Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your input. I could really use it!

I've been accepted to the following schools for the Master of Public Policy. I intend to study education policy.

UVA (with sizable scholarship)

Berkeley (no scholarship)

Columbia (1/4 scholarship)

Duke (about 1/2 scholarship)

UChicago (about 1/4 scholarship, but could change)

Michigan (about 1/3 scholarship, but could change)

Carnegie Mellon (about 3/4 scholarship)

Vanderbilt (very small scholarship)

I was also waitlisted at HKS.

Because of financial concerns, I'm prioritizing UVA, Duke, UChicago, Michigan, and Carnegie Mellon. However, Berkeley's got such a wonderful reputation... What are your thoughts?

I'm facing a very similar decision so I can't help much (mostly putting off any deciding until I hear about HKS aid). One thing I'm making sure to look at, though, is the availability for GSI and GRA positions. Berkeley is known for being very generous with those positions and they cover something like 60% of in-state tuition or 40% of out-of-state tuition. 

I would try to narrow some down. I made a spreadsheet with all of the tuition costs and fees and cost of living, along with any scholarships and savings that I had to see what each of the schools would cost me. It's easier (still really difficult) to make a decision if you know exactly how the costs will compare. I got 15k a year off of Chicago, but once I did the calculations realized that it was only a couple thousand different from Berkeley without any funding. The 15k I got off of Michigan meant it would be about 30k  total less than Chicago once cost of living factored in, and Ford is known to be better for GSI and GRA positions. 

Where do you want to live after graduate school? Do you want to work for the Department of Education in DC? Do you want to live in California? Sometimes, I think we get very caught up in a school's reputation (which might not be as important as we think) and a school's cost (which is totally important) and forget that perhaps the greatest asset that we will have after two years is a network. If you want to live in CA, prioritize GSPP. If you want to live in Chicago, the Harris School is probably going to set you up better than anybody else.  Etc. 

I'm in a similar boat - ed policy at GSPP, HKS, or Harris. Or the University of Nebraska-Omaha, because I might end up back in my hometown. It's very possible that UNO is the best call. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I consider UNO over HKS, but that network! 

What are your goals? Where do you want to be when you graduate?

3 hours ago, MarieG. said:

Carnegie Mellon (about 3/4 scholarship)

Also, I'm currently attending CMU. I discuss the pros and cons of attending the school here:

As noted in the post linked, the skills I am learning at CMU have enabled me to get into some highly selective employers, transcend its reputation, and compete with HKS and SAIS grads for the same positions. If I were you, CMU would be my choice given your funding (3/4 funding is awesome) and other offers. Comparable schools like Michigan, Berkeley, and Chicago might have a slightly "better" reputation (whatever that means...) but I do not believe that's worth losing the chance to learn the data analytics techniques taught here or an extra $40,000 over two years. Being on the east coast also helps. Last year, I was admitted to Johns Hopkins SAIS with no funding and Duke Sanford with a 50% tuition scholarship, and I still chose CMU (80% scholarship). But that's just me. It'd probably help your decision-making a little more to read the pros/cons post I linked above.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Edited by PolicyStud

Money aside, job placement and academics are also important factors (if not more important). Every MPP seem to tout how strong their quantitative curriculum, but what does that mean to you? Can you ascertain how rigorous the quantitative courses are? If the quant program/reputation is really rigorous, how much rigor do you need for your career choice? e.g. CMU and UChicago as universities have a reputation for rigorous quant - how important is that for your job interviews/function in education policy etc

Academically, how much time will you spend in class/on coursework vs networking, attending conferences, recruiting etc. You don't want to burn out in grad school even before you hitting the job market. Will the quarterly or semester schedule fit you better?

Finally, what does your gut tell you when you visit admitted student day, talking to fellow admits, current students, and alums? Do you feel you will fit in? Can you see yourself working late on a group project and not be annoyed by your future classmates (aka 4am airport test)? Can you stand being with your classmates for the next two years?

It's a tough art to master. It is going to be the next two years of your life. It's potentially the next set of lifelong relationships.

I was in a similar boat last year- ed policy and in at many of the same places with similar scholarships. I chose Berkeley for the quantitative rigor, the location, the opportunities to work (no scholarship, moderate savings, leaving debt-free), the super hospitable alumni network, and the connection I had on admitted students day. Let me know if you have any questions! 

@SDtoMPP do you have a GSI/GSR position at GSPP? Have you had one every semester? I am trying to figure out how much it will cost to attend Goldman (I'm in state) if I have a GSI position.

Also following this thread as a fellow ed policy-er

Thanks!

16 hours ago, coffeewalk said:

@SDtoMPP do you have a GSI/GSR position at GSPP? Have you had one every semester? I am trying to figure out how much it will cost to attend Goldman (I'm in state) if I have a GSI position.

Also following this thread as a fellow ed policy-er

Thanks!

I have had a position every semester. My first semester I was a GSI, then got hired by the same professor as a GSR for this semester. Unfortunately, my current position doesn't include fee remission, but it's $25/hour so it works out to be feasible for me. 

On 3/22/2017 at 1:03 PM, coffeewalk said:

@SDtoMPP Thanks! Also for the salary scale for GSI positions. Is the % you work (i.e. 25% or 50%) that percent of the salary? So if it's $4,000/ month and you work at 25% you'd get $1,000/month?

Yep! That's my understanding of the pay scale.