ENMU SLP Leveling Pre-req Courses

Hello all! I need to take multiple CSD pre-req courses this summer (phonetics, anatomy & physiology, speech & lang development, intro to audiology, intro to commun disorders). Has anyone ever taken leveling courses at East New Mexico University online (ENMU)? It seems to be very affordable compared to other universities (only about $825 per course) and it is all online. Are the courses difficult? Are they completely online or were you required to take proctored tests? How many hours per week did you spend on each course? What would be the maximum number of courses you would recommend taking over the summer? (I will be a full time student this summer with no job) Any other information or insight would be helpful. Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a different university that offers pre-req's for less than $1000 per course I would be interested in that information, as well. Thanks!

I took a few pre-reqs with ENMU (neuro and language science). I found it to be the cheapest school as well. Neuro was really tough but I think that class in general is tough and language science was easy. They are completely online and only some are proctored. The neuro class only had the final exam proctored (which was easier than the other exams) and language science was not proctored at all. I have only taken two classes at a time during summer (&worked 10 hrs/week) and that was enough for me. I think depending on which classes you are combining I would not take more than 2-3 since they are short and accelerated it can be easy to fall behind. Given that this field is so incredibly competitive you want to ensure you get all A's so I wouldn't push it. 

Hi, I actually took all of those pre-reqs at ENMU! I chose it because it was the cheapest I could find, plus it had all the classes I needed and I didn't want to have to mix and match and have even more transcripts to send in.  The most I ever took at once was 3, and that was pretty stressful, but I was working part time - if you aren't working I think you could do it, but I wouldn't go over 3. Just make sure to stay organized to not miss any deadlines.  Over the summer I took 2, intro to comm disorders and neuro, because I tried to balance a less demanding course with a harder one.

I would say of all of them, anatomy was the toughest course for me. It was definitely the most demanding in terms of assignments and projects, instead of just quizzes. And her tests were pretty hard. Neuro was hard too, but she repeated questions a lot from quiz to quiz to really drill the info in, so the final wasn't too bad.  Audiology took a lot of time and was on the harder side. Intro to disorders and phonetics were probably the easiest so if you are going to do 3, you might want to include them. Language development was a lot of info but (to me at least) more interesting and easier to absorb than the more science-y ones! 

The courses were all completely online and neuro has been the only class that required a proctored exam (just the final, like tvl said) BUT you can take it with an online proctor - basically you just take it with your webcam recording you. 

The way the courses are run totally depends on the teacher - some had no lecture component at all, some all lecture, some in between. I would read ratemyprofessor reviews before picking if you have the choice. Some were definitely more helpful than others. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me! 

Good luck!

PS - I  just re-read that you need to take 5 all this summer... I don't actually think they let you take more than 4 at a time, so you may need to combine schools if you need to do all 5  - maybe you can find another school that has a slightly different schedule so they don't all overlap

I'm in it right now and I love it.  I started last semester, and have already taken majority of the prereqs at a university near me, so Ive only taken a few courses with ENMU.  I took language science, language disorders,  and language development last semester and got all A's.  everything last semester was open book and that really helped me a lot since I was working full-time.  language disorders, there were no lectures to stream just hand outs and chapters to read and quizzes and projects were based on that.  this semester I'm taking neuro, speech science, and aural rehab.  little tougher than last semester, but I'm not overwhelmed.   and like previous posters said, only neuroscience's final is proctored.  

All the professors I've had so far are great too, and two even wrote me recommendations.  

• 1 month later...

I was accepted to the leveling program for summer but I was advised to and then applied for the 2nd bachelors instead to get my GPA up. They haven't admitted me as an undergrad yet though, ironically they were a bit more picky about transcripts.  I'm going to be taking some classes this summer, one way or the other but I'd kind of like to get signed up. Maybe I should register as a leveler to hold spots for myself in the classes I want lol.

23 minutes ago, tonguelover said:

I was accepted to the leveling program for summer but I was advised to and then applied for the 2nd bachelors instead to get my GPA up. They haven't admitted me as an undergrad yet though, ironically they were a bit more picky about transcripts.  I'm going to be taking some classes this summer, one way or the other but I'd kind of like to get signed up. Maybe I should register as a leveler to hold spots for myself in the classes I want lol.

