Low GRE Score - Do I have a Chance?

Inez_Only

I will be applying to 10 clinical psych programs across Canada this fall to hopefully start in the fall of 2018, and I think I have a good application but my GRE scores are pretty low. I'm wondering if my scores are competitive enough to get in anywhere and would really aprreciate some feedback. I have a lot of research experience and tons of clinical experience, conference presentations, 1 publication for revise and resubmit and working on 2 more manuscripts we plan to submit for publication, and I can get some great reference letters... so I think the rest of my application will look good (hopefully). I haven't taken the Psych GRE yet and I've taken the general 2 times but I'm considering taking it a 3rd to at least improve on my verbal score.

GRE: V-149     Q-152     A-4.5

Cumulative GPA: 3.72 (4.5 scale)

Last 60 Credit Hours GPA: 4.0 (4.5 scale)

It sounds like you have a strong application otherwise, so I would definitely retake the GREs, since your scores are admittedly somewhat low. I personally would rather give it another shot than wonder, "What if?" after the application season is over. Good luck!

I would definitely consider trying to retake it. Right now it is just a bit too low to be quickly overlooked. It would suck if they didn't pay attention to the rest of your stellar application because of the GRE. Did your score improve between the first time and the second time?

On 3/13/2017 at 0:34 AM, hj2012 said:

It sounds like you have a strong application otherwise, so I would definitely retake the GREs, since your scores are admittedly somewhat low. I personally would rather give it another shot than wonder, "What if?" after the application season is over. Good luck!

Thank you for the input :) Right now I'll focus on the psych GRE and then try again for the general after April

5 minutes ago, mav160 said:

I would definitely consider trying to retake it. Right now it is just a bit too low to be quickly overlooked. It would suck if they didn't pay attention to the rest of your stellar application because of the GRE. Did your score improve between the first time and the second time?

I keep thinking the same thing, that my application would be great if not for my GRE scores. I'm not very good at standardized tests so I have to put a lot of effort in to do well. The first time I wrote it was even worse. My verbal score stayed the same but my quant and AWA scores significantly improved from a 3.5 and 144 to what I have now. If I keep it up I'm sure I can show at least some improvement but I'm a bit shocked with how bad I did on verbal the second time.