SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

A friend of mine who received one of the special business SSHRCs in August 2009 said that he heard at the end of the day on the very last day of the month that was posted as the deadline (via email from the awards secretary in the grad studies office), so we might be hearing about notifications through the university on April 30th.

Does the school distribute the payments if you are in the US? Seems weird to me.

Ah, that makes sense! The people you should really be asking are the awards workers at your faculty of graduate studies. You don't get a paycheck directly from SSHRC. They give the money to your school, who then doles it out. Different schools have different set ups. My MA school paid you bi-weekly, while my PhD school pays monthly.

If you win a PhD SSHRC, it will support you up to the end of your fourth year of study, so you might want to set your start date to make it last right up to that date.

Forgive me if the following is obvious, but it sounds like it might be helpful. It helps not to think of SSHRC as a set amount, but as a promise of financial support for a set period of time. SSHRC supports graduate students up through the 24th month of their MA program (to a max of one year of funding) and through the 48th month of their PhD programs (to a max of three years of funding for the 'big' SSHRC ($35,000/year) and four years for the 'small' SSHRC ($20,000/year). So you can get big SSHRC for years 1-3 or years 2-4, and you can get small SSHRC for years 1-4, 2-4, 3-4, or just 4. The amount goes down with each passing year, since the yearly payout remains the same, but you're not eligible for as many years of support. So if you won small SSHRC for year one you'd receive a total of $80,000, and if you won a small SSHRC for year four you'd receive a total of $20,000.

Ok, so the timing thing. For example, I'm in my first year now, and would be picking up a PhD SSHRC for my second year if I won. Again, SSHRC supports PhD students up through the 48th month of their PhD programs-- in my case, with my Sept 2009 start, that's August 2013. The trick is to match the date at which you're no longer eligible with the date at which your SSHRC runs out. Now, if I hypothetically started getting payments in May 2010, then I would run out of SSHRC in April 2013. But if I start getting payments in September 2010, then my SSHRC doesn't run out until August 2013. Since I have good funding for this summer, I could hypothetically gain an extra summer's worth of funding by timing my SSHRC out properly (I'd have to give up this summer's funding if I started on SSHRC). Since a lot of scholarships and other funding opportunities are only available up through your 48th month, when we're all *supposed* to finish, it's smart to max out what you're making in those first four years and make sure you're covered right up til the end of them. Of course, my program has an average completion time of 5.5 years, but funding gets scarce for 5th and 6th year students.

Hope this is helpful.

Does the school distribute the payments if you are in the US? Seems weird to me.

Those who study at foreign Universities I believe are getting paid by cheques that are sent by regular mail (to the student's choice of address) twice a year; meaning, each cheque covers 6 months worth of funding. Also, they say the cheque is in the currency of the country in which the student studies (quite convenient isn't it?).

The only thing that is done through the University is getting an official there to say you're studying full-time and not working anywhere.

<br />^^ Yep. Couldn't help myself and ended up emailing them. Got the same response, word for word, as an earlier poster on this thread.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Question, does SSHRC normally respond to emails, I fired off a couple emails last week to the address listed on the web site, but never got a response.

Ah, that makes sense! The people you should really be asking are the awards workers at your faculty of graduate studies. You don't get a paycheck directly from SSHRC. They give the money to your school, who then doles it out. Different schools have different set ups. My MA school paid you bi-weekly, while my PhD school pays monthly.

If you win a PhD SSHRC, it will support you up to the end of your fourth year of study, so you might want to set your start date to make it last right up to that date.

Forgive me if the following is obvious, but it sounds like it might be helpful. It helps not to think of SSHRC as a set amount, but as a promise of financial support for a set period of time. SSHRC supports graduate students up through the 24th month of their MA program (to a max of one year of funding) and through the 48th month of their PhD programs (to a max of three years of funding for the 'big' SSHRC ($35,000/year) and four years for the 'small' SSHRC ($20,000/year). So you can get big SSHRC for years 1-3 or years 2-4, and you can get small SSHRC for years 1-4, 2-4, 3-4, or just 4. The amount goes down with each passing year, since the yearly payout remains the same, but you're not eligible for as many years of support. So if you won small SSHRC for year one you'd receive a total of $80,000, and if you won a small SSHRC for year four you'd receive a total of $20,000.

