San Francisco State Universiy

Congrats @KennyCyrilo!!

Its such a relieve. Any of you guys know if the program is completed as a cohort with same classes or everyone basically goes on their own pace? I forgot to ask about this in the interview.

4 hours ago, Maridele said:

Congrats @KennyCyrilo!!

Its such a relieve. Any of you guys know if the program is completed as a cohort with same classes or everyone basically goes on their own pace? I forgot to ask about this in the interview.

It is, unless you choose to do the Autism or AAC specializations! Then a few of your classes are flipped, and you finish in the summer of 2019 instead of Spring! 

Just got home to my conditional acceptance :) Kind of an anti-climactic letter, if I'm being completely honest but I'll definitely take it LOL. SFSU is my top CA program and I'm really interested in the Autism specialization! Congratulations, everyone! :D Now to make a final decision...

Finalllllly got my letter! I'm #8 on the waitlist. #8 doesn't seem too bad... But I'm sort of feeling like waitlist queen over here. (This is my 4th waitlist) :mellow:

I do appreciate them telling me my ranking at least!

Edited by ssllpp

I have a question for those of you who are set on SF. I've never lived in SF but I do love it there and have many friends in the bay area. Even if I were accepted off the waitlist, I'd be nervous about the insane cost of rent in the city. How much do you estimate a 1 bedroom apartment costing per month?

19 minutes ago, ssllpp said:

I have a question for those of you who are set on SF. I've never lived in SF but I do love it there and have many friends in the bay area. Even if I were accepted off the waitlist, I'd be nervous about the insane cost of rent in the city. How much do you estimate a 1 bedroom apartment costing per month?

My friend's one bedroom is 3,800/month near campus. 

Most folks just get a room. Rooms run around 800-1,200/month depending on proximity. 

Student housing is also an option. Single rooms are 1,300 and doubles (sharing a room) is roughly 1,000/month. Granted, there are very few singles. 

Ex: If things pan out, I plan on having a room to myself in a house next year, and the room is $950/month. The room is a few miles from campus.

East Bay (Berkeley) is pretty comparable in price. If you go all the way out to Concord/Pleasant Hill East Bay, rent goes down. 

I've been running costs and in another city I could gave a room for $600 a month (8,400/yr) vs $12,000 in SF....give or take. In the end, if you're in-state, tuition at CSU campuses beats a lot of in-state, much less out-of state, tuition. I've noticed that when you add tuition & rent together, prices even out. 

4 minutes ago, jmk said:

My friend's one bedroom is 3,800/month near campus. 

Most folks just get a room. Rooms run around 800-1,200/month depending on proximity. 

Student housing is also an option. Single rooms are 1,300 and doubles (sharing a room) is roughly 1,000/month. Granted, there are very few singles. 

Ex: If things pan out, I plan on having a room to myself in a house next year, and the room is $950/month. The room is a few miles from campus.

East Bay (Berkeley) is pretty comparable in price. If you go all the way out to Concord/Pleasant Hill East Bay, rent goes down. 

I've been running costs and in another city I could gave a room for $600 a month (8,400/yr) vs $12,000 in SF....give or take. In the end, if you're in-state, tuition at CSU campuses beats a lot of in-state, much less out-of state, tuition. I've noticed that when you add tuition & rent together, prices even out. 

Thanks for the info! I have a unique situation I guess in that I'm moving to grad school with my fiance, and I think we'd like to have our own place. He'll be waiting on his green card and won't be able to work for the first 3-6 months wherever we are. Soooo, it would probably be a little rough trying to pay rent on my own.

My only acceptance so far is University of New Mexico. Rent is a LOT cheaper there, and tuition is a LOT more expensive since I'd be out of state. So there will be a lot to think about if I get into a CA school.

10 minutes ago, ssllpp said:

Thanks for the info! I have a unique situation I guess in that I'm moving to grad school with my fiance, and I think we'd like to have our own place. He'll be waiting on his green card and won't be able to work for the first 3-6 months wherever we are. Soooo, it would probably be a little rough trying to pay rent on my own.

My only acceptance so far is University of New Mexico. Rent is a LOT cheaper there, and tuition is a LOT more expensive since I'd be out of state. So there will be a lot to think about if I get into a CA school.

If you don't mind the commute (on BART (public transit system)) it's about an hour, and then a quick bus ride, living in Oakland, Concord, Pleasanton, etc. would definitely be cheaper options! I did the commute from an East Bay city for three semesters of my undergrad. Really wasn't bad at all, and I studied on the train. 

4 hours ago, jmk said:

If you don't mind the commute (on BART (public transit system)) it's about an hour, and then a quick bus ride, living in Oakland, Concord, Pleasanton, etc. would definitely be cheaper options! I did the commute from an East Bay city for three semesters of my undergrad. Really wasn't bad at all, and I studied on the train. 

