SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

My biggest worry is that if it takes them 2-3 (or more) months to settle the first round of the waiting list, will there be enough time before December to go through a second round? I think not.

I have given up and have started my application for next year... My secret hope is that I will get an email from SSHRC when I will have done all the work for the 2011-2012 application. It's not that secret anymore...

Does anybody what would happen in the following (very hypothetical) case? Let's say I get an email from SSHRC in December saying that I got a SDF, and then I get the letter in May saying that I got CGS. What would I get?

That being said, best of luck to everybody!

I have given up and have started my application for next year... My secret hope is that I will get an email from SSHRC when I will have done all the work for the 2011-2012 application. It's not that secret anymore...

This happened to a friend of mine. Five people at my university got late SSHRC offers in January of last year.

Does anybody what would happen in the following (very hypothetical) case? Let's say I get an email from SSHRC in December saying that I got a SDF, and then I get the letter in May saying that I got CGS. What would I get?

If you accept the first offer, they pull you from the second competition and give your spot in the Ottawa pool to the next person on the waitlist. Obviously, it can be a really hard decision. The person I know in this situation had come up with a completely new project that she was very excited about and hoped to win a CGS with. Then she got a late offer of an SDF for her old, less sexy proposal. She took the SDF--it'd take a lot of balls and a little insanity to give up on sure money for a chance at better--but I think she'll always wonder if that second proposal would have hit the jackpot.

The good news is that if you pick up a SSHRC in January, you get retroactive money to your start date (either May or September). So you could get a nice pile all at once. Of course, you could also lose your internal funding depending on your school, so it could all be moot. With the person I know, she had to PAY BACK an internal award in order to pick up retroactive SSHRC money, and it all came out in the wash.

holy crap, people are still waiting on answers from last year? wow.

i've got my proposal to my letter-writers and now i'm just refining and tinkering and trying to cram the final version into the max. length. i'm applying from a US school so i get to mail it in myself, postdated for nov. 10. i feel good about the topic and my CV is pretty plump considering i've only completed 1 year of a masters program so far.

i'm so insanely busy with other projects that i don't even have time to stress over this, which is actually rather nice. i'm sure in may, when classes are over and i've defended my masters, it'll be a different story. i'm gonna wear out the f5 button refreshing my email.

And it'll be a longer wait, still. I'm holding out for results by the 8th of October based on Phalene's info, but even that feels unlikely.

I really hope you hear soon. Partly because you all seem like nice people and I want you to get money, and partly so I can stop checking this frickin thread! I can't leave until it gets resolved!

I really hope you hear soon. Partly because you all seem like nice people and I want you to get money, and partly so I can stop checking this frickin thread! I can't leave until it gets resolved!

Thanks, Mudlark. I wager we are all nice people. Seriously though, this thread had the potential for 2000 posts, but I'm doubting that now that information has run completely dry. That said, I've cut down to checking this thread once or twice a day. I'm kicking the habit, so I tell myself.

I know that I, for one, am done contacting SSHRC for more information. I've assumed that, despite what they've been telling us all summer, there will be no more awards given. My focus now is on my application for next year.

Best of luck, all!

One kind of interesting thing I've noticed is that SSHRC doesn't appear to be offering some of the supplementary fellowships this year (Ross, etc). Makes me wonder what is going on financially with them...

I really wish we had more information (I seem to be wishing this a lot, lol). I might try contacting them one last time at the end of October, but I'm not sure it would really do anything.

One kind of interesting thing I've noticed is that SSHRC doesn't appear to be offering some of the supplementary fellowships this year (Ross, etc). Makes me wonder what is going on financially with them...

If I were SSHRC, and I had tens of students contacting me every week, wouldn't the easiest thing be to tell them that "due to budgetary restrictions, we unfortunately are unable..." And yet, they keep saying that money is on the way somehow, and that we just have to be patient. Anyway, I don't know anything, and applying rational models to SSHRC has been failing for the last 4 months. As an economist, it's just hard not to assume some form of rationality. It would great to get SSHRC into a lab.

I know that I, for one, am done contacting SSHRC for more information. I've assumed that, despite what they've been telling us all summer, there will be no more awards given. My focus now is on my application for next year.

Best of luck, all!

I've started an application, and will submit one to hedge my bets, but given that it's only been 3 months since the first awards went out, and people have received awards as far away as 4 months from now, that does sort of give us the faintest glimmer of hope, since they haven't really told us, "There will be no more awards given out this year". Not only that, but Phalene had the e-mail that distinctly said there were doctoral awards being given out. Though that may have not been the case at the time the e-mail was sent, there is at least one program officer that believes there are more awards to be sent. It seems ridiculous that there wouldn't be some form of first round for SOMEONE, given the Vanier situation.

Of course, SSHRC has been defying all logic for a while now. Maybe they told us we were high on the waitlist, and just lied.

I finally decided to email my program officer about a week ago to probe about the hold and/or to find out if my position (#4) on the waitlist had changed. yesterday I got a response saying she was still working on my request, then today she emailed me to say there was no movement yet and I am still #7 on the 'alternates' list. (!) #7? I have no idea how I went from #4 (with a "small chance of being offered a grant" - her words) to #7. I didn't realize we could drop on the waitlist! I quickly emailed back and she said she'd look into it for me. I'll keep you posted when she responds.

looks like there will be no word from my PO today. doesn't it seem odd that someone's position on the waitlist can get worse? hoping it's an error. in better news, my laptop broke...but i had 7 days of AppleCare left! nice.

Edited by transboundary

looks like there will be no word from my PO today. doesn't it seem odd that someone's position on the waitlist can get worse? hoping it's an error. in better news, my laptop broke...but i had 7 days of AppleCare left! nice.

It does sound very strange. I don't fully understand this idea of sub-committee or at least my understanding does not seem to match reality. Anyway my hypothesis would be that they have re-mixed/consolidated the sub-committees (which would explain the length of the hold). There might have been subcommittees with people with a mark of 20 in the waiting list, so they would have been distributed across the other sub-committees to even it out. I have no idea whether this happened, purely an idea. I hope for you (and for me) that it was a mistake. Best of luck!

Edited by ChanEcon

To me, it'd be strange if they 're-mixed' the subcommittees, as it would defeat the purpose of their existence in the first place. I imagine they exist because each group's ratings will be different from other subcomittees, but consistent within them. That is, if one group gave higher marks than another, mixing them up totally screws over #1 on the alternate's list of a sub-committee that had a 16.5 compared to my 17.9, or perhaps the case where someone 3rd on a list with a 18.2 screws me over.

At least I'm hoping they didn't reshuffle.

To me, it'd be strange if they 're-mixed' the subcommittees, as it would defeat the purpose of their existence in the first place. I imagine they exist because each group's ratings will be different from other subcomittees, but consistent within them. That is, if one group gave higher marks than another, mixing them up totally screws over #1 on the alternate's list of a sub-committee that had a 16.5 compared to my 17.9, or perhaps the case where someone 3rd on a list with a 18.2 screws me over.

At least I'm hoping they didn't reshuffle.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they didn't consolidate the waitlist, for the reasons you listed above. Also, based on my experience last year, subcommittee alternate lists were never consolidated.

So many people hanging around this thread... Do we actually think something is going to happen today?

EDIT: Sitting here learning about (partial) autocorrelations in financial time series to do some ridiculous assignment. Good news would make this all better.

45 minutes until they shut down for lunch.

Edited by Canuckonomist