Recommended Microeconomics & Macroeconomics Online Classes

Merantau

Hi all! I got admitted conditionally to Columbia SIPA and Tufts Fletcher. I have to take an undergraduate level Principles of Economics class (or Principles of Microeconomics and Principles of Macroeconomics classes) before enrolling, since I lack in quant background. I have tried to find classes here in my country (in Southeast Asia), but to no avail. I think the most viable option for me is online classes provided by US universities. Can anybody recommend good online economics classes that are affordable? So far the classes I've found cost over 1 thousand dollar!

Thanks for your help!

I also need to complete a microeconomics course before enrolling in Duke Sanford. Duke recommended  UCLA Extension($688)Oakhurst Community College($500) and  UC Berkeley Extension. I think these are some good options for you. But please make sure SIPA admits these courses. Good luck. 

59 minutes ago, sherryding said:

I also need to complete a microeconomics course before enrolling in Duke Sanford. Duke recommended  UCLA Extension($688)Oakhurst Community College($500) and  UC Berkeley Extension. I think these are some good options for you. But please make sure SIPA admits these courses. Good luck. 

Thank you for the info @sherryding! It's very very useful for me :) So which one are you taking?

And oh, congratulations for getting into Duke Sanford!

25 minutes ago, Merantau said:

Thank you for the info @sherryding! It's very very useful for me :) So which one are you taking?

And oh, congratulations for getting into Duke Sanford!

Thanks! I will take the UCLA one (ECON XL 1 – Principles of Economics: Microeconomics). Congratulations on your admission to SIPA!

I'd recommend the University of Texas' micro and macro courses. They're $550 each; they're entirely self-paced; and they can be started at any time rather than waiting for a list of scheduled start dates. They require two proctored tests each course, but I assume the others mentioned do as well. Test proctors aren't hard to find (nearby community colleges are your best bet), but they're the biggest hassle.

On 3/18/2017 at 8:20 AM, Ben414 said:

I'd recommend the University of Texas' micro and macro courses. They're $550 each; they're entirely self-paced; and they can be started at any time rather than waiting for a list of scheduled start dates. They require two proctored tests each course, but I assume the others mentioned do as well. Test proctors aren't hard to find (nearby community colleges are your best bet), but they're the biggest hassle.

The UCLA Extension courses do not require in-person proctors. I took the Microeconomics one several years ago, and it's "proctored online". This was a must for me as I was not in the US while I was taking this course, so if other international students are looking for something, I suggest going with them. You can check it out here: https://www.uclaextension.edu/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&courseId=162240

17 hours ago, chocolatecheesecake said:

The UCLA Extension courses do not require in-person proctors. I took the Microeconomics one several years ago, and it's "proctored online". This was a must for me as I was not in the US while I was taking this course, so if other international students are looking for something, I suggest going with them. You can check it out here: https://www.uclaextension.edu/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&courseId=162240

Good to know for anyone still deciding. I chose UT because I wanted to start immediately, but UCLA looks to probably be the best choice if you're fine with its set timeframes.

Edited by Ben414

On 3/20/2017 at 1:20 PM, chocolatecheesecake said:

Thanks @chocolatecheesecake! I end up taking the principles of microeconomics course at UCLA Extension, which is recommended by a lot of people, including the Admissions person at one of the schools I'm taking the course for. 

• 1 month later...

Hi! Just in case anyone is still looking for macro/micro-econ courses, you may wish to check out this link.

http://www.straighterline.com/online-college-courses/business/macroeconomics/

$99 per month for membership, and $59 for the course itself - total of $160 if you can rush & finish the course in a month, or $360 if you take up to 3 months. It was cheaper than any others I found, self-paced and also online proctored.

Not sure about other schools, but Georgetown confirmed they accept Straighterline.