Schedule of a graduate student?

Does anybody have any insight into how many hours a day/week we are on campus, and what our schedules will probably look like the first semester? I understand that it varies with each school, just wondering about general ideas. Thanks!

I received a schedule from one of my programs. I have Friday off entirely. Every class is only once a week for about an 1 hour and 50 minutes. Monday Wednesday and Thursday I have 2 classes. Tuesday I have 1. They are all after 12.

I spend a LOT of time on campus. Even on days when I don't have a lot of classes, I typically have clinic, paperwork, studying, clinic prep, research, homework (and now TA work) to do. Some of that can be done at home, but I've found it easier to do the majority of it on campus. I just think of this as my job, and I'm on the clock from (roughly) 8 to 5.  As soon as I get home, I typically just want to crash, and do normal non-grad school things. :) Easier said than done, but that's what I've been striving for, lately.

My first quarter was a bit less hectic. I still spent the majority of the day on campus, though, and had a fairly heavy course load (17 credits). I'm sure it varies a bit by school, but the CSD building has definitely become my second home!

I went to grad school for another field a few years ago (and starting SLP grad school in August). We were expected to be at our clinical sites during the day. Then (from what I can remember), each class met for 3 hours once a week, usually at night. So I would maybe be in class from say 4 - 10pm twice a week.

On 3/22/2017 at 9:17 PM, jessie_lee said:

I spend a LOT of time on campus. Even on days when I don't have a lot of classes, I typically have clinic, paperwork, studying, clinic prep, research, homework (and now TA work) to do. Some of that can be done at home, but I've found it easier to do the majority of it on campus. I just think of this as my job, and I'm on the clock from (roughly) 8 to 5.  As soon as I get home, I typically just want to crash, and do normal non-grad school things. :) Easier said than done, but that's what I've been striving for, lately.

My first quarter was a bit less hectic. I still spent the majority of the day on campus, though, and had a fairly heavy course load (17 credits). I'm sure it varies a bit by school, but the CSD building has definitely become my second home!

My schedule is similar to jessie_lee. Plus I think it depends on which semester you are looking at too. I'm at the clinic every day Monday-Friday and it was the same last semester as well. Even though I might not be in classes, I'm in clinic everyday doing therapy prep, conducting sessions, writing notes and progress reports, and going to meetings. I would prepare to be on campus everyday. In terms of classes, I have class everyday, with most of them being 1-2x a week for an hour and 50 minutes at a time. Classes in grad school tend to meet less often but for longer chunks of time generally. Hope this helps! 

I would usually be on campus 3-4 days a week. Since I was a commuter student, I'd only come to campus when I had to, but when I did go, I'd try to get as much done as I could. I also think it depends on who you are as a student. Some people really need to be in the clinic to get work done. I found it distracting with all my friends around and was fine getting work done at home. Classes usually just met once a week for an hour and 40 minutes, and I'd take a max of 5 classes per semester, but towards the end of my program I'd only have 1 per semester. For off-campus placements, students are usually at their site all day (6-8 hours) for 3-5 days per week.

2 hours ago, junglebae said:

I would usually be on campus 3-4 days a week. Since I was a commuter student, I'd only come to campus when I had to, but when I did go, I'd try to get as much done as I could. I also think it depends on who you are as a student. Some people really need to be in the clinic to get work done. I found it distracting with all my friends around and was fine getting work done at home. Classes usually just met once a week for an hour and 40 minutes, and I'd take a max of 5 classes per semester, but towards the end of my program I'd only have 1 per semester. For off-campus placements, students are usually at their site all day (6-8 hours) for 3-5 days per week.

Does anyone have an idea of how many hours per week is 2 credit hours of clinic work? 

11 minutes ago, angela4 said:

Does anyone have an idea of how many hours per week is 2 credit hours of clinic work? 

This will vary completely depending on the expectations of your clinic work that semester. If you're seeing clients, I'd say it'll likely be 30-60 min per session of actual treatment, then whatever extra time you need for prep and paperwork. My first semester of clinic, we just learned how to do the paperwork on observed clients and on case studies, so it would just be the lecture + time to complete assignments.

24 minutes ago, angela4 said:

It varies, but for my first 2 quarters, it equated to 4 client appointments per week (two 45-minute sessions per client), with the expectation that my client load will increase for spring quarter. Mine also includes a 50-minute clinic class once a week.

Plus, you'll need time to prep, complete paperwork, and possibly meet with supervisors  (I typically have weekly meetings with mine). 

It's kind of a lot for 2 credits, but it's great experience, and one of the best parts of grad school, in my opinion. :D

Edited by jessie_lee

@junglebae, @jessie_lee Thank you! Sorry, I just have one more question! What kind of guidance do you have from supervisors? Are you kind of on your own and then you meet with them to check in every week? Or do they really help you come up with a plan for each client?

My supervisors usually have me come up with my own plans and goals for clients, although we do discuss some options at the beginning of each quarter. I have to submit lesson plans 24 hours before each session, and they have to get approved. If I'm not sure how to approach something, or need them to model a technique, or just need ideas, I definitely ask!

Also, my supervisors typically observe most of my sessions (via cameras), and then provide me with emailed feedback afterwards. 

It was a little weird for me, at first, to be observed all the time, but now I'm often grateful for the safety net. :)

18 hours ago, jessie_lee said:

My supervisors usually have me come up with my own plans and goals for clients, although we do discuss some options at the beginning of each quarter. I have to submit lesson plans 24 hours before each session, and they have to get approved. If I'm not sure how to approach something, or need them to model a technique, or just need ideas, I definitely ask!

Also, my supervisors typically observe most of my sessions (via cameras), and then provide me with emailed feedback afterwards. 

It was a little weird for me, at first, to be observed all the time, but now I'm often grateful for the safety net. :)

Thanks for the info! I hate being observed, but I've been through it before and it's a necessary evil :(. I'm glad to know that supervisors are there for their students to provide support.

4 hours ago, angela4 said:

Thanks for the info! I hate being observed, but I've been through it before and it's a necessary evil :(. I'm glad to know that supervisors are there for their students to provide support.

I know that at Queens College, the supervisors are right there in the session with you. For me I think I like the supervision via cameras so I don't feel like I'm being micromanaged right in front of the client.

17 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

I know that at Queens College, the supervisors are right there in the session with you. For me I think I like the supervision via cameras so I don't feel like I'm being micromanaged right in front of the client.

It does seem much less intrusive to use a camera.