UCSC Literature Program, any news?

Has anyone received waitlist status or a rejection from UCSC's lit program? Any sort of speculation on why this program is taking such an excruciatingly long time to release rejections? I'm assuming since it has been this long that it doesn't mean good news, but my god, having students wait this long (to hear about a rejection) is painful. Why are they doing this !

3 hours ago, charolastra said:

I'm too afraid to contact the department to inquire out of fear....this is so painful

I emailed them a few weeks ago and heard nothing back! I don't think inquiring at this point is going to look bad at all-- I'm just not sure the department is going to be responsive!

I applied for the creative concentration but I'm in the same boat!  It's especially strange, seeing as how they seem to have been very prompt with rejections in past years.  I forget exactly where I heard this, but I did definitely hear that UCSC doesn't have a waitlist :'((  

I was messaging another GCer, as well as talking to some others, and we were speculating over how since the creative writing concentration seems so wrapped up within the English PhD, perhaps the entire department was affected and offset by the extremely early timing of AWP this year, but....even if that's true, it's been ages :( And if they do indeed have only rejections to send out...

7 hours ago, cheldorado said:

I applied for the creative concentration but I'm in the same boat!  It's especially strange, seeing as how they seem to have been very prompt with rejections in past years.  I forget exactly where I heard this, but I did definitely hear that UCSC doesn't have a waitlist :'((  

I was messaging another GCer, as well as talking to some others, and we were speculating over how since the creative writing concentration seems so wrapped up within the English PhD, perhaps the entire department was affected and offset by the extremely early timing of AWP this year, but....even if that's true, it's been ages :( And if they do indeed have only rejections to send out...

I'm assuming that the program is having funding problems, therefore unable to send rejections. But why not accept students they have funding for, and have a waitlist, and send rejections out so the wait isn't this horrible. I don't know about their process, but I can't understand why the wait is so long. I also can't help but compare to other programs who sent out a/w/r a while ago....I would think the department would also update applicants.....I don't know, the wait is making me bitter.