What's the difference between the two?  I'm a prep leveling student, but I'm pretty sure once I'm done I will earn a 2nd bachelor's degree?

Are you leveling at ENMU? I dont think you get the Bachelor's degree unless you are admitted to the BS Program. But you'll take all the same classes (except 1, I think). 

I could be wrong. Don't take my word for anything because I am doing this almost on the spur of the moment, and I don't thoroughly understand all the ramifications of what I'm getting into yet. I just havent had time to research it all because I'm much older and time is running out for career changes, I didn't want to take a chance on missing summer school so I just plowed straight ahead. This route seemed to be the best choice for me after talking to Dr Swift and an advisor, but it may not be the best choice for everyone.

Edited by tonguelover

On 3/21/2017 at 9:06 PM, edardi1 said:

I'm in it right now and I love it.  I started last semester, and have already taken majority of the prereqs at a university near me, so Ive only taken a few courses with ENMU.  I took language science, language disorders,  and language development last semester and got all A's.  everything last semester was open book and that really helped me a lot since I was working full-time.  language disorders, there were no lectures to stream just hand outs and chapters to read and quizzes and projects were based on that.  this semester I'm taking neuro, speech science, and aural rehab.  little tougher than last semester, but I'm not overwhelmed.   and like previous posters said, only neuroscience's final is proctored.  

All the professors I've had so far are great too, and two even wrote me recommendations.  

Hi, I just finished the spring semester with a 4.0 (454 and 434 were rough) but who wrote your LOR's if I may ask? I am for sure going to ask Dr. Hall since I took two classes with her but idk who else to ask. Thanks in advance.

10 hours ago, Daniel998 said:

Hi, I just finished the spring semester with a 4.0 (454 and 434 were rough) but who wrote your LOR's if I may ask? I am for sure going to ask Dr. Hall since I took two classes with her but idk who else to ask. Thanks in advance.

434 was rough!  Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way.  Dr. Wilkerson and Dr. Copple wrote them for me.  Although, Wilkerson gets asked a lot, so he only writes them for your top 3 schools.  Good luck.  

1 hour ago, tonguelover said:

What did you find rough about those classes? It might help me and others be prepared (or scared lol).

I haven't taken 454 yet, which is Speech and Language Assessment, but 434, Aural Rehab, I wouldn't say was hard, but more like the teacher, Dr. Lingnau, took off points for mundane things.  Just remember for the weekly discussions to be as detailed as possible in your responses.  

3 hours ago, edardi1 said:

I haven't taken 454 yet, which is Speech and Language Assessment, but 434, Aural Rehab, I wouldn't say was hard, but more like the teacher, Dr. Lingnau, took off points for mundane things.  Just remember for the weekly discussions to be as detailed as possible in your responses.  

Thanks, that will be helpful when I take it.

10 hours ago, edardi1 said:

434 was rough!  Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way.  Dr. Wilkerson and Dr. Copple wrote them for me.  Although, Wilkerson gets asked a lot, so he only writes them for your top 3 schools.  Good luck.  

454 is alright. I got an A thankfully! I ordered the online version of the textbook which helped me a lot. Damn, I had issues with Dr. Wilkerson and the TA since they thought I resubmitted a paper so I am hesitant to ask him. Which schools did you apply to?

What does 454 entail?  

And this past year I applied to LSU Health Sciences Center, University of Houston, University of Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, University of South Alabama, and Jackson State University.  I think next year I'm just going to stick with LSUHSC, UH, and ULL.  How about you?

On 5/15/2017 at 8:09 PM, tonguelover said:

How did you apply for the 2nd bachelor's?

On 5/18/2017 at 9:16 PM, edardi1 said:

What does 454 entail?  

And this past year I applied to LSU Health Sciences Center, University of Houston, University of Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, University of South Alabama, and Jackson State University.  I think next year I'm just going to stick with LSUHSC, UH, and ULL.  How about you?

