PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

13 hours ago, mav160 said:

Hey everyone! I'm super glad I found this forum early. This is my second time applying to Ph.D. programs (although the first time I applied I was going Clinical Psychology and now I am going Quantitative Psychology). That was almost two years ago. I am currently a second-year Psychological Research Masters student. I'm hoping I'll have better luck this go around.

Program of interest: Quantitative Psychology

Research interest: Structural Equation Modeling and Network Analysis limitations and applications

Schools: A wide variety including UNC Chapel Hill, Ohio State University, UCLA, UVA, Arizona State, UC Merced, etc.

Number one worry about applying: I feel like I'm still haunted by a less than stellar undergrad GPA. I graduated with a 3.3. During my sophomore year, I took a bunch of Bio and Chemistry classes in addition to Calculus and it wrecked my GPA. It was quite a climb to get to the 3.3. The reality is that was 4 years ago. I'm a different person now. I hope they don't hold it over my head.

Not worried about: Master's GPA (4.0), GRE (V157, Q161), Research Experience (2.5 years in 4 labs), Publications (1 submitted, 2 in prep [potentially submitted before application deadline, fingers crossed]), and LoR (3 pretty stellar ones from the labs I've worked in for the past year)

On a side note (speaking to anyone who has potentially been rejected and is super down), getting rejected 2 years was a good thing. It was a complete ego blow, and I was devastated. However, I decided to go to a Masters program to try, and improve my chances and from that experience, I realized that Clinical was not a good fit for me. I'd never even heard of Quantitative Psychology in my undergraduate. Plus even if I still wanted to go clinical, I gained 1.5 years of research experience and posters/publications that would greatly improve my chances. Just want to throw it out there that rejection can be helpful, and 1 year can make a dramatic difference in your application!

I completely know how you feel! I applied to PhD programs my senior year of college and I got rejected from them all. I was so upset I didn't know what to do. Looking back now I realize I was pretty naive about the whole process. I also had a less than stellar GPA but I'm hoping that my research experience and masters program will make up for that as well. Good luck!

6 hours ago, cindyboop said:

Does anyone know of any good GRE math concept flash cards? Do those exist? 

I don't know of any and I don't think they would help very much. Just do a ton of practice problems, the concepts will come with practice. A lot of books combine questions into concepts (triangles, circles, surface area and volume, etc) so you can target the concepts you want to review. But seriously, with the math sections there's no better studying that copious amounts of practice problems.

17 hours ago, acceptme said:

I don't know of any and I don't think they would help very much. Just do a ton of practice problems, the concepts will come with practice. A lot of books combine questions into concepts (triangles, circles, surface area and volume, etc) so you can target the concepts you want to review. But seriously, with the math sections there's no better studying that copious amounts of practice problems.

Okay, thanks. I have magoosh and I thought I was doing well and I started doing practice problems and it was like nothing was sticking. I thought it I had flashcards to remember things it would help. But I did end up buying a math book so hopefully that will help. Thanks for your advice!

• 2 weeks later...

I reached out to two PI's with whom I had extensive contact with last year. School A waitlisted me last cycle, and this PI at school A is not accepting new students this year. Bummer. POI at School B has not gotten back to me through email. We had extensive communication before and after the last application cycle. She invited me to reach out to her should I not be accepted during the cycle. I'm bummed she hasn't gotten back, she could be on vacation or such.

i love the program at school B!  I had a fair amount of contact with another POI at school B (but she was my second preferred individual). If the first targeted POI doesn't get back to me, would it be unwise to reach out to the otherPOI at school B? It's health psych experimental so there are not a ton of programs 

43 minutes ago, Psychapplica said:

I reached out to two PI's with whom I had extensive contact with last year. School A waitlisted me last cycle, and this PI at school A is not accepting new students this year. Bummer. POI at School B has not gotten back to me through email. We had extensive communication before and after the last application cycle. She invited me to reach out to her should I not be accepted during the cycle. I'm bummed she hasn't gotten back, she could be on vacation or such.

i love the program at school B!  I had a fair amount of contact with another POI at school B (but she was my second preferred individual). If the first targeted POI doesn't get back to me, would it be unwise to reach out to the otherPOI at school B? It's health psych experimental so there are not a ton of programs 

I think you should reach out to the other POI at school B! For some programs I have looked at they encourage you to identify more than one POI in case one is not taking new students, or the admission committee thinks you are a better fit for one vs the others research. You could even say in your email that you have spoken with such and such and explain how both people appeal to your interests. 

I guess I'll post now as we're getting closer to the actual application process. This is my second round of applications, and I'm going to stay hopeful and positive this round no matter what the outcomes. 

