SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

Does anyone actually think we'll hear anything today?

I keep flailing at my computer and yelling "What is taking you guys so LONG, omg!" (I am not necessarily getting that much work done).

Does anyone actually think we'll hear anything today?

I keep flailing at my computer and yelling "What is taking you guys so LONG, omg!" (I am not necessarily getting that much work done).

It's still lunchtime in ottawa.

my PO just responded. it appears she made a mistake in May when she told me i was 4th on the waitlist, and again in June when she told me i had a 'small chance of being offered an award'. i am actually 7th on the waitlist. seems pretty sketchy to me. but at least now i know for sure i'm out of the running and don't have to be on the edge of my seat waiting for an email. onward to the next SSHRC application. my school's deadline is Nov. 5th, lots of time to crank last year's application up a notch or two.

my PO just responded. it appears she made a mistake in May when she told me i was 4th on the waitlist, and again in June when she told me i had a 'small chance of being offered an award'. i am actually 7th on the waitlist. seems pretty sketchy to me. but at least now i know for sure i'm out of the running and don't have to be on the edge of my seat waiting for an email. onward to the next SSHRC application. my school's deadline is Nov. 5th, lots of time to crank last year's application up a notch or two.

Rough. Very rough. Sorry to hear that, mate. I'm wondering if MSP made the same mistake about me, but since she cut ties with me, I'll never know,

Canuck

Edited by Canuckonomist

There's been no movement on my waitlist at all.

Phrases like this one are strange, because you don't know whether they mean that they haven't started moving it, or that there isn't enough funds to move it. If it's the latter, than it'll never move. You think they'd know by now which one it is.

EDIT: I'm going to try my best to ignore everything until November begins.

Edited by Canuckonomist

Bursaries and scholarships are not synonymes? In french (I'm francophone) we call them "bourses" so I just translated to "bursaries".

Ah. Well, I think in English, Scholarships are awards based on merit, bursaries are based on financial need.

Just because this thread is so quiet, I'll post something that I was thinking about earlier (in between thinking about things that actually matter). I took a look at the full list of CGS awards, and noticed that indeed there are a considerable number of awards granted to those outside of Canada, and thus, a considerable number of these awards that would be reshuffled. Perhaps this is what was taking them so long, I thought. The only problem with that theory is that Phalene is at the top of hir subcommittee (yes, I used a gender-neutral pronoun,) and thus it's unlikely that all those CGS awards had been reshuffled yet, as the chances are, zhe probably would have been awarded one. I wonder how they're passing them down, that is, that it can't be all at once, so they must be trickling them down. Perhaps that's why this whole rolling-waitlist thing is rolling along so slowly. But of course, they won't tell us why, so we'll never really know. I'm hoping someone will prod them in a week or two, to see if they'll give anything up then. I, as you all know, have been cut off for information from the POs.

EDIT: I realize I've started a new page, but it's better than having to scroll down to the bottom of the last one to check if there is any news.

Edited by Canuckonomist

Are all of you subscribed to this thread, such that you get an e-mail each time there is a new post? I post something, and suddenly a group of you pop up. Sorry to give anyone a start.

Edited by Canuckonomist

Just because this thread is so quiet, I'll post something that I was thinking about earlier (in between thinking about things that actually matter). I took a look at the full list of CGS awards, and noticed that indeed there are a considerable number of awards granted to those outside of Canada, and thus, a considerable number of these awards that would be reshuffled. Perhaps this is what was taking them so long, I thought. The only problem with that theory is that Phalene is at the top of hir subcommittee (yes, I used a gender-neutral pronoun,) and thus it's unlikely that all those CGS awards had been reshuffled yet, as the chances are, zhe probably would have been awarded one. I wonder how they're passing them down, that is, that it can't be all at once, so they must be trickling them down. Perhaps that's why this whole rolling-waitlist thing is rolling along so slowly. But of course, they won't tell us why, so we'll never really know. I'm hoping someone will prod them in a week or two, to see if they'll give anything up then. I, as you all know, have been cut off for information from the POs.

EDIT: I realize I've started a new page, but it's better than having to scroll down to the bottom of the last one to check if there is any news.

I have been quite imaginative at time trying to find some reasons to explain delays or results, but I don't think there is a good reason to explain the delay. All students have about two months to accept the award. When they do so, they inform SSHRC of their university choice. Within a sub-committee, the PO therefore has a list of recipients, knows the university they will attend and the year of the student. The rest is pretty mechanical. Every CGS abroad is traded with the first SDF from a Canadian university. Send an email/letter to inform everybody and possibly get approval. All refusals or no answers are given to the students down the queue. It's not rocket science and both can be done symultaneously. It will take me more time to set up a Bellman equation than do that... Let's not forget, it's been 3 months since July 1st (two months after the announcement), and it doesn't take me 3 months to set up a Bellman equation (maybe to solve it...) All this to say that there is no plausible reason to explain the wait.

It's hard to believe we were all so excited last Friday. The avalanche is yet to come... Nice weekend to everybody!

I've always been a little strange. I've just been coding, and thus listening to Jon Coulton.

Two students in my class did their MA with you, and for some strange reason they talked about you at maths camp (we could barely resist talking about Kakutani's fixed point theorem). Already that's quite an achievement. Not to worry, only positive stuff came out... ;)

Just to stay in the theme of SSHRC, I took a look again at the pdf of the results, and it has not been changed since it was created. Whatever that means...

Two students in my class did their MA with you, and for some strange reason they talked about you at maths camp (we could barely resist talking about Kakutani's fixed point theorem). Already that's quite an achievement. Not to worry, only positive stuff came out... ;)

Just to stay in the theme of SSHRC, I took a look again at the pdf of the results, and it has not been changed since it was created. Whatever that means...

Really? Margaux and Mike K, I presume. Glad to know you're among good people. Bill should also be in your class. He's been on this board before.

Canuck

Just popping in to say I've heard nothing (of course, lol). I'm surprised things have been so quiet... I thought we'd finally be getting some good news! I still think I might try calling them at the end of the month, even if only to see if I can figure out how their waitlist processing works!