Please Critique my issue essay

sonnee

The luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life prevent people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

I am an eighties kid, who has seen the pre-technology boom era and also the times when the main purpose of development was to ease the way of living in every sense possible. So, I have been a part of the era when there was no internet, no cellular phones, no GPS, black and white television, and most of the things were labor oriented. I have also witnessed the burst of internet, cellular phones, laptops, touch sense devices, human assist devices such as Amazon’s Alexa, vacuum cleaners, self driven cars, and so on and so forth. There’s no doubt in the fact that the generation before did not have the luxuries and the conveniences that my generation or the generation after have, but I do not agree with the statement that these conveniences have prevented people  from becoming strong and independent.

First of all, whether an individual wants to become strong and independent depends a lot on his/her personality and also the upbringing. If someone wants to be successful then they would have to get out of their comfort zone, they will still need their intellect or the talent to achieve their success. Not every person can be Steve Job, or a Satya Nadella. Isn’t it a bit unfair to undermine the successful and deserving people in this contemporary world by saying that they had conveniences at their disposal?

There are people who just depend on food home delivery, or would just go out to eat instead of cooking, but there are also people who like to cook their own food, go for grocery shopping. Now one could argue, that what’s the big deal in going for grocery shopping sitting in car. Absolutely! There is no big deal in that, but to sit behind the wheel and drive the car is a great responsibility, and also, the time saved in walking to the store, can be utilized in doing something more meaningful, like studying something, or actually cooking the food.

I, and so many others, have left their homes in hopes of making a better life for ourselves. We still had to get good grades in school, we still had to study hard to achieve our goals, although I have grown up in the comfort of air conditioning, cellular phones, cars, I still had to study, I still left the comfort of my home to study abroad, in a different  country. I would rather, say that these luxuries saved my effort and time so that I could invest my time in more fruitful things. Also, thanks to the video conferencing, I can talk and see my family every day and still live far apart from them chasing my dreams.

In conclusion I would say that, like everything, this also has its pros and cons. It depends on us, whether we allow ourselves to be completely taken in by these luxuries and become completely dependent on them or use them as tools to do what we want to, be it professionally or personally.