Ok, so the timing thing. For example, I'm in my first year now, and would be picking up a PhD SSHRC for my second year if I won. Again, SSHRC supports PhD students up through the 48th month of their PhD programs-- in my case, with my Sept 2009 start, that's August 2013. The trick is to match the date at which you're no longer eligible with the date at which your SSHRC runs out. Now, if I hypothetically started getting payments in May 2010, then I would run out of SSHRC in April 2013. But if I start getting payments in September 2010, then my SSHRC doesn't run out until August 2013. Since I have good funding for this summer, I could hypothetically gain an extra summer's worth of funding by timing my SSHRC out properly (I'd have to give up this summer's funding if I started on SSHRC). Since a lot of scholarships and other funding opportunities are only available up through your 48th month, when we're all *supposed* to finish, it's smart to max out what you're making in those first four years and make sure you're covered right up til the end of them. Of course, my program has an average completion time of 5.5 years, but funding gets scarce for 5th and 6th year students.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for your reply!

Here is one more question that I was thinking of after receiving your answer. I am "attempting" to finish in 3 years and this is the start of my third year. However, do they distinguish between graduation and completion date? Here in the US it can go either way, you can graduate in May but complete in august or you can complete in May and graduate in August. Would that make a difference in payment?

And now that I understand what you are saying, can you change your start date from the one you put on the application date? I put May but it may be better to put September... Another post also said that canadians in US universities get 2 checks, 1 every 6 months... than my start date may not matter.

April 28... can you believe that I have lost some weight form all this stress? haha does not help that I am finishing my candacacy exams as well...

Thanks!

Yes, they are pretty good with answering emails, I have found. Does anyone know the answer to this question: if I am enrolled at a foreign institution (1st year PhD), will I be notified by my department before I receive my letter? Or do people studying at foreign institutions not get any info through their dept?

<br /><br /><br />

Question, does SSHRC normally respond to emails, I fired off a couple emails last week to the address listed on the web site, but never got a response.

Here is one more question that I was thinking of after receiving your answer. I am "attempting" to finish in 3 years and this is the start of my third year. However, do they distinguish between graduation and completion date? Here in the US it can go either way, you can graduate in May but complete in august or you can complete in May and graduate in August. Would that make a difference in payment?

Ooh, not sure. It probably goes by how long you're registered as a full time student. If you graduate in May, are you still registered until you complete?

And now that I understand what you are saying, can you change your start date from the one you put on the application date? I put May but it may be better to put September... Another post also said that canadians in US universities get 2 checks, 1 every 6 months... than my start date may not matter.

April 28... can you believe that I have lost some weight form all this stress? haha does not help that I am finishing my candacacy exams as well...

Thanks!

Well normally I would say go ask your awards admin folk, but since you're in the US, that won't work. It might be worth e-mailing SSHRC and asking them these questions. They are pretty responsive over e-mail. I know that when I won my MA award, my grad studies office actually went in and changed the start date without telling me--changed it from Sept to May. But that was to help me get my full award, so I'm glad they did it. (I showed up all anxious to change my start date, and they were like "We did that before we forwarded you!"). If I win, I'll be talking to my current office just to make sure that I can keep my summer funding and start in Sept.

But yeah, I'm pretty clueless about non-Canadian payouts, so you should check with someone who knows better!

Ooh, not sure. It probably goes by how long you're registered as a full time student. If you graduate in May, are you still registered until you complete?

Ah I see. Yes, I will be a full-time student through the summer for sure as I am saving up some dissertation hours just in case. Also, has it happened that you get part of year 4 or do you have to complete your entire year 4 to get the grant.

