Georgia Tech vs Virginia Tech ECE PhD

BrianCrafton

So I got into Georgia Tech with a TA and Virginia Tech with some crazy fellowship thing that seems like it guarantees me 2 years at 30k but is renewable and ill get all 6 years funded by it. Georgia Tech seems to have everything besides the funding... better advisor(s) and more closely aligned research goals. What do I do?

9 hours ago, BrianCrafton said:

So I got into Georgia Tech with a TA and Virginia Tech with some crazy fellowship thing that seems like it guarantees me 2 years at 30k but is renewable and ill get all 6 years funded by it. Georgia Tech seems to have everything besides the funding... better advisor(s) and more closely aligned research goals. What do I do?

Graduate school is a job that is supposed to set you up for your next job. Which school gets you where you want to go? Where and what do you want to be working on for the next 4-5 years?

Edited by Entangled Phantoms

So I dont know where either gets me because both are 6 years or whatever. I want to be a faculty member or post doc 6 years from now, but I am 22 years old and cant safely say Ill think the same way in 6 years.

Both of them would probably be fine, it seems Virginia Tech carries a little more prestige then I thought and with the fellowship life would be more comfortable. I also worry about likelyhood of graduation at Georgia Tech.

Edited by BrianCrafton
misread post

My response is a bit biased as I am completing my undergrad at Virginia Tech-- however, Virginia Tech IS one of the top engineering schools in the nation, but as is Georgia Tech. While GT ranks higher, I have seen statistics with VT students receiving higher salaries and quicker job offers. VT also has more engineering options,  With that in mind, I'd suggest comparing some other factors that you might not be thinking of. 

1. Location-- Virginia Tech is located in the middle of nowhere South West Virginia, in a wonderful little town called Blacksburg. Roughly four hours from D.C., two and a half hours from Charlottesville, Va., two hours from Charlotte, N.C., and roughly six hours from Atlanta, Ga. If you're an outdoorsman, VT is for you. There are dozens of hikes close by, many part of the AT. McAfees Knob, Dragon's Tooth, and the Cascades are the most popular. Virginia Tech is also off the New River, a fun place for tubing. Where you decide to settle may help you decide-- they're both on the east coast, but VT is obviously more centrally located.

2. Community-- No other school has a more welcoming sense of community than Virginia Tech. Seriously. 

3. Type of University-- While both are technologic institutes, VT is also a land grant university (thanks Lincoln!) Virginia Tech is beautiful (if you haven't visited, you should!)

4. Cost of living-- Blacksburg is cheap. I've known some people to pay as little as $250 a month for rent, and the more expensive apartments are no more than $750. Beer and doubles are $2 at happy hour. Compare this to Atlanta prices.

5. Size-- Virginia Tech is almost 5,000 students larger than GT. It's also a large campus, but everything is no more than 25 minutes from end to end of campus. There are almost double the amount of graduate students (11k) at GT than at VT (6k), however. VT is more than 2,000 acres, GT is only 370.

6. Food-- VT has been ranked number 1 for dining for multiple years. There are 4 dining halls on campus, with many other food stops. We have food trucks, steak, lobsters, hibachi and sushi, Pizza Hut, Dunkin', Chick-Fil-A, and ABP all on campus (and eligible for half price with a meal plan). Food shouldn't be a huge concern, but if it is, you can't go wrong at VT.

7. Cultural/atmosphere-- Virginia Tech is a big fish in a small pond (Blacksburg), Georgia Tech is a little fish in a big pond (Atlanta). Might be something to think about. While VT is in rural Virginia, all walks of life attend. I would agree that like community, there is a great sense of cultural at VT. Our ROTC program is one of the best, and VT is actually considered a Senior Military Academy. 

8. Sports tradition-- VT is a huge sports school, with football being the main attraction. Though, we did just make it to the basketball championships for the first time in a decade! VT and GT are both in the ACC, and have played each other 14 times in football, with VT leading 9-5, though we did lose to them this past year.

Granted, I am an undergraduate, so your experience may be different, but I know many happy graduate students. I have loved my time here, and I know I made the perfect choice coming here for undergrad!!! I am preparing for graduate school this fall, (between UNC and UMich), and I know both will be vastly different than VT.

I hope this is helpful!

I did my undergrad at Radford so I also know the Radford/Christiansburg/Blacksburg well. I second @Herringk description! I would have to say that if you love cities then Georgia Tech will be better than VT. However, Roanoke, VA is only 40 mins away by car and it has all the city features. One thing is that prepare for snow if you aren't use to it, snow always happens during the winter months in the Blue Ridge Mountains. But if Georgia Tech is better suited for your interests then you should go there.

However, one thing you should keep in mind is the training you will get. Since you are somewhat undecided on your future plans its better to go to a school that offers both academic and industry connections. I think both schools do that. But you should look at the past students' placements. Did they all remain local, national, or international? Basically I don't have much advice sorry! But I don't think you can go wrong with either school.

Yes, I love Roanoke! It's both hip and quaint. A small city, you could say. 

And yes, another thing to consider is weather-- VT can have cold winters with heavy snow, though this past winter was quite mild. We only had a light (2 inches) snowfall in January. The summer can be hot, but no hotter than Georgia!

Like @Need Coffee in an IV said, you really can't go wrong. They're both great schools. I think location and cost would be the deciding factors. 

38 minutes ago, Herringk said:

Yes, I love Roanoke! It's both hip and quaint. A small city, you could say. 

And yes, another thing to consider is weather-- VT can have cold winters with heavy snow, though this past winter was quite mild. We only had a light (2 inches) snowfall in January. The summer can be hot, but no hotter than Georgia!

Like @Need Coffee in an IV said, you really can't go wrong. They're both great schools. I think location and cost would be the deciding factors

If OP wants academia, he/she needs to go to the school with advisors who put our research that is well cited. Unless OP has a rockstar advisor picked out at VT, Georgia Tech is the better bet for academia. Of course, if simply getting a job after graduate is the priority, take the money and go to VT.