Program of Interest: Clinical Psychology 

Research Interests: Forensic related 

Schools: I'm up to about 14 schools now, but may narrow down a few as it gets closer  (Drexel, Univ. of Nebraska-Lincoln, Univ. of Alabama, Baylor, Texas A&M, etc.) 

Number One Worry: My GRE scores. Didn't have the time/money/energy to retake them this year, even though that was the plan. 

Not Worried About: My GPA (undergrad and master's), research experience, and letters of recommendation. 

I'm kind of at the point where I know I'm shooting for the stars for some of my programs, but I'm going to just put everything I have out on the table and see what this round brings me. I feel a lot more confident and prepared going in this time around, and it is a huge help to not be taking on the hurdle of understanding the application process for the first time. We'll see what this application cycle brings and I'm excited to try this again (we'll see how my feelings change as the months pass by). 

Edited by Becks_Psych

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to have found this forum. :) I'm a stay-at-home mom to an almost 2-year-old (and also help out with the fitness business my husband and I own) but would love to get back into research. My undergrad was in Psych and I have a master's degree in Higher Education.

My research background is a little untraditional, as most of my experience is from the administration side. I worked in academic research for about 8 years, including being a project manager for an RO1. I was involved in all aspects of the project and was lucky to be listed as co-author on several papers/presentations (some papers just coming out this year). I think all of this is a huge plus for my applications, but I'm a little worried since I wasn't working in a psychology department (I was in a nursing college and the study was on asthma). My recommenders are all research professors in various programs/colleges who I previously worked with.

Program of interest: Social Psychology

Schools you have looked at: UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine (UCLA, Stanford, and Berkeley are doable location-wise, but I'm not sure if I'd be overshooting there given the competition)

My worries about applying: Long time since being in school; hoping I do at least average on the GRE (taking in September); professional research wasn't in psychology field

Looking forward to reading more!

My participating in and reading this thread will likely spike my anxiety levels. 

But I like that it's here. 

I'm 24. Finishing grad school in '18 May and still narrowing down to favorite and applicable programs. 

Interests: Psychoanalytics #TBT

@April12345 I would like to put you more at ease! I really don't think anyone would hold it against you that your research wasn't directly related to psychology. This is especially true if you make the bridge to your current research interests in a clever way (this would happen in the Statement of Purpose). For example, I'm currently doing a lot of research for medical journals on knee replacement surgeries, but I'm bridging it by saying I became interested in the psychological components that make surgeries go more poorly for some and not others. I hope this helps!

On a side note, I noticed that you are applying to a lot of California schools. You might want to check out UC Merced. They don't have a social area, but they do have health, developmental, and quantitative. Who knows, maybe they will have a professor who magically works awesome with your research interests (stranger things have happened).

Program of interest: Social Psychology (specifically Social Cognition, but I'm gonna be a LOT more open this year about my programs). I also enjoy Perceptual Development.

Schools you have looked at: I have a 59-school spreadsheet from last year of every school I looked at, but I'm trying to start fresh. Last year I applied to UC Riverside, UC Irvine, Washington, Washington State, Texas (Austin), Indiana, Temple, Maryland, Northeastern, NYU, Princeton, and Cornell. I also applied to the post-bac program at Pitt. 

Number one worry about applying: That I haven't done much to improve since last time around. I've had a horrible year with personal things keeping me busy. All my rejections came very late into rejection season last year, so paid lab positions were already filled for this coming year. I'm back at my job from last summer again, and I'm staying on as a regular employee instead of staying seasonal. It's *kind of* psychological. I'm working with kids and it is based in the Dual Process Theory of Cognition, but it's all just practice. They haven't even promoted me to coding yet. Nothing else has changed from last year, other than being even rustier on all my concepts and math and having even less access to all my old college networks. 

@mav160 Thank you so much! That's really good advice. Most of my interests focus around the transition into parenthood. I've thought about identity issues facing new parents, how close family dynamics affect perinatal mood disorders, and also the ways new moms seek out group support (in the absence of traditional group therapy). 

Thinking back to the asthma study -- one of the co-PIs added some psychological metrics to our instrument list, including a depression scale and social support scale. Plus, all of our participants were parents. I think I can make a bridge there somehow. :)

And thank you for the suggestion! I'll definitely check out UC Merced!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I am a senior Psych/Sociology major graduating this December. I'm applying to PhD programs in the hopes of teaching at the university level and/or researching, either for universities or in the private sector. I feel confident that I could get into a good portion of the schools on my list (2-3 reaches, 3-4 in which I'm an above average candidate, and 3-4 where I am far above the average candidate.) However, I go to a fairly small liberal arts college in Texas. It is by no means a research school, but I've tried to make the best of it.

