seriously .. no Africana Studies or AFrican American STudies this year?

hl348

I posted a smiliar topic a few days ago... but non responded! I saw last year's posting (african american studies 2009) and there were a number of people. I know there must be alot more people applying to graduate schools for fall 2010 out there. People on this cafe shouldn't be all the applicants this year. But.. at least on this website, seriously, theres no one applying to African studies or african american studies this year? or people havent just seen my posting yet?

I will start my own first then!

I am applying to Africana Studies at Cornell(MA).... applied to only one program; I know I am crazy........................................ haha

Dont be shy and please drop a line here plz if you are the one this posting is looking for smile.gif Lets get together, share info and help out each other! smile.gif

Edited by hl348

Hello! I have not applied to any Africana or African American Studies programs, but some of my work does fall under the branch of African American Studies. I was considering applying to some programs, but I ran out of time. Good luck with your Cornell application!

thank you for sharing, Victorianna! :) seems like few are applying to Africana Studies for this term( at leat here on thegradcafe.com). I dont know if it's a good thing or a bad thing though. If there aren't many people applying to the same program as I do, it's definitely a good thing for me cuz it means it's not going to be horribly competitive. BUt at the same time, I would like to make friends studying the same discipline and share info and tips altogether! haha. so what in african studies are you interested in? my interest area is African art(Fashion) and under/misrepresentation issues of Africa in the non-AFrican world. Best of luck with your applications!!! :)

I'm applying to history programs, but my focus is on African American history (free people of color in the antebellum, in particular). I'm vaguely interested in Africa, but am intensely interested in the history of race in America. I'm applying to just two places, so we'll see how that turns out. :o/

I posted a smiliar topic a few days ago... but non responded! I saw last year's posting (african american studies 2009) and there were a number of people. I know there must be alot more people applying to graduate schools for fall 2010 out there. People on this cafe shouldn't be all the applicants this year. But.. at least on this website, seriously, theres no one applying to African studies or african american studies this year? or people havent just seen my posting yet?

I will start my own first then!

I am applying to Africana Studies at Cornell(MA).... applied to only one program; I know I am crazy........................................ haha

Dont be shy and please drop a line here plz if you are the one this posting is looking for smile.gif Lets get together, share info and help out each other! smile.gif

I applied to 5 history depts and the Africana studies dept at UPenn. My research interest is the connections between poverty & criminal justice particularly among African Americans. Although I think an area studies would be more condusive to my research I questioned the respect an afam studies phd would get vs. a history phd with an emphasis in afam. Any thoughts?

I was also wondering about competition level for AfAm studies. I know history is fierce. I know I'm not the most competitive candidate but I'm hoping schools will consider my 10 yrs of work experience and my JD with honors.

I applied to 5 history depts and the Africana studies dept at UPenn. My research interest is the connections between poverty & criminal justice particularly among African Americans. Although I think an area studies would be more condusive to my research I questioned the respect an afam studies phd would get vs. a history phd with an emphasis in afam. Any thoughts?

I was also wondering about competition level for AfAm studies. I know history is fierce. I know I'm not the most competitive candidate but I'm hoping schools will consider my 10 yrs of work experience and my JD with honors.

I was wondering about the same thing too! Although my area(african studies) is a lil different from Afam studies, alot of schools do include african studies in its african american studies program or africana studies which is a more general term that encompasses both studies. I know AfAm studies is pretty competitve everywhere. I just hope African studies is not as competitive as afam studies is, thus putting myself in a better/easier(?) position.. sad.gif it's not that I chose African studies over Afam studies only because I thought African studies is easier to get in, though. ah best of luck on both of us!!

Edited by hl348

I was wondering about the same thing too! Although my area(african studies) is a lil different from Afam studies, alot of schools do include african studies in its african american studies program or africana studies which is a more general term that encompasses both studies. I know AfAm studies is pretty competitve everywhere. I just hope African studies is not as competitive as afam studies is, thus putting myself in a better/easier(?) position.. sad.gif it's not that I chose African studies over Afam studies only because I thought African studies is easier to get in, though. ah best of luck on both of us!!

well someone posted an acceptance to Berkeley & an interview at Northwestern so there on the site. Guess they just haven't check out our forum.

On the competitive front, there are more programs out there now. This will be the 2nd class for the program at Penn, 1st class at IU, & Brown has approved a Phd program but no word yet if they will have a class in 2010 or 2011. Director said she would contact me when they begin taking applications.

Is there a reason you only applied to 1 program?

well someone posted an acceptance to Berkeley & an interview at Northwestern so there on the site. Guess they just haven't check out our forum.

On the competitive front, there are more programs out there now. This will be the 2nd class for the program at Penn, 1st class at IU, & Brown has approved a Phd program but no word yet if they will have a class in 2010 or 2011. Director said she would contact me when they begin taking applications.

Is there a reason you only applied to 1 program?

So Brown has finally decided to launch their PhD program in Africana Studies? That's great to hear. Did my undergrad there. Who did you speak to? Would love to find out more! Thanks for the news...

I remember these days last year...I got into Berkeley around this time last year, and rejected from Northwestern a coupla weeks later! Good luck to everyone!

Edited by GoodGuy

So Brown has finally decided to launch their PhD program in Africana Studies? That's great to hear. Did my undergrad there. Who did you speak to? Would love to find out more! Thanks for the news...

I remember these days last year...I got into Berkeley around this time last year, and rejected from Northwestern a coupla weeks later! Good luck to everyone!

I spoke with Tricia Rose several months ago when I was deciding where to apply, I haven't received any new info & the website still says the program is pending so at this point I'm assuming they won't have a class this fall.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to the African-American/History program at Yale. Still waiting to hear something from them.

I applied to African American/Anthropology at Yale. Still waiting to hear too! What's taking them so long???

Hey, lovely to find someone talking about this.

I applied to Indiana U.'s new African American and African Diaspora program and was recently accepted - waiting to hear about funding. Does anyone have some insight into the program (any people that have gotten an M.A. from there?)

(I'm still waiting to hear from one other program as well - so my future is still but a foggy jumble of unmade decisions..)

Oh and research interests : representations of race and gender, particularly masculinity and new media.