Feeling rusty in anticipation of visits

Coconuts&Chloroform

Anyone else take time off after undergrad and now feel a bit rusty in anticipation of graduate visits? I haven't done much serious philosophy, other than work on my writing sample, in over a year, and I fear that it shows. Surely people have faced this in the past. Is this nothing to worry about? Or should I take the next couple of weeks to brush up and get my mind back into good philosophical form? For example, if I plan to meet with philosopher P during a graduate visit, and have forgotten (for the time being) the arguments in papers of P's that I read during undergrad, is it a good idea to brush up on these? Or is there really not much nuts-and-bolts philosophy discussed during these visits?

I didn't major in philosophy and this is my fourth year after undergrad, so I'm going in rather blind on my visit next week. I have done some light preparation for the prof who has agreed to talk with me, and I will do more for others if they agree as well. (I read the prof's website and a few of his papers.) Not quite sure what to expect, so it would be nice to hear from people with experience visiting. 

When I visited this past weekend nobody really expected any substantial philosophical discussions. Faculty were generally willing to talk about their work and the work of their students, but the focus was very much on the general stuff like what the program is like, general matching interests between people, etc. I think digging into philosophy is good for getting a feel for how philosophy is done there (and for seeing what the grad students there are doing), but unless Mizzou was an odd case, you needn't worry much.

I read some papers of the philosophers there beforehand, but that seemed like it wasn't expected. (Though not unexpected.)

Edited by Nichi

When I took visits last year the only conversations with any philosophical content were ones in which I was asking faculty/students about what they're doing. Nobody expects you to put on a show. The visits are really about trying to sell the program to you, not the other way around. Visits are (and should be) a lot of fun!

@Coconuts&Chloroform I feel very much the same (and was also hesitant to take up offers to speak with professors one-on-one, knowing that I'm feeling rather rusty). But to echo others, it seems like the visits are really there to answer any questions you have and help you get a sense of whether the program is the best fit for you :)