Good to know. Thanks :)

On 3/20/2017 at 9:35 PM, pbandj said:

@Maridele I'll be driving home tomorrow night to get the mail, so it won't be that much longer actually LOL. But it seems like every second I spend thinking about it is so long! So is April 10 a receive by date or send by date? That's earlier than the decision deadlines for other schools! Is sending verification of COC basically accepting the conditional admission? I wish they could just say, "You've been accepted!" haha

Yes!! I sent the COC today. I have no idea what's next. They haven't given me an option to accept in their portal yet. From previous years I understand this is the procedure. I have no idea how it works or what's next. I'm guessing if they don't get the COC by April 10 they will be moving on to waitlist? Idk .. 

4 hours ago, Maridele said:

Yes!! I sent the COC today. I have no idea what's next. They haven't given me an option to accept in their portal yet. From previous years I understand this is the procedure. I have no idea how it works or what's next. I'm guessing if they don't get the COC by April 10 they will be moving on to waitlist? Idk .. 

I was a bit confused as well! I don't have this in writing, but I believe once the credential office receives your COC, you get your "official" acceptance letter. I'm leaning SFSU & turned in my COC today as well. 

10 hours ago, jmk said:

I was a bit confused as well! I don't have this in writing, but I believe once the credential office receives your COC, you get your "official" acceptance letter. I'm leaning SFSU & turned in my COC today as well. 

I see...well I am sure whatever you decide you will love it! I want to have financial aid information already, so I can start looking for places. By any chance do you know how much aid they offer?

6 hours ago, Maridele said:

I see...well I am sure whatever you decide you will love it! I want to have financial aid information already, so I can start looking for places. By any chance do you know how much aid they offer?

I was already sent an email about my financial aid package. You should check your student center, you may already have information too! :) I was given a State University Grant that I believe is given to most graduate students in the CSU system, work-study, and loans. 

8 hours ago, Maridele said:

What pb&j said- it should already be in your student center! My FAFSA from 2015 got messed up, so I have to deal with financial aid first hahaha. But if your FAFSA was fine, it should be in student center! & most students get a grant. 

16 hours ago, jmk said:

@Maridele- you should email financial aid! I did and it turns out they needed a 2015 tax form haha. 

Hi!!

I checked my student center today and I had my packet! Have you heard anything else after you turned in the COC?

9 hours ago, Maridele said:

Hi!!

I checked my student center today and I had my packet! Have you heard anything else after you turned in the COC?

I haven't! It's a little nerve wracking not having an "official" paper in hand (for me). How about you? 

Hi All,

I'm new to Grad Cafe but I wanted to reach out and say "Congratulations" to everyone who was admitted to SFSU's Fall 2017 cohort! 

I accepted my invitation to the program a couple days ago, and I received an email stating I would be mailed a packet with more information in the next couple weeks. I'm a Los Angeles native, and am excited to move up North and live in a new city for grad school! During my interview, I met four lovely young women who I regretfully did not exchange contact information with. Now that I've been admitted, I'm realizing  those were essentially the only people I know who could potentially be in this program... Though I have friends in San Francisco, I'm looking into moving into a place close to campus with like-minded students-I figured I'd start here and determine if anyone was in my same boat as far as housing goes... 

Does anyone have any suggestions on areas to live that would work for a student relying on public transit? Or perhaps we are on the same page and your looking for a room-mate/ housing too? If you feel so inclined, touch base with me through grad cafe message- I'd love to chat. Looking forward to this Fall with you all!

ISC

Edited by ISC

@jmk I just called and they said they received my COC today so hopefully I get that official invitation to accept soon. I'm excited you created a group!

On 4/2/2017 at 2:38 PM, ISC said:

Hi All,

I'm new to Grad Cafe but I wanted to reach out and say "Congratulations" to everyone who was admitted to SFSU's Fall 2017 cohort! 

I accepted my invitation to the program a couple days ago, and I received an email stating I would be mailed a packet with more information in the next couple weeks. I'm a Los Angeles native, and am excited to move up North and live in a new city for grad school! During my interview, I met four lovely young women who I regretfully did not exchange contact information with. Now that I've been admitted, I'm realizing  those were essentially the only people I know who could potentially be in this program... Though I have friends in San Francisco, I'm looking into moving into a place close to campus with like-minded students-I figured I'd start here and determine if anyone was in my same boat as far as housing goes... 

Does anyone have any suggestions on areas to live that would work for a student relying on public transit? Or perhaps we are on the same page and your looking for a room-mate/ housing too? If you feel so inclined, touch base with me through grad cafe message- I'd love to chat. Looking forward to this Fall with you all!

ISC

Hi ISC, 

its nice to meet you and congratulations! I have not yet received that email where I can accept or decline. I believe it's because they need my COC on file first. 

I am also feom LA and I am looking for housing up north. I applied for housing however I don't know if I will get a spot. I am open for roommates to. I understand that housing can be pricey. We can perhaps discuss more about it in private message.