Hello friends from the internet,

I just recently discover this gradcafe forum and I think it's AMAZING. I just wanted to know how some of you are coping with rejections from some schools. I applied for Fall 2017 to about 8-9 schools and so far I've heard back from about 4 schools regarding not getting accepted into the program. Should I have applied for more school? I applied last year to about 3 and learned my lesson because I should've applied for more. I saw a post somewhere that said he/she applied to about 20 schools. 

I didn't graduate with Communication Science Disorder or Speech Path as my major for my undergrad. I feel like that makes it harder to get into the program. How are some of you coping with the rejection, if you've received decision letters already. To be honest, I'm a little sad because this is my second time trying. I keep thinking to myself that I'm not working hard enough or not doing enough and that's why I am not getting into the program. 

I tried to pull myself together and applied to a leveling program at University of Montana, which I'm happy to say I got into that way in case I don't get into any school, I can prepare myself for then next cycle. 

Anyways, if you all could share some of your stories. I hope to recover from this soon and get back on my feet!

Hello! Don't be too discouraged. I think it's great that you have a plan B with Montana, and 8-9 schools is definitely enough! It's not so much about how many you apply to but the quality of your application - which can vary from school to school. I actually think some school like applicants from other fields, especially fields that are related because it will make you more well rounded and have knowledge in other areas. While researching I saw quite a few programs that offered either 2 or 3 year plans depending on what you have in your background. 

This year was my 3rd time applying, and so far in this cycle I got 1 acceptance and 2 wait-lists. I applied a few years ago and got rejected everywhere - not knowing how competitive it was. I felt lost, and applied again the following year, but I didn't really do anything to make myself a better candidate. Naturally I got rejected again. I did reach out to the programs I applied to and asked for any feedback about my application, and all schools responded. They told me things that helped other candidates stand out. 

I spent the past 3ish years gaining new experiences to help me get in. Not only do they build your resume, but it's much easier to write personal statements when you have experience to talk about. I moved to a different state that had more in-state programs, and applied to more programs this year. I have worked as an SLPA  for 5 years - which may not be an option for you, but you could try to work in a related field like special education, habilitation, etc. I also volunteered at a speech and language non-profit - which the dean of one of the schools I was applying for, was affiliated with. I also researched the schools and programs better, and applied to schools that I matched with better in terms of GRE and GPA scores, being a non-traditional student, interests, etc. I think applying to the right programs is super important. I got flat out rejected at a few "safe" schools that I didn't really want to go to, but wait listed at schools at schools I didn't think I had a chance at (stats wise), but felt matched well with my interests. My GPA is not high - overall 3.22, major 3.56. As I am sure you have seen on here, that is pretty low for this program. If I can do it, you definitely can!

Another thing I would highly suggest, is visiting the schools. You get so much more information from actually visiting than researching, and it shows you are really interested. I know it may be expensive, but I would at least try to visit your top choices. If you don't get in this cycle and end up doing the leveling program, be sure to make connections with your professors. Good letters of recommendation are really important. Good luck! I really hope this cycle works out for you, because I know how discouraging and financially difficult it can be to apply multiply times!

@Alicia124

Thank you so much for your encouraging words!! It means so much. I will definitely take your advice! I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone on this. I wish that EVERYONE gets accepted but I know that's not how it's going to be. I've received at least one "hopeful" answer from Western Carolina. I'm on the waitlist. I've seen forums that says being on the waitlist isn't entirely bad. I still have hope! If not this year, next year. 

Regarding recommendation letters, I have three professors that are willing to stay on my reference/recommendation letter list which is great. They're my professor's from my undergrad. If I'm taking leveling courses online from an out of state program, what do you recommend I do to develop relationship with the professors there? 

Again, I really appreciate your encouraging words! I hope you get your desired school and blessings come your way in your career path! :) 

I'm coming from an outside background and was accepted to GWU, wait-listed at Indiana and UT Austin. Waiting on one more decision. I was worried I would get rejected everywhere, but I have no outright rejections so far and even one acceptance! I think you should be more optimistic (like I should have been at the beginning of this process). The only reason I didn't apply to more places is because my background isn't CSD and I didn't find many schools that had options for students like me. 

Stats for reference: 3.87 GPA undergrad (my overall and major GPAs are essentially the same), research experience because my program in Linguistics required a thesis for capstone, studied abroad 1 year as part of a language minor, expressed interest in bilingual certification where it was available. Average GRE scores. My recommendation letters were written by professors that knew me well, one was my language professor and oversaw my thesis research. Also have a minor in TESOL. Currently work in early childhood ed. and have a lot of teaching experience in other types of classrooms.

