SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

thanks for all the helpful info, all.

my grad program director recently informed me that there are actually fewer SSHRCs to go around this year for those of us in non-business categories. some of the funds for the business SSHRC's have apparently come out of our pot. :(

has anyone else heard this??

so, i have what is probably a silly question about A list and B lists (my school is not that helpful with info about this stuff....)

how do you know what list you are on? I got an email from sshrc at the end of jan saying they got my stuff, but my university does not answer my emails (grrr....)...I will go to the info session next year, but i am not sure what that email actually means)

also, good luck to everyone. it is comforting to know that the stress is shared across the board.

so, i have what is probably a silly question about A list and B lists (my school is not that helpful with info about this stuff....)

how do you know what list you are on? I got an email from sshrc at the end of jan saying they got my stuff, but my university does not answer my emails (grrr....)...I will go to the info session next year, but i am not sure what that email actually means)

hey Randall,

I think the way it works is that A-list applicants go on to Ottawa, and B-list applicants don't. The university-level cut is what determines this. So, if SSHRC said they received your stuff, you are an A-list applicant.

That's my understanding, at least.

Hope this helps!

Yup, that's right. Forwarded = A list.

I hadn't heard anything about business SSHRCs directly taking money away from the regular pool. It might be that the regular pool got cut a bit while the business funding, as part of the economic stimulus package, had a set amount committed to it when that package was passed. I mean, don't get me started on the business related bullshit, but I haven't heard anything like what you heard.

NSERC results are typically released about a month before SSHRC results. I would think we still have some waiting to do, sadly...

On the plus side, OGS results are supposed to be out later this week!

Anyone else waiting on multiple pieces of news this month? While I'm sitting here writing my term papers, I should be getting responses to two conference applications, my teaching assignment for fall, news about whether the grad committee passed my thesis proposal, and SSHRC. Off to a good start so far, with one conference acceptance and the perfect teaching assignment... hopefully the other pieces of news will continue the upward trend.

Soo.. while a bunch of SSHRC people are watching this :P:

I'm in the 4th year of my BA and going somewhere else for an MA + PhD program, so I applied for the MA SSHRC and OGS. Next year presumably I'll apply for a PhD SSHRC (the MA of the MA+PhD is 1 year)... but presumably all my letter writers will be people from my undergrad, since I'll have been at UofT for all of 2 months by the time the deadline hits. I'm starting to think I should work a lot on my proposal this summer while I'm in the same city as the profs that know me?

Or am I expected to work on it really fast when I get there? Or am I expected to apply for it after I've been there for a year (But I think that option's out, because I think they require all eligible students to apply).

how much do you guys try to publish? Is it realistic to aim for 1-2 pubs per year?

(looking at philosophy/ literature/ social and political thought people in general, because i know it varies a lot based on program of study)

)... but presumably all my letter writers will be people from my undergrad, since I'll have been at UofT for all of 2 months by the time the deadline hits. I'm starting to think I should work a lot on my proposal this summer while I'm in the same city as the profs that know me?

Or am I expected to work on it really fast when I get there? Or am I expected to apply for it after I've been there for a year (But I think that option's out, because I think they require all eligible students to apply).

I used letters from my MA professors, and so did a lot of folk I know. They're the stronger letters, since they know me. I didn't even have a supervisor nailed down until a couple of months ago! Getting PhD letter writers on such short notice would not have worked.

how much do you guys try to publish? Is it realistic to aim for 1-2 pubs per year?

(looking at philosophy/ literature/ social and political thought people in general, because i know it varies a lot based on program of study)

Most lit PhD students I know haven't/won't have published anything until their second or third year. I've heard again and again from people that the projects they *thought* were publishable coming out of their MAs turned out to be nonviable once they learned more about their field through grad coursework and exams. I know several CGS winners without publications, too, so this isn't just me being naive about what the supahstars are doing. ;)

OGS results are up, came out this morning on the website. I got it, which is a relief in regards to waiting for SSHRC. How's everybody feeling?

Impatient. :) I got OGS, but I can't use it. The rent is crap and good apartments in short supply where I'm headed, so the more funding the better!

OGS results took the edge off... for about half an hour, lol!! Hopefully SSHRC results will come out faster than I think they will (though I'm sticking to my prediction of April 30).

Hi all,

I posted this question in another topic as well, but it's bugging me so I thought I'd maximize the potential exposure.

I have applied to SSHRC and FQRSC, and though I'm anxious about getting either, I'd really like to know whether you can receive both or if you're forced to accept only one. I would pick the SSHRC as it offers more money, but it would be lovely to have both and not have to work part time or go into bowels of debt.

You can't both.. it is not possible to concurrently use two provincial/governmental awards. You'd have to accept only one of the awards; this goes the same for people who won OGS/SSHRC or OGS/FQRSC and so on. As you said, since SSHRC gives out more money, it is better to accept them; it is the more prestigious award as well, so perhaps that's another reason why people decline the provincial ones over it.

You would be forced to take the SSHRC if you got both.

Hi all,

I posted this question in another topic as well, but it's bugging me so I thought I'd maximize the potential exposure.

I have applied to SSHRC and FQRSC, and though I'm anxious about getting either, I'd really like to know whether you can receive both or if you're forced to accept only one. I would pick the SSHRC as it offers more money, but it would be lovely to have both and not have to work part time or go into bowels of debt.

It's 2 out of 3 for me. Yesterday I got the OGS, today got into a conference.... now I really want to hear about my SSHRC!

I'm sitting at 3 for 5. Got my thesis + committee approved, got into a conference (in Hawaii!), and got a perfect teaching assignment for fall. Now I just need to hear about SSHRC, and the more prestigious conference that I'm a long shot for.

I've been so good about not stressing this year, but now that it's mid-April I'm losing it.

I sent an email to SSHRC asking if they had picked a date to send the letters out on Tuesday.

The good news: they sent a reply within an hour.

The bad news: apparently no specific date has been selected to send the letters, and they are still aiming for "towards the end of April". It looks like Vanier letters have been sent out though, according to another thread...

I sent an email to SSHRC asking if they had picked a date to send the letters out on Tuesday.

The good news: they sent a reply within an hour.

The bad news: apparently no specific date has been selected to send the letters, and they are still aiming for "towards the end of April". It looks like Vanier letters have been sent out though, according to another thread...

Vanier, but not for SSHRC. The other threads I believe were CIHR and NSERC, but not SSHRC. There's still hope.

Vanier, but not for SSHRC. The other threads I believe were CIHR and NSERC, but not SSHRC. There's still hope.

SSHRC Vanier results are out too, someone in my program heard from them today.

SSHRC Vanier results are out too, someone in my program heard from them today.

Oh? Damn! Do you know if they heard by e-mail, snail mail, call,...?

Edited by euges720

In my previous experiences with SSHRC (being unsuccessful and being recommended but not funded) I was always first informed by email by the Grad Chair of the department, then received the snail-mail letter from SSHRC about a week later. Some grad chairs don't do this, though, so some of us will be hearing by snail mail first.