SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

My concern is: Everything I've heard suggests that they didn't get the number of declines that they were expecting. So maybe they overextended themselves in the actual original sending out of awards, and now there's nothing left?

It's possible, but it would surprise me if a program would take such a risk. It also goes against the post you wrote that all SDF/CGS offered would be given. I cannot offer any other hypothesis to explain the wait. I always fear that the people that could lift the hold don't know that everybody is waiting after them...

Upside (somehow), in only four months, it's Christmas!

Also remember that last year's first wave only started at the end of August, so we aren't too far behind...

I'm not so much worried as I am just loathing the acceptance/payment/returning-current-fellowship process. It'd be a serious bunch of hoops to jump through. Especially when all I'm doing is RETURNING MONEY.

Canuck

I have a good feeling this game is going to continue for a while. It'd be strange to not have any waitlists move. But of course, stranger things have happened in this world.

EDIT: Phalene and SpaceJump, are you two still harassing them? Are they giving up anything?

Edited by Canuckonomist

Ok, WTF?

http://www.sshrc-crs...cgs-bes_doc.pdf

These are all American institutions... these people aren't eligible for the $105k!!

Don't put too much stock in what the lists say. They're mostly up to show off what kind of research is getting funded. No official importance. Somewhat-embarrassing-example: being apparently a raging egotist, I searched for myself on that link you posted. I'm not on the CGS list. I show up on the fellowship list, despite having received my new offer of award many, many weeks ago. Just like I'm on the small list but getting the big award, I bet the folks studying in the states are on the big list, but receiving the small award.

From SSHRC:

"You are correct in your impression below: namely that a person receiving a SSHRC CGS must be registered at a Canadian university. I have brought the document that you cite below to the attention of Nadine XXX and Christine XXX, both of whom are Program Officers working on the doctoral awards administration for the 2010-2011 year. They should be able to address the concerns that you raise below."

No word on whether this means anything good for me LOL. :P

Got another email from a different program officer. They aren't really sure what's going on but at first glance it appears Mudlark is right and that these lists are of the initial CGS and SSHRC winners. I think they might have been posted because of that announcement/photo op thing with Tony Clement. I'll let you know if I get any other information.

Canuck, are you still planning on checking in on a regular basis to see if there's any updated information on the hold?

Got another email from a different program officer. They aren't really sure what's going on but at first glance it appears Mudlark is right and that these lists are of the initial CGS and SSHRC winners. I think they might have been posted because of that announcement/photo op thing with Tony Clement. I'll let you know if I get any other information.

Canuck, are you still planning on checking in on a regular basis to see if there's any updated information on the hold?

Maybe. I don't know what regular basis will be, or whether pestering them at all is really worth anything, since it seems that either they'll know, and pass the info on, or won't know anything whatsoever.

I'm a little bit miffed that all I needed was either one vanier to accept or one of the other 34 winners to decline to get one, and that there seems to be no word on whether that has happened yet -especially because payments start soon (or have already started). You think they'd at least know unofficially, even if they can't say so officially, if either of those has happened.

Canuck

New data!

I think the list contains the name/project of people who accepted an offer and their original offer. So somebody going to the US could have been offered a CGS initially, but had to refuse it. If the list is complete, there are approximately 25 to 27 (about 15 sdf and about 12 CGS) topics that would fit the economic sub-committee. I was fairly generous, meaning that I think I also raked some commerce projects. If Canuck was right, and there were 36 scholarships offered in the econ sub-committee, then approximately 9 people never accepted the offer in the worst-case scenario. Two of those are probably the Vaniers. Depending on what the remaining seven got (20k, 40k, 60k or 80k) and the years of the students in the waiting list, there has to be movement. If the list is incomplete, I should have spent the 20 minutes reviewing the Bellman equations...

At least it's a bit of optimism!

Now we know why everything was so slow: they were constructing that .pdf document. Now that it's done, there will probably be some time to count the money awarded and send emails. Best of luck to all!

Thanks, ChanEcon. I like your thinking. I'm not entirely sure, though, that the sub-committee I'm in is just econ. It's very possible that it's a mix. That said, there has to be something going on with the Vaniers, if nothing else. That is the hope I cling to.

Canuck

Edited by Canuckonomist

Thanks, ChanEcon. I like your thinking. I'm not entirely sure, though, that the sub-committee I'm in is just econ. It's very possible that it's a mix. That said, there has to be something going on with the Vaniers, if nothing else. That is the hope I cling to.

If our sub-committee is not only econ, then I don't understand why there is a sub-committee. I don't see an econ profs judging HR projects... Thirty six is also a reasonable number. Think of all the PhD students in economics in Canada and abroad.

As MSP said when she told you that you were first on the waiting list, I am convinced that you're getting it. It's just a long and painful experience. In my case, it's a bit trickier. We'll see, another four months!

I think the subcommittees are a mix - this is why they caution you not to use disciplinary jargon - because anyone could be evaluating your application.

I have yet to receive my follow up email from SSHRC. I might send a note at the end of the week. (I think I've pretty much given up at this point, lol).

I remember being told by the Guru herself that the subcommittees are mixed. Who knows why they call them that. Anyhow, I'll keep up my contact bi-weekly, which means an e-mail on monday. With luck, one monday morning, we may be given a timeline for when things might get moving. Or hear that they never will. Either way, info is info.

Canuck

Just because I'm still slightly neurotic about this whole thing, I checked the Vanier list and found at least one (perhaps two) economics winners, and they're listed at Canadian universities, so unlike the earlier CGS list boondaggle, they most likely accepted the award and are holding it. That should mean I'm in (and perhaps SpaceJump is too, in his category) but they haven't budged that list yet. Terribly frustrating, to say the least, but nothing new.

I think I'll move my e-mails up to friday afternoon, bi-weekly.

(Also, Royksopp is excellent writing music, and not just for car insurance commericals)

Edited by Canuckonomist

Just because I'm still slightly neurotic about this whole thing, I checked the Vanier list and found at least one (perhaps two) economics winners, and they're listed at Canadian universities, so unlike the earlier CGS list boondaggle, they most likely accepted the award and are holding it. That should mean I'm in (and perhaps SpaceJump is too, in his category) but they haven't budged that list yet. Terribly frustrating, to say the least, but nothing new.

I think I'll move my e-mails up to friday afternoon, bi-weekly.

(Also, Royksopp is excellent writing music, and not just for car insurance commericals)

Based on my understanding, this is not necessarily true. There are 5 types of selection committees for the SSHRC doctoral awards: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/apply-demande/background-renseignements/doctoral_committees-comites_doctorat-eng.aspx. Within each of these categories, there are several smaller committees, made up of at least 1 faculty member from each of the disciplines. Thus, you could be waiting for someone in law, business, polisci, etc to decline a Vanier, and those 2 economics Vaniers could have been in other subcommittees than you.

Edited by dramanda

Based on my understanding, this is not necessarily true. There are 5 types of selection committees for the SSHRC doctoral awards: http://www.sshrc-crs...torat-eng.aspx. Within each of these categories, there are several smaller committees, made up of at least 1 faculty member from each of the disciplines. Thus, you could be waiting for someone in law, business, polisci, etc to decline a Vanier, and those 2 economics Vaniers could have been in other subcommittees than you.

I'm not waiting on a decline, I'm waiting on one acceptance, but I see your point. I know there are two Vanier winners in my subgroup, but I don't know exactly who they are.