External Fellowships for International Students (Attending Grad program in US)

Probably quite clear from the title: Where should I be looking for additional fellowships for funding to attend graduate school in the United States as an international student?  I've already been accepted, and I have been awarded some stipends by the school.  However, if I can, I would like to be able to apply for a few others in order to better my quality of life as a student who cannot work outside of the institution.  

These are extremely limited. In my field, there is only one US fellowship available to international graduate students and it is the NASA Earth and Space Sciences Fellowship. Depending on your focus in oceanography, you may qualify for it too. 

They recently increased the value of this fellowship! They will provide up to $35k per year for stipend. However, you cannot take the whole value if the standard stipend on your campus is less than $35k. (Next year, our school's stipend is $33k, so that's all we get). That is, if you are asking because you are hoping to increase your stipend, keep in mind that winning external fellowships doesn't always do this, it often just replaces your internal funding.

That said, there are tons of other great benefits to being on a fellowship, especially if there are research funds for travel and more freedom to do the research you want (since you don't depend on TA or RA for pay).

7 hours ago, TakeruK said:

These are extremely limited. In my field, there is only one US fellowship available to international graduate students and it is the NASA Earth and Space Sciences Fellowship. Depending on your focus in oceanography, you may qualify for it too. 

They recently increased the value of this fellowship! They will provide up to $35k per year for stipend. However, you cannot take the whole value if the standard stipend on your campus is less than $35k. (Next year, our school's stipend is $33k, so that's all we get). That is, if you are asking because you are hoping to increase your stipend, keep in mind that winning external fellowships doesn't always do this, it often just replaces your internal funding.

That said, there are tons of other great benefits to being on a fellowship, especially if there are research funds for travel and more freedom to do the research you want (since you don't depend on TA or RA for pay).

Thanks for replying!  I'll look into applying for it next year depending on how much funding pans out this year.  It seems like the deadline has already passed for it this year :(

3 hours ago, shikkui said:

Thanks for replying!  I'll look into applying for it next year depending on how much funding pans out this year.  It seems like the deadline has already passed for it this year :(

Don't worry, the next year is actually the first year you would qualify for it. You need to already be a graduate student when you apply and you need an advisor. It's run more like a grant so the PI will be your advisor but you write all of the materials. The solicitation opens each November and it's due in early February each year. But the practical deadline is like a week before because it's considered an actual grant from NASA, so it requires approvals at several levels within the school (for us, it's the department head, Graduate Dean, and the Office of Sponsored Research). Although there are no rules on when you can apply, the successful candidates are generally in 2nd to 4th year when they apply. Good luck :)