SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

Early December? You're getting ahead of yourself, there! :lol:

Yeah. A bit of a slip. Perhaps that's the month that's on my mind. <_<

(And yah, RaaR, I see you lurking. I'm still waiting for this so-called 'almost sure-thing'.)

Edited by Canuckonomist

got some news!

"Yes, my initial hypothesis was right in that it listed candidates who were eligible to receive a CGS provided that they haven’t started their program already and that they would take it up at a Canadian university.

I have looked into your status and was told that you are next in line for an award in your sub-group. There is no hold anymore on the offer of awards who are on the waiting list. We are still giving away doctoral awards to candidates on the waiting list. I would encourage you to monitor your email closely in the next few weeks. [...]"

This doesn't necessarily mean I'll be bumped up, but I'm happy to know that things are moving again.

got some news!

"Yes, my initial hypothesis was right in that it listed candidates who were eligible to receive a CGS provided that they haven’t started their program already and that they would take it up at a Canadian university.

I have looked into your status and was told that you are next in line for an award in your sub-group. There is no hold anymore on the offer of awards who are on the waiting list. We are still giving away doctoral awards to candidates on the waiting list. I would encourage you to monitor your email closely in the next few weeks. [...]"

This doesn't necessarily mean I'll be bumped up, but I'm happy to know that things are moving again.

(In the wise words of Ruffio,) Bang-a-rang!

I just sent off my e-mail to MSP before reading this, so perhaps we'll hear more for DF students. It's good to know things are moving again, and that they didn't just scrap the waitlists. Glad to hear you're next in line for the CGS, and here's hoping you get it!

I may be back with more information later.

Love from West Toronto,

Canuck

Edited by Canuckonomist

Alright.

So Phalene's e-mail spells the end of information for us, so it seems. Michelle's most recent e-mail to me severs all ties:

"Unfortunately, at this stage we have been advised to let any alternate applicants know that should they be offered an award, we will contact them via email. No other information is available at this time. [...]"

So perhaps one could read into this that there are still awards to be offered. I inquired about whether the Vaniers in my group had accepted, along with an inquiry about the hold, and this was all she was able to say. I wager she would have been a little more apologetic and broke the news to me gently, should this have marked the end of everything.

So we shall hold on tight, for the next few weeks. My SSHRC deadline is October 30th, so I think I'll hold off on bothering my referees to just re-submit the same letter until early october. With luck, I'll never have to.

Best to all you waiters out there, professional and amateur alike.

Canuck

Edited by Canuckonomist

Canuck: Did she mention anything about the hold being lifted, like th email Phalene got? I only ask because I had also sent in an email on Friday, and only now got a response, and all it said was "still no news." No specifics on anything.

I'm really trying to keep positive!

Canuck: Did she mention anything about the hold being lifted, like th email Phalene got? I only ask because I had also sent in an email on Friday, and only now got a response, and all it said was "still no news." No specifics on anything.

I'm really trying to keep positive!

No, she mentioned nothing of the sort. Perhaps she knows less than other POs? I'm surprised you didn't get the same response I did.

Well, keep in mind Phalene's e-mail said '...monitor your e-mail closely over the next FEW weeks.' It's only monday, and everything starts slowly in a public institution on a Monday.

Edited by Canuckonomist

Just to give you my update, in june I was told I was next on the list to get bumped up to a big SSHRC and still no news for me. Still waiting...

Yeah, most of us are in the same boat. I'm first on the list to be bumped to a SSHRC DF, and Phalene is first on the list for a big SSHRC in their sub-committee. It's mostly no news all around, but that's probably due to the hold. From Phalene's information, that hold is over, and we should expect movement SOMEWHERE (on which lists, we don't know,) in the next few weeks. Perhaps by the end of september.

Who knows with SSHRC anymore, right? *twitch*

I do know that the woman I spoke to is one of two program officers tasked with administering the doctoral awards, so presumably she would know what she is talking about. I am guessing that other POs are saying the hold is still on because they don't want students emailing them... not that this plan seems to be working terribly well, lol.

Who knows with SSHRC anymore, right? *twitch*

I do know that the woman I spoke to is one of two program officers tasked with administering the doctoral awards, so presumably she would know what she is talking about. I am guessing that other POs are saying the hold is still on because they don't want students emailing them... not that this plan seems to be working terribly well, lol.

Here's hoping, I suppose. Did she say why the hold was off? Did more money come in? Other people declining? And she was definitely talking about the doctoral awards, not the post-docs or masters?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm just... discouraged. And I don't take anything from SSHRC at face value anymore. :rolleyes:

I can sympathize with the discouragement. I just got word that my TA money is awkwardly broken up -instead of $1400 each month, it's $700/mo Sep-Dec, and $2100 Jan-Apr. Makes things a tad tighter this term than I had planned. Not awful, just worse.

The thing I don't understand is how they can't tell who has declined and who hasn't yet. They must know by now, and I highly doubt there are budget issues. They're doing things by the book, I'm sure, so they sent out the required number of awards, got the declines, and should be dishing out the leftovers. Odds are good there should be leftovers, and atleast Vanier acceptances, since the list they released included only people attending Canadian universities... and who would turn down a Vanier if they could hold it?

I'm not saying I deserve an award, or that they owe me one, just that they owe me, and everyone else, a whole lot of information.

Canuck

Edited by Canuckonomist

Here's hoping, I suppose. Did she say why the hold was off? Did more money come in? Other people declining? And she was definitely talking about the doctoral awards, not the post-docs or masters?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm just... discouraged. And I don't take anything from SSHRC at face value anymore. :rolleyes:

I quoted the email exactly. No other information here. :(