Transfer from Master's to Doctoral Programs?

Cra2y_G1raffe

Hello guys!

I'm wondering... do you think is it possible to transfer from Master to PhD in the same school?

and if there is no funding at first year, is it possible to get fund after the first year? 

Any experience?

The thing is.... I want a PhD and I want money... but what I got is a master and no funding :)

Happy Spring Break by the way....

I think that's going to depend on the school/advisor. I had applied to a school for PhD and was told that she found my app more competitive at a MA level. She said she would be willing to take me on as a MA student and then I could transfer to PhD if I was doing well in the program. The thing was that there was no funding so..... I guess it depends on a lot of things!

1 hour ago, Kayce said:

I think that's going to depend on the school/advisor. I had applied to a school for PhD and was told that she found my app more competitive at a MA level. She said she would be willing to take me on as a MA student and then I could transfer to PhD if I was doing well in the program. The thing was that there was no funding so..... I guess it depends on a lot of things!

Thank you for reply! So there is a possibility... right?

On 14 mars 2017 at 2:48 PM, Kayce said:

Yes, I heard that this is some of "accelerated passage to doctorat" (passage accéléré au doctorat in French) for exceptional master's students. My university doesn't offer this in my program but other universities in my city and in my field do, so you would need to verify with your host university.

Edited by Adelaide9216

On 3/20/2017 at 8:18 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

Yes, I heard that this is some of "accelerated passage to doctorat" (passage accéléré au doctorat in French) for exceptional master's students. My university doesn't offer this in my program but other universities in my city and in my field do, so you would need to verify with your host university.

Thank you very much!!!!

If you're in a terminal master's program, then most programs will require you to apply and evaluate you along with the rest of the applicant pool. However, if you've already been working with an adviser who's willing and able to take you on as a PhD student, then your chances of getting accepted is much higher than if you were just any other applicant. In my previous program, I know of at least two students who did this. One had been uncertain as she wasn't sure her PI had a PhD-level project going, but it ended up working out. The other was a student in my own lab. She applied twice. The first time she was rejected, but she was only halfway through her master's anyway and was going to continue the following year, so the profs just told her to crank out a publication or something in the mean time. The second year she was accepted. Our adviser basically didn't even put her on her own project until the end of her second year. It drove her nuts because she kept being assigned to help with bits and pieces of other people's work and therefore wasn't sure she'd be able to pull off a master's thesis. Our adviser, on the other hand, was like, "oh, she's gonna do the PhD anyway so no rush..."

Edited by ThousandsHardships