If you don't get in this round, I would suggest getting observation hours clocked asap. I wanted to apply to Michigan State (undergrad university and hometown) but they don't take people who need leveling courses unfortunately. Anyway, the head of that department actually took time to talk to me about options since I explained my situation to him and he suggested going to Master Clinician's network to get some observation hours. You can do it all online, which is nice if you can't manage to get any done in person. 

@lee09

That is tricky! I actually did my leveling courses online too, and I found that to be challenging. When there were discussion boards I tried to be really engaged, and stand out it what I posted - especially when the professor was participating. When I needed clarification or help I would discuss with the professor, rather than figure it out myself (or both!). 

What I WISH I had done, was reach out to them more to discuss the material during office hours. Once comfortable with them, seek out advice for graduate school, career, etc. I think if you try to get to know them that way, and are successful with it, I would then let them know of your plans to apply to graduate schools and ask if they would be willing to write you a letter of recommendation when the time comes around. That way you are fresh in their head, and they are likely make an effort to remember you when it's time to write the letter. Also when that time comes around, I would send them a personal statement, your resume/CV, and hopefully have time to talk to them again. Even if you are only able to get 1 good recommendation letter from a professor in the field, I think that would good enough, since your other letters are strong. Depending on what the school wants in the personal statement, you may explain that you took your courses online making it difficult to get to know your professors - U of Memphis specifically told us (on the tour day) that if there are any "holes" in your app, and not explained in your statement you would likely not be admitted. This is where that good research comes in and going on campus tours!

When I went to my visits, the schools also discussed what they liked in letters of recommendation - info you would not find on the admissions process webpage - I can't stress going to these visits enough :). For example, UT-Austin liked to see a variety of letters - professor, employer, volunteer supervisor, research, etc. whereas U of Memphis mostly wanted to see letters from academic experiences. 

1 hour ago, lee09 said:

@Alicia124

Thank you so much for your encouraging words!! It means so much. I will definitely take your advice! I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone on this. I wish that EVERYONE gets accepted but I know that's not how it's going to be. I've received at least one "hopeful" answer from Western Carolina. I'm on the waitlist. I've seen forums that says being on the waitlist isn't entirely bad. I still have hope! If not this year, next year. 

Regarding recommendation letters, I have three professors that are willing to stay on my reference/recommendation letter list which is great. They're my professor's from my undergrad. If I'm taking leveling courses online from an out of state program, what do you recommend I do to develop relationship with the professors there? 

Again, I really appreciate your encouraging words! I hope you get your desired school and blessings come your way in your career path! :) 

Regarding your LOR, I took leveling courses in an online setting. EMAIL THEM! Set up video chats or phones calls. 2/3 of my letters came from online professors and they were very strong. Also, when you give them information, don't be afraid to tell them personal stuff such as, your struggle getting into grad school along with what you do in your free time and also a resume. My academic professors wrote very personal LOR. It is very possible!!

This is my 2nd time applying. I don't have the best stats by any means. First round I didn't do as much research and applied to 8 schools. Rejected and waitlisted. 2nd time around I did more research into schools- I also applied to way less for financial reasons and got 1 acceptance so far!! In the meantime, I took pre-reqs I was missing and formed bonds with current professors and supervisors to get better LORs. I also took more time on my personal statement and worked as a SLPA for 4 years. Don't give up hope! It took me 4 years after undergrad to gain the courage to just apply because of all the horror stories I heard! It is tough but doable! Good luck :)

Hi!

I came from a Pre Med major before (stats in signature) and both of my parents are doctors.

When I decided I want to pursue SLP my mom didn't talk to me for months. (Ah the joys of being Asian!)

However I worked really hard to bring up my GPA as much as I could since I was on academic probation by the time I left my first school to transfer to the one I'm in now.

I did my best to form bonds with my professors and got a research assistantship in Linguistics (my minor).

I did a ton of research and saved up a bunch of money to apply to schools I thought were a good fit!

I got a ton of rejections, and one was from my undergraduate university I'm at now. That hurt.

I kept my hopes low during the whole process so I would be pleasantly surprised.

I have gotten one acceptance and two waitlists and I'm supposed to hear back from 2 more schools I applied to by tonight!

I am so happy to be accepted anywhere as I truly was prepared for all rejections and I'm on the top tier waitlist at my top choice university so I'm over the moon.

My advice is to just stay strong and realistic.

