New York Medical Interview

Hi All, 

I have an interview for New York Medical's SLP graduate program on Wednesday. I've never been on a graduate school interview and I was wondering if anyone has advice.  Any advice is super helpful!

I'm also waiting to hear back from Adelphi, Hofstra, CUNY Brooklyn, Teachers College and Touro. I received a rejection from NYU. 

Thank you all in advance!

Hi - NYMC was also my first grad school interview! The faculty are all super nice and personable so I would say just try to relax and be yourself. Also, this probably seems obvious, but make sure to read all of the instructions for both writing assignments thoroughly before you start. I was really nervous and messed up a few things which wouldn't have happened if I had just taken a deep breath and paid more attention. I would also recommend figuring out how much time you have to complete them and setting an alarm on your phone (on vibrate obviously) so you have ample time to dedicate to both. There is a casual group lunch and Q&A with faculty at the end of the day so make sure to come prepared with a few good questions to ask so you stand out from the crowd.

Good luck!!

@lala_1 No problem! They have all the applicants wait in one classroom while completing the writing assignments. The interviews themselves are individual, which I was so grateful for as I'm a career changer/out of field and would probably not have done well in a group interview setting. You meet with 3 faculty members for about 10 minutes each.

@lee09 Did you interview already? Not sure how they are sending out acceptances, but I've seen a few go up on the results page so far so it seems like they are doing it in waves. I haven't seen any waitlists or rejections yet. Doesn't hurt to call the admissions office and check! I know they are doing interviews throughout the whole month of March.

@ElKel87 No, unfortunately no interviews yet. I'll take a look at the portal. Any luck on your end on other schools? Are you a CSD undergrad major? I feel like it's so hard for me because I don't have an undergrad in that; however, I won't make that as an excuse xD haha.

@lee09 Ah okay. My interview request came via email, nothing changed on the portal. So far I've been accepted to NYMC, NYU and LIU Brooklyn. Still waiting on CUNY Brooklyn, CUNY Hunter and Columbia Teachers College. I definitely empathize with you! I graduated in 2009 with a degree in a different field, so this process has been overwhelming to say the least. The NYMC interview was super intimidating because, although there were a few other out-of-field applicants there, I'm pretty sure I was the only one who wasn't coming straight from undergrad.

Have you heard from any other schools yet? I wish you the best of luck! Many of the schools I spoke to said they prefer people with different backgrounds because they provide a different perspective, so don't count yourself out! :) 

@ElKel87 That's awesome! Congratulations on getting accepted! Have you made up your mind on who you want to go with? I've heard back from about 5 schools and so far I'm just on the waiting list for Western Carolina. Thank you so much for being supportive. I hope that they do look beyond my test scores and see that from my recommendation letters and personal statement how badly I want to get into this program. All the best for you! :)  

@lee09 That's great, congratulations! Where are you leaning to so far of the programs you've been accepted to? Is NYMC your top choice if you get accepted?

I'm pretty set on NYMC myself and have already submitted my deposit. The only thing that might change that for me at this point is if I somehow get accepted into CUNY Hunter because it's so much cheaper and I do really like the program and the faculty. But even then I think NYMC is probably a better fit for me. I know it sounds crazy but part of me is almost hoping I get rejected by Hunter so that I don't have to make that decision! :P

@ElKel87 I'd love to get into NYMC, that was actually my first option. I'd love to get into it. If not, then Western Carolina or South Carolina State University. 

ahaha, well I really do hope that you get the results you want then! :) That's funny, I've never heard of wanting to get rejected ahaha. 

On March 20, 2017 at 10:30 PM, lala_1 said:

Hi, did you have a group interview or was it individual? Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

It was an individual interview! 

On March 21, 2017 at 8:22 AM, lee09 said:

WOW! You heard back from NYM? I haven't heard anything. Should I be concerned?

I heard back from NYMC the day after I interviewed.  I was shocked. Did you interview already?

@Sam______ 

You already did you interview? That's awesome! I haven't even got that portion yet. I'm really hoping to hear back from someone. Did you receive a confirmation regarding an interview via email or letter in the mail?

Are you living on campus?

@Tayann1 Not a silly question! The portal in this case would be the CSDCAS site. For other schools it's the page on the school's website where you submitted your application. Some schools send acceptances/waitlists/rejections through their application site, some through email and some over the phone. NYMC notifies via email.

On March 27, 2017 at 8:15 AM, lee09 said:

@Sam______ 

You already did you interview? That's awesome! I haven't even got that portion yet. I'm really hoping to hear back from someone. Did you receive a confirmation regarding an interview via email or letter in the mail?

Are you living on campus?

Yes i really want to live on campus ! but i don't have a roommate so it will be someone random.  

I already interviewed on 3/22 and heard back from them through the email the next day

• 4 weeks later...
On April 1, 2017 at 7:11 PM, Sam____ said:

Yes i really want to live on campus ! but i don't have a roommate so it will be someone random.  

I already interviewed on 3/22 and heard back from them through the email the next day

Hey Sam! I too am looking to live on campus. Have you heard anything about life on campus and if people enjoy living there? 

On April 29, 2017 at 0:39 AM, Hnolan said:

Hey Sam! I too am looking to live on campus. Have you heard anything about life on campus and if people enjoy living there? 

I private messaged you!