San Francisco State Universiy

This morning I got an email from San Francisco state with subject line: Update Regarding Your SF State Application. I went on to check the application status and nothing. I am wondering if I should call them because it also stated to turn in materials if I haven't done so and contact the department. I am not sure why this update since I was interviewed and I am just waiting for their response. Any thoughts? Maybe it's nothing and I am just super nervous and trippin. 

I received the same email, and also no update about application status when I checked. It sounded like my application had moved from general graduate admissions to the speech-language pathology department, which confused me because I had already interviewed with the program so I assumed that transfer had already happened anyway lol. I also received a financial aid package shortly after, which was more confusing because in my experience I haven't received a financial aid package until being admitted first. Very confusing, I'll be calling tomorrow to follow up

Thank you!

@pbandj right? I was like Ok do they need anything from me? but you know what I think is happening is that they are getting ready to notify us on their decision. On Saturday one of the girls that I interviewed texted me and said she got an acceptance letter in the mail. Mail person didn't come to my house this weekend so I haven't received anything. I also believe this is their spring break week.

@Maridele I so hope you're right!! I was thinking that they wouldn't send financial packages to everyone, so maybe it just got to me before my admission letter.... I really hope so lol! Will they notify us via email too? And in a less ambiguous message hahaha. 

So I'm at work killing time and stumbled upon this thread: 

@Maridele @KennyCyrilo It looks like the financial aid office and departments/admissions offices work separately, so we may receive financial aid packages and then a rejection or waitlist. Also, it would appear that calling would do very little for clarification :/ If I have time after work I'll probably still call just to hear it myself though lol. Seems a little disorganized to me, tbh... My decision is basically between SFSU and UW at this point, I just want to know their decision so I can move on lol

* The above thread is not necessarily speech-language pathology, but does give insight to how graduate admissions work at SFSU. I'm going to call the speech department directly and see if I can get clarification from them

30 minutes ago, pbandj said:

So I'm at work killing time and stumbled upon this thread: 

@Maridele @KennyCyrilo It looks like the financial aid office and departments/admissions offices work separately, so we may receive financial aid packages and then a rejection or waitlist. Also, it would appear that calling would do very little for clarification :/ If I have time after work I'll probably still call just to hear it myself though lol. Seems a little disorganized to me, tbh... My decision is basically between SFSU and UW at this point, I just want to know their decision so I can move on lol

Thank you for the information! 

Word on the street is that the CD department sent their decisions to the graduate college last Thursday, who does the actual notifying for all departments. Notification should be via both snail mail, and email. 

13 minutes ago, jmk said:

Word on the street is that the CD department sent their decisions to the graduate college last Thursday, who does the actual notifying for all departments. Notification should be via both snail mail, and email. 

Thank you so much for the update! The waiting is so agonizing, it's nice to at least know what's going on to calm my nerves a bit 

I would assume that the financial aid information would be sent out after person has accepted? The girl who was in my interview group said that the letter required for her to do a background check and that acceptance is contingent on the results. She also said that they were going to send out an email, however she has not received one yet. Her student center has not updated either. She lives in San Jose so perhaps she got the letter sooner because of her location?

I am super anxious because I know this week a lot of us will find out.

Edited by Maridele

2 minutes ago, Maridele said:

I would assume that the financial aid information would be sent out after person has accepted? The girl who was in my interview group said that the letter required for her to do a background check and that acceptance is contingent on the results. She also said that they were going to sent out an email, however she has not received one yet. Her student center has not updated either. She lives in San Jose so perhaps she got the letter sooner because of her location?

I am super anxious because I know this week a lot of us will find out.

I'm also assuming it would be after acceptance, but I don't want to get my hopes too high... But it's relieving to hear the girl who got a letter hasn't received an email or had her student center updated. I would also expect an email before a letter, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Lol I was doing so good at patiently waiting for a decision, but all these weird notifications and the order of them has me overthinking!

8 minutes ago, pbandj said:

I'm also assuming it would be after acceptance, but I don't want to get my hopes too high... But it's relieving to hear the girl who got a letter hasn't received an email or had her student center updated. I would also expect an email before a letter, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Lol I was doing so good at patiently waiting for a decision, but all these weird notifications and the order of them has me overthinking!

Yes! that's exactly what I was thinking.

Sigh... looks like it's just back to waiting, I guess lol. Good luck to all of us! It looks like we'll be finding out decisions soon, so I hope we hear good news :) 

I got what I THINK is an acceptance letter via snail mail. 

"The CD department is prepared to recommend admission provided the following conditions are met: bachelors degree in progress, and certificate of clearance (background check)."

I assume this is a conditional acceptance...why couldn't they just have been very loud and clear, haha?! 

Edit: I emailed two of my old professors (from SFSU), and it is an acceptance, haha. 

Edited by jmk

1 hour ago, jmk said:

I got what I THINK is an acceptance letter via snail mail. 

"The CD department is prepared to recommend admission provided the following conditions are met: bachelors degree in progress, and certificate of clearance (background check)."

I assume this is a conditional acceptance...why couldn't they just have been very loud and clear, haha?! 

Edit: I emailed two of my old professors (from SFSU), and it is an acceptance, haha. 

YAY CONGRATS!

48 minutes ago, Maridele said:

Congratulations!! @jmk I just got home from work and I also got a conditional acceptance!!! I am so happy right now! My first acceptance and my number one choice. Life changing day.

I'm so excited! I initially thought I might want to have an out of state adventure, but looking at the costs stopped me in my tracks! I was panicking because I didn't get into the other CA publics I had applied to, haha -_-

Dang, my letter will be arriving at my parents' address, who are on vacation for a week! I'll be driving home to pick up their mail anyway, but I guess I'll be waiting just a little while longer.

2 hours ago, Maridele said:

Congratulations!! @jmk I just got home from work and I also got a conditional acceptance!!! I am so happy right now! My first acceptance and my number one choice. Life changing day.

Congratulations on your first acceptance, and from your first choice! That is so exciting! Be proud of your accomplishments and rest easy now - you're going to grad school!!! :D

1 hour ago, jmk said:

I'm so excited! I initially thought I might want to have an out of state adventure, but looking at the costs stopped me in my tracks! I was panicking because I didn't get into the other CA publics I had applied to, haha -_-

Yes, CA schools are so competitive, and out of state costs are so expensive! But you did it!! I'm glad you have a cheaper option, and at a great program you're familiar with as well. Congratulations on all your accomplishments!

@Maridele I'll be driving home tomorrow night to get the mail, so it won't be that much longer actually LOL. But it seems like every second I spend thinking about it is so long! So is April 10 a receive by date or send by date? That's earlier than the decision deadlines for other schools! Is sending verification of COC basically accepting the conditional admission? I wish they could just say, "You've been accepted!" haha