I know it's hard but stressing and worrying after you've already put your apps in does nothing. Whatever happens will happen and with the right amount of work you can achieve whatever - yes it may take longer than your original plan but don't worry as life is long :)

Cheers and good luck to all! 

On 3/17/2017 at 9:21 AM, lee09 said:

If I'm taking leveling courses online from an out of state program, what do you recommend I do to develop relationship with the professors there? 

I took all of my post-bacc courses online with the exception of 1 course that I took at a community college in-person. So, in total, I've taken 30+ credits online in the past year and a half. I had two of my online-only professors write my LORs.

I developed a relationship with these professors by emailing them with well thought-out questions that I had as they related to course material. We can't attend these professor's office hours in person, but you can certainly utilize email as a way to get to know them and have some of your questions answered. Some online professors also offer live weekly chats, I have always found these very helpful to attend, and I think it gives the professor a little insight into who you are as a student. If they continue to see your name on the chat list week after week, they can see that you're dedicated and are making an attempt to do your best in the course. I also like when professors put up a "miscellaneous" discussion board on the course website, because it gives students an opportunity to post general questions for the class, or share interesting news articles or new research as it pertains to the course. Additionally, it goes without saying, but make sure you stay on top of online deadlines for assignments; get all of your work done on time, and don't ask for multiple extensions on assignments during the semester. 

Its hard, I was rejected last year but I talked to faculty, found out what was wrong with my application and reapplied with a stronger application and got in somewhere. Its very defeating, but you can do it, Just have to be determined and focused. Don't be discouraged, find more ways to reapply yourself, make some sacrifices, I took a part time job just to have some extra time to volunteer doing research. 

Its also a number game, its so many people applying for a few spots, it helps to get to know faculty and really get in touch with people at the programs you're most interested in. 

Best of luck. 

Feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to. 

Rosy

On 3/16/2017 at 6:58 PM, lee09 said:

Hello friends from the internet,

I just recently discover this gradcafe forum and I think it's AMAZING. I just wanted to know how some of you are coping with rejections from some schools. I applied for Fall 2017 to about 8-9 schools and so far I've heard back from about 4 schools regarding not getting accepted into the program. Should I have applied for more school? I applied last year to about 3 and learned my lesson because I should've applied for more. I saw a post somewhere that said he/she applied to about 20 schools. 

I didn't graduate with Communication Science Disorder or Speech Path as my major for my undergrad. I feel like that makes it harder to get into the program. How are some of you coping with the rejection, if you've received decision letters already. To be honest, I'm a little sad because this is my second time trying. I keep thinking to myself that I'm not working hard enough or not doing enough and that's why I am not getting into the program. 

I tried to pull myself together and applied to a leveling program at University of Montana, which I'm happy to say I got into that way in case I don't get into any school, I can prepare myself for then next cycle. 

Anyways, if you all could share some of your stories. I hope to recover from this soon and get back on my feet!

I understand how you feel completely. I got my B.S. in SLP and worked as an SLPA for 4 years and I finally got in. My situation is diff because since graduating undergrad I got married and had a baby, so there was no way I could juggle a traditional program, work, motherhood and be a good wife. I applied to 2 schools and got denied. On my 3rd attempt I got in. (online program). Keep in mind my stats are not the greatest... 3.24 gpa 147 avg on GRE and 4 on the writing portion. What I did the 3rd time around is I strengthened my essays for the program application. NYU requires 3 essays and I know I am great at writing so I wrote some really strong papers. I was honest about my life and why I NEEDED to get into the program. I made sure they knew that although my GPA was not the highest, my experience and success as an SLPA speaks for itself. I also asked my evaporators to include very specific things in the letters of recommendation; (why I would be successful in graduate studies, how I have contributed to the company, my willingness to learn etc...)

You will get in! DO NOT give up on your dreams. I felt so low and "not good enough" when I got rejected the 1st two times but I am so glad I never gave up on my dreams. You can do this! Not sure if you are spiritual, but if so... talk to God about it. Pray on it! You can do this!

So far I got rejected to 2 out of 8 schools and had one interview (no decision made from that one yet). I'm getting that knotty feeling in my stomach after getting the second rejection today. This waiting game is awful, especially when all you're getting so far is rejection. Really praying to get some better news as time goes on. My backup plan is to apply to schools for the Advanced Certificate in ABA since I planned on getting that anyway. My stats are average but based on the relationship I had with my professors, I can only assume that I have strong LOR. And I think my personal statement really showed my passion for the field. So idk. I'm going through all kinds of emotions now smh ??