Thanks! This forum helps! I appreciate your assistance!

If I am enrolled at a foreign institution (1st year PhD), will I be notified by my department before I receive my letter? Or do people studying at foreign institutions not get any info through their dept? Or is it only current undergrads who are notified through their dept? Very confused. :S

If I am enrolled at a foreign institution (1st year PhD), will I be notified by my department before I receive my letter? Or do people studying at foreign institutions not get any info through their dept? Or is it only current undergrads who are notified through their dept? Very confused. :S

I'm also at a foreign institution. My understanding is that we deal directly with SSHRC, so the letter will be our only notification about whether we have been awarded a SSHRC. The only thing the department will do is sign off that you are enrolled once if you receive the award.

SSHRC finally responded to my query

"All results will be mailed out at the start of May."

So I guess we wait a bit more...

I must say, I have been checking this thread every day for the last two or so weeks to see if anyone has heard anything. I am a first year PhD student, and I didn't have a SSHRC or OGS coming into this year (I was working all last year, and didn't even apply). Got put on the reversion list for the OGS and am essentially losing my mind waiting to hear from SSHRC. The waiting game gets tougher to play with each passing day...,

I would not hazard a guess as to an exact date, but what scares/excites me is that to facilitate the "at the start of May" release, it means that decisions have already been made, and someone oy there knows my fate!!!!

Hmm, doesn't "start of May" mean (given the context) first day of May that is a business day, i.e., next Monday? Is this an atypical/overly optimistic interpretation of that statement, or are we too cynical for our own good? :)

Just hoping on here. In Ontario and also waiting on SSHRC. Heard from OGS April 14th - my status was updated on the OGS website. Very annoyed with the waiting game! Glad to find this forum :).

Did you apply through a university or directly through sshrc????

quote name='sebastiaan' date='02 February 2010 - 09:26 AM' timestamp='' post='103046']

Hey!

I got a letter from SHHRC last week saying that they received my PhD application.

Best of luck!

Sbeastian

According to a SSHRC news release yesterday: "A total of 7,957 applications for master’s, doctoral and postdoctoral scholarship and fellowship support were adjudicated at SSHRC in 2010-11."Another indication that results are ready to be released. My department tells me that for this year, applicants will find out before the Universities, and that we have to wait on the letters.

According to a SSHRC news release yesterday: "A total of 7,957 applications for master’s, doctoral and postdoctoral scholarship and fellowship support were adjudicated at SSHRC in 2010-11."Another indication that results are ready to be released. My department tells me that for this year, applicants will find out before the Universities, and that we have to wait on the letters.

Hmmm... that seems to be good news, though we have no idea whether all of these bits of info (press releases, emails) are just stringing us on a little longer. Still, it doesn't hurt to be hopeful. It sounds like the results are ready to be sent out yet, we just don't know how long the results will take to reach us. Anyone know from previous years?

I was really counting on the department finding out first So... was keeping an eye on my email. Last year I was told by my department more than a week before I got my letter. Maybe longer. It was a significant gap anyway.

Well it's only supposed to take 2-3 days to mail a letter anywhere in Canada, right? The only problem is, how long will it take them to send out 8000 letters? I am at the end of the alphabet and on the west side of the country, so someone please post as soon as they get their letter, because then I will know mine is coming in 2 or 3 days!

Just wondering... am I the only grad out there who's really worried that not being in law/business will affect my chances? It's hard to argue that archaeology is useful to Canada in a concrete sense. But I did get a SSHRC in my MA program, so who knows?

Well -- yes and no. I'm in music, so I feel that. I had no trouble getting scholarships in my MA...the PhD is a different beast entirely and so far I have been less than successful. You're not going to be competing directly with Law and Business applications, only other applications in your field. There may be more money allocated to business-related degrees (I don't know), but SSHRC is still awarding lots of grants to the humanities. I think I'd be most worried about the level of competition being much much higher more than what discipline you're in.