Program of interest: Social Psychology or Experimental with social specialization

Research interests: socialization, social identity and constructions, interpersonal relationships/communications, conflict

Schools: University of Washington, UT-Austin, University of Wyoming, University of Nevada-Reno, Washington State, Portland State University, Oregon State University are the "for sures," but I have another 15 or so that could also make the list.

Worries about applying: GRE scores, research experience/publications and number of schools to apply to. 

My scores were 159 verbal/152 quantitative/4.5 analytical. That puts me at above 80th percentile for writing, but slightly below 50th percentile for math. Much of the math section was algebra and geometry, which I have not practiced in several years, and my teachers in HS weren't the best. I tried to brush up before the GRE, but I don't know how much it helped. I feel like my verbal/analytical scores as well as my GPA made up for that though. My adviser has suggested possibly taking a master's level stats course at my school in the Spring. Some have suggested retaking the GRE, but I will be busy this semester and money is an issue.

My other main worry is my research experience. I don't have any publications nor any formal presentations (yet). I will be presenting a research project I developed on my own at the university's undergraduate research forum this fall. If it's completed in time, I will apply to present at the Southwestern Psychological Association in spring 2018. I will also aim to present at the Honors symposium on campus during spring. Lastly, I will be submitting my research paper for study abroad as my honors capstone, which I also intend to present somewhere.

What makes me feel slightly better at least, is that I have a breadth of experience: I've traveled to regional and national conferences (not to present, mind you), studied abroad in London, interned at a local mental health center for the past year, and have been active in the honors program since I entered school. I have been student assistant of the honors program for the past 3 years and am now the chair of the Honors Student Committee, after having been vice chair.

Basically, although I may not have as much experience to show that other applicants might, the intentions are there and I'm certainly making progress in some areas. I'm hoping that showing the dedication will be enough, even if I am underwhelming in the research area.

Not worried about: Undergrad GPA (~3.8) and LoR. All of three professors for my letters I have had several courses with. One professor of which, I studied abroad in London with this past summer. Another is my adviser and has worked with me closely on an independent research project of mine. The third was my professor for Personal Relations class and Writing in Psychology, as well as being the new chair of the department (which might reflect better?) The LoR might save me, as they will explain my situation better.

17 hours ago, ls19 said:

My other main worry is my research experience. I don't have any publications nor any formal presentations (yet). I will be presenting a research project I developed on my own at the university's undergraduate research forum this fall. If it's completed in time, I will apply to present at the Southwestern Psychological Association in spring 2018. I will also aim to present at the Honors symposium on campus during spring. Lastly, I will be submitting my research paper for study abroad as my honors capstone, which I also intend to present somewhere.

What makes me feel slightly better at least, is that I have a breadth of experience: I've traveled to regional and national conferences (not to present, mind you), studied abroad in London, interned at a local mental health center for the past year, and have been active in the honors program since I entered school. I have been student assistant of the honors program for the past 3 years and am now the chair of the Honors Student Committee, after having been vice chair.

Note that publications in itself are not necessary - it's also about experience. I've seen plenty of people enter grad school without a publication. My belief is still that publications can also be right place right time during undergrad. Some profs are also more willing than others to put student names on papers. Although I wouldn't know how much studying abroad in itself may help tbh - I've lived 2 years in Asia (although I'd like to do a PhD related to cultural psych so it may help for that reason), but I've also been involved in things that I'll just leave for my resume and will not discuss as they only distract from what I'm trying communicate. Like my student council time has no direct relevance for what I want to tell and I leave it for my SoPs to communicate that I have leadership skills and am a great teamplayer and open to new people or smthing. In the end you want to say I want to communicate I want to be an academic researcher and this is why I want this PhD on this topic. 

7 hours ago, Psygeek said:

Note that publications in itself are not necessary - it's also about experience. I've seen plenty of people enter grad school without a publication. My belief is still that publications can also be right place right time during undergrad. Some profs are also more willing than others to put student names on papers. Although I wouldn't know how much studying abroad in itself may help tbh - I've lived 2 years in Asia (although I'd like to do a PhD related to cultural psych so it may help for that reason), but I've also been involved in things that I'll just leave for my resume and will not discuss as they only distract from what I'm trying communicate. Like my student council time has no direct relevance for what I want to tell and I leave it for my SoPs to communicate that I have leadership skills and am a great teamplayer and open to new people or smthing. In the end you want to say I want to communicate I want to be an academic researcher and this is why I want this PhD on this topic. 