I am hoping to apply to these schools: University of South Dakota, Eastern New Mexico University, Truman State, Fresno State, Fort Hays State, University of Central Arkansas, Idaho State University, University of Central Oklahoma. California is very competitive so I am hoping I can get into Fresno or I will have to go out-of-state. How many months did you study for the GRE? What resourrces did you use? magoosh?

54 minutes ago, Daniel998 said:

I am hoping to apply to these schools: University of South Dakota, Eastern New Mexico University, Truman State, Fresno State, Fort Hays State, University of Central Arkansas, Idaho State University, University of Central Oklahoma. California is very competitive so I am hoping I can get into Fresno or I will have to go out-of-state. How many months did you study for the GRE? What resourrces did you use? magoosh?

about 3 to 4 months before.  I used magoosh and tutor i found on wyzant.com

13 hours ago, edardi1 said:

How did you apply for the 2nd bachelor's?

I just went through the normal application process http://itsweb.enmu.edu/ssb.php?w=p&d=apply   and selected it when it appeared as a choice. I'm still waiting for some old transcripts to get there.

And I'm confused why you are asking. Your signature says you already have a BS in CDIS from ENMU, so why are wondering if you will get a BS doing the leveling program? I must be misunderstanding something here...

Edited by tonguelover

13 hours ago, tonguelover said:

I just went through the normal application process http://itsweb.enmu.edu/ssb.php?w=p&d=apply   and selected it when it appeared as a choice. I'm still waiting for some old transcripts to get there.

And I'm confused why you are asking. Your signature says you already have a BS in CDIS from ENMU, so why are wondering if you will get a BS doing the leveling program? I must be misunderstanding something here...

I'm in the prep leveling program, which for the longest time I thought was the same as the 2nd bachelor's program.  I emailed Suzanne Swift and she told me I had to reapply if I wanted a 2nd BS. 

Edited by edardi1

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone or has anyone taken CDIS 300 A&P with Bougie? It's horrible, as I'm finding out. She has a quiz scheduled for material we don't even cover until next week and her lectures are unlistenable. She seems like she hates what she is doing. I may have to reconsider ENMU if I have to take more classes by her. Its that bad.

Edited by tonguelover

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2017 at 10:55 AM, tonguelover said:

Is anyone or has anyone taken CDIS 300 A&P with Bougie? It's horrible, as I'm finding out. She has a quiz scheduled for material we don't even cover until next week and her lectures are unlistenable. She seems like she hates what she is doing. I may have to reconsider ENMU if I have to take more classes by her. Its that bad.

I've been taking CDIS 300 with Bougie and I was looking at this posting just because I have been shocked by how bad A&P with her and Speech and Hearing Sciences CDIS 400 with Martin have been!  Any advice from people who have taken classes with Bougie and Martin before??

Edited by gradgirl91

3 hours ago, gradgirl91 said:

I've been taking CDIS 300 with Bougie and I was looking at this posting just because I have been shocked by how bad A&P with her and Speech and Hearing Sciences CDIS 400 with Martin have been!  Any advice from people who have taken classes with Bougie and Martin before??

Martin gives a lot of bonus points.  I honestly think Speech Science will be boring no matter who teaches it.  I like Martin though, and like I said he gives lots of bonus points.  

On 6/11/2017 at 9:55 AM, tonguelover said:

So I'm hearing all these terrible things about Bougie.  How is Irene Barrow?  Does anyone know?

• 3 weeks later...

I specifically spent double the money to take A&P at MGH rather than ENMU because I saw Bougie's reviews on rate my professor. I have had a great experience with Stephanie Lebsack in Phonology, and an ok experience with Suzanne Swift for Intro to Commun Disorders. Just FYI :) 

How is MGH working out? I think Swift is good, though her tests and quizzes are hard at least she is a good instructor and is quick tyo respond to emails.

A frustrating thing about ENMU online is you don't get your tests and quizzes back so you can correct what you got wrong. Maybe they do that other places too, I've only taken one online class before this and it wasn't this way.  I guess this is to prevent sharing it with other students, which is an understandable concern. But we also have to be able to fix our errors and misunderstandings and this makes it a lot harder to do so.

Edited by sublingual