Canadian MA vs. possible US direct entry PhD

Hi everyone, I know there's a separate forum for decisions, but I could really use some advice from within the discipline.

I've been accepted to a Canadian MA program and waitlisted at two American PhDs. The department where I'd be doing my MA is by far the best match for my research interests that I've found, so I'm inclined to accept that offer now. However, I'm an American, I went to an American school for undergrad, and I've always been told that an MA should be a back up and that it's always a better choice to go straight into a PhD if you can.

In general, I feel like it's usually best to wait to have all the information possible. I'm just not sure if that's true in this case. Finances aren't too bad--tuition at UBC is really low and the offer is partially funded, and I have enough savings that I likely wouldn't have to go into debt. Also, I've been reliably informed that though it's still possible I'll be admitted to one of those PhDs, it's very unlikely, and the other is sort of a second choice for me in terms of research interests. I'd also just really like to make a decision ASAP because I need to start getting my life in order, and because I'm impatient.

Will doing a two year Canadian MA put me in an okay place for the rest of my career? Or is doing an MA separate from a PhD program enough of a back-up sort of plan that I should wait to hear back from those other schools anyway?

I am not sure if it matters if it is a Canadian school or not, but I had the same sort of preconceived notion that PhD was preferable to an MA program, even if you only have a BA, but I have been talking to a lot of people on here and some professors that seem to disagree. Getting an MA first can make you a much more competitive applicant when you do apply to PhD programs again, and if the program provides some good funding options, I don't think you can go wrong, especially if you like the program and you see yourself doing well there. I am in a really similar position and was disappointed because I always thought going straight into a PhD was ideal, but having a few options for an MA program has made me consider other options and realize that an MA really might be best for me based on what I know about myself and the feedback I have gotten from others. You could always take a break and reapply (something I'm also considering), but there is the chance that you still won't get into PhD programs next cycle and you will end up wasting a year. That is a SUPER pessimistic thought, but it's definitely one that's been plaguing me as I consider taking a gap year to improve my applications. It's risky, but you were waitlisted at two universities, so maybe if you think you can improve your apps significantly you should go for it!

I don't think you would be at a loss taking the MA; it would probably put you in a much better position when you apply to PhD programs again, and more school/perspective/learning is never a bad thing. This is how I am choosing to look at it anyway! I am not sure about the Canadian v. American MA situation, but if UBC is a good fit for your research interests, it would probably be okay. I think it would be wise to wait to hear back from the other schools. I was rejected from MN and my advisor reached out to the DGS there and he said they are much more likely to admit students that already have an MA based on the current financial situation at the university and the job market in general. I bet if you got an MA and reapplied at MN, you would definitely get accepted considering your research still fits and they are accepting Medieval students when you apply. Overall, I don't see an MA hurting you and if it's not a financial burden, you should definitely consider going for it. :) 

I am in a similar situation as you, except worse because I am waitlisted for a Canadian MA too :(But anyhow I was wondering too about how Canadian universities compare against American ones in terms of reputation and job prospect.

It seems like most Canadian phds end up in Canadian universities rather than in the US. Is this usually the case? If so, is it simply because it's easier to hire an American citizen in America, or also because they are deemed less reputable than top tier American universities? By the way, not having even visited America, I don't really know much about rankings there (basically I heard of Ivy league and Berkeley, that's the extent of my knowledge on this).  

As a Canadian who did an MA at a Canadian university, I can safely say that it was a great decision on my part. I really didn't know much of what I wanted to do for my research while I was in my undergrad, but the MA (especially the thesis at the end of it) really helped me develop my research and strengthen my application significantly. I was able to get in to a top program this year for my PhD, and I highly doubt that I would have been able to do that without the MA and the insight that it gave me into my research interests. So, in short, I would go for it! Plus, BC is beautiful.

Thanks, everyone. Everything you all said helped me decide a lot, and I'm definitely accepting the MA. I think the added insight into my future interests that I get at a program I match so well with will drastically improve my later PhD options, and also I'm just really psyched about being in BC.

@eadwacer Another option is fast-tracking into the PhD program from the MA. Once you complete your first year of coursework, you can consult with the grad chair and see if you can take that route, depending on your thesis project. :) I have an acquaintance who went to UBC and has opted to do this in the past (also a medievalist).

I'm going to be reapplying next year and am planning on focusing a lot on Canadian MA programs. I've heard (anecdotally of course) that plenty of Canadian MAs get placed at top tier US schools. On another note though: funding!? For an international student? How!? Congrats!