3 Acceptances! Now confused where to go! Plz help

kaleembogor

I got accepted into 3 different programs, 3 different universities and 3 different countries.. Now really confused... 1. MA South East Asian Studies SOAS University of London, 2. Master of Management Science, University of Waterloo (canada), 3. Master of Science Economics, The New School (NY)... 

SOAS is my passion!! Waterloo is affordable and my career.. The New School also relate to what I do now.. 

Plz share your ideas and suggestions...

Hi! For those on the forum outside your academic field, what is SOAS?

I'm struggling with deciding where to go for my masters degree too, so I made a comparison table - each school has a column and then in the rows I compare things like funding, advisors, campus life, departmental strengths, etc. Maybe that could help you as well? I know I was overwhelmed by the amount of factors that go into this decision, and I can imagine that you are too! It's so hard for another person to tell you where you should go, especially if we don't know your background, research interests, or goals for your degree (you mentioned a career, what are you aiming for? :) ) I could send you a copy of my table if you'd like.

~Courtney

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:26 PM, geologyninja13 said:

I'm struggling with deciding where to go for my masters degree too, so I made a comparison table - each school has a column and then in the rows I compare things like funding, advisors, campus life, departmental strengths, etc. Maybe that could help you as well? I know I was overwhelmed by the amount of factors that go into this decision, and I can imagine that you are too! It's so hard for another person to tell you where you should go, especially if we don't know your background, research interests, or goals for your degree (you mentioned a career, what are you aiming for? :) ) I could send you a copy of my table if you'd like.

~Courtney

I like the idea of a ramped up pro/con list. I'm going to PM you, @geologyninja13

On 3/22/2017 at 1:26 AM, geologyninja13 said:

~Courtney

Thank you very much for this kind reply. I am sorry for late response. SOAS is School of Oriental & African Studies, University of London.. Main specialty is in languages and cultures of Asia.. My previous background is in business administration, finance and accounting.. I got admitted MA South East Asian Studies with particular emphasis on Indonesia.. The other offers are in Management Science and Economics, which are in Waterloo and The New School respectively..  

SOAS offer the program which I am really interested... other two are something which can take me to a better job..

Edited by kaleembogor

On 3/21/2017 at 4:26 PM, geologyninja13 said:

~Courtney

This is a great idea. Sending you a PM as well if you don't mind!

@kaleembogor, Asian Studies seems to be very different from a standard Management/Business management degree. If it's your passion that motivates you to get up in the morning, I'd say do SOAS if you can afford to! I know here is the USA we desperately need a good perspective on it, I would hope you could find a job along that path here or elsewhere. Later along the road your employer may support you to get a MBA degree if you feel like you need that skill set and can't acquire it on the job. You can even do MBAs remotely while still working though many universities.

If you do want to go to Waterloo for its affordable cost, I saw that the MMsc degree of U of Waterloo is a coursework degree, which wouldn't give you a lot of flexibility to add an Asian spin to things. If you can't afford to live and study in London, maybe you could petition to change to the Masters of Applied Science in management at Waterloo with its thesis option? Then you could focus your thesis on an Asian problem, and possibly ask for a foreign policy/international economics faculty member to be a co-advisor.

At the New School, it looks like you would have five elective credits to take, if they have any courses on Asian studies.

Did you get financial aid from any of the programs? If not, The New School might be really pricey if it's not what you're passionate about, rent in NYC is a minimum of $1,200 per month unless you want to share a rat-infested shoebox.

@geologyninja13 thank you so much for these really beneficial comments and suggestions... Yes Asian Studies is new for me, my interest was developed due to frequent visit to South East Asia and visiting the magical ancient sites and meeting some really wonderful people... Yes I had now decided to give up the dream of attending the SOAS (A Dream that Gone Sore)))).. I knocked many doors to avail some Tuition reduction but to vain.. I had decided to accept Waterloo.. and will see if sometime in future I could afford SOAS...  

Edited by kaleembogor