Thanks for the response, Psygeek. And I absolutely agree, even at larger schools you have to be in with the right people to get publications. 

Also, what does SoP stand for? Statement of purpose?

"In the end you want to say I want to communicate I want to be an academic researcher and this is why I want this PhD on this topic." Spot on. I hope that I get that across in my personal statements.

Hi guysl, Just thought I'd make a post too. I am a Finance and Economics undergrad who will begin a Masters at LSE this month. I am planning to apply to PhD Finance programs for Fall 2018 with the intention of pursuing a career of academic research in asset pricing.. I'm just following the format followed by previous posters

Program of interest: Finance

Research interests: Asset Pricing (Theoretical and Empirical)

Schools: I have a list of 28 schools I am applying to. They include good schools such as NYU, Northwestern, Duke, Cornell, high second tier (USC Marshall, Rochester, Washington Foster and WashU Olin, Texas Austin, LSE, LBS) as well as lower second tier (Boston College, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc).

Worries about applying: GRE scores solely. 

My GRE score was:

Q164 (87th percentile)

V163 (93rd percentile)

AW: 5.0 (93rd percentile)

The worry is the quant score which is below average for Finance applicants but I am hoping it is good enough for me to pass the initial screening. I believe the rest of my application is strong:

Undergrad: Undergraduate Honours Degree in Finance and Econometrics (2nd in cohort) from a global top 50 university from Australia

GPA: First Class Honours (translates roughly to 4.0 in US system)

Grad: MSc in Finance and Economics at London School of Economics (August 2017-June 2018)

Research Experience: Working Paper on asset pricing theory. Expect to publish in next few years. Also worked as an RA for a research institute tied to the university 

Teaching Experience: Teaching Assistant for an introductory corporate finance course at undergraduate level. I was an academic tutor for 10 classes a week, performed marking duties and exam supervision when necessary. Teaching evaluation was 5.18/6.00 which is well above average

I am hoping if I get good marks at LSE and hence can get a top reference (I already have 3 referees from my local university), I can make a good fist of my application in spite of grad score. I am happy to go top 40 or top 50 but I will also aim for top 20 and 30. Hopefully I can get a bite somewhere.

13 hours ago, ls19 said:

Thanks for the response, Psygeek. And I absolutely agree, even at larger schools you have to be in with the right people to get publications. 

Also, what does SoP stand for? Statement of purpose?

"In the end you want to say I want to communicate I want to be an academic researcher and this is why I want this PhD on this topic." Spot on. I hope that I get that across in my personal statements.

Yep SoP = Statement of purpose

Also for publications - I once had a lecture on career advice from this prof of NYU. He said he finds it more interesting if an applicant (for a postdoc thing - not PhD) has 1 or 2 reallyyy good and interesting publications than 10 so-so ones. After all, those 2 show your potential to do great work, whereas the 10 mediocre ones just say you do kinda mediocre research. I'm still using this as my guideline. Quality over quantity. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5-8-2017 at 6:42 PM, SocCog said:

Program of interest: Social Psychology (specifically Social Cognition, but I'm gonna be a LOT more open this year about my programs). I also enjoy Perceptual Development.

Schools you have looked at: I have a 59-school spreadsheet from last year of every school I looked at, but I'm trying to start fresh. Last year I applied to UC Riverside, UC Irvine, Washington, Washington State, Texas (Austin), Indiana, Temple, Maryland, Northeastern, NYU, Princeton, and Cornell. I also applied to the post-bac program at Pitt. 

Number one worry about applying: That I haven't done much to improve since last time around. I've had a horrible year with personal things keeping me busy. All my rejections came very late into rejection season last year, so paid lab positions were already filled for this coming year. I'm back at my job from last summer again, and I'm staying on as a regular employee instead of staying seasonal. It's *kind of* psychological. I'm working with kids and it is based in the Dual Process Theory of Cognition, but it's all just practice. They haven't even promoted me to coding yet. Nothing else has changed from last year, other than being even rustier on all my concepts and math and having even less access to all my old college networks. 

Could you share your spreadsheet with me?? (maybe through PM) I wanna look at more schools. I only have 4-5 on my list and feel its too little

13 hours ago, April12345 said:

Hey @cindyboop , this might be too late but the Magoosh GMAT flashcard app works well. The subjects seem to be the same covered in the GRE, as far as I can tell.

Thanks! I've postponed taking the test until October so I might check this out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 12:56 AM, Psygeek said:

UP! How's everyone doing?

I narrowed down my list of programs from 31 to 15 over the weekend.  Now I just need to narrow it down a bit more and then I can finally get started on the actual applications.  How are your applications going?