NYU MS Data Science F17

VerbalNotMyThing

• 2 weeks later...

This was posted this morning on the apply section of the site.  Anyone have additional information?

Fall 2017 MS and PhD Admissions Update as of April 3, 2017: We are currently reviewing applications for both the MS and PhD in Data Science programs. You will hear from us when a decision is made.

Came here after the post on NYU Data Science Results page: "Hey waitlisters, let's commiserate together in this thread"

Anybody has any idea about the class size, number of offers made and the size of the waitlist? Is there any realistic chance of acceptance after being waitlisted? It's even more confusing since the waitlist is not ranked.

Also, a few posters asked for being referred by someone declining the admit. Does it really work that way?

No, they definitely won't let you refer someone to take your place. That would be incredibly unfair to the rest of the wait list. Class size was 60 last year so should be roughly the same this year. 

I think the wait list isn't ranked because once they have an idea of who is joining they'll try to re-balance based on diversity of candidates. I'm sure there's some clustering of candidates that can help them send the second / nth wave of acceptances.

10 hours ago, dementor said:

Came here after the post on NYU Data Science Results page: "Hey waitlisters, let's commiserate together in this thread"

Anybody has any idea about the class size, number of offers made and the size of the waitlist? Is there any realistic chance of acceptance after being waitlisted? It's even more confusing since the waitlist is not ranked.

Also, a few posters asked for being referred by someone declining the admit. Does it really work that way?

Admitted student here, I dropped by CDS at NYU last week after the decisions went out and talked to a counselor from the program. I asked about the cohort this year and it looks much larger (I heard up to ~100) than last year. Because of this there are chatters that some on the waitlist will be admitted this year, although that may just be pure speculation. I have no idea what the WL size is or how it's ranked.

So, stupid question time... Are they actually notifying people that they're on the waitlist, or is it just that if you haven't been accepted yet then you're on the waitlist?

I applied to their PhD program, but I haven't heard anything from them yet. 

Edited by wlg3

Same boat here, still no response. Initially applied to the PhD program, asked to be considered for the MS if I wasn't accepted to the PhD. If ya hear something let me know!

@wlg3 We were notified by emails. And today they emailed the same again, as some of the candidates had not received any notification.

@sfbae89 Congratulations :) I guess you're going to attend the program? 

I also vaguely remember an increase being mentioned in an admissions seminar on their website. But even then, they might have accepted (say) 1.3x candidates for the same, and waitlisted another 1x (guess this is the standard admissions procedure). Hope these numbers are much smaller in reality than 1.3x and 1x.

Hoping for the best, fingers crossed!

@dementor Thanks! I have not made a decision yet, it's come down to UWashington and NYU at the moment for me. 

Deadline for accepting the offer of admission is May 13th, so if any WLs get offers it will be around that time I'd think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Harshit Srivastava said:

Any updates on NYU DS? Did anyone receive any mails?

Deadline for acceptances was May 13th (just this passing weekend) so it'll probably be a bit longer before they pick people off the wait list.

OMG this is so ridiculous. I emailed them about how soon the decision will be made yesterday but they said there was still no certain timeframe. Completely no idea how much longer I need to wait. This is just so frustrating. 

Yes, I also emailed them regarding this and they have no timeframe. However, they said they'll update everyone when a decision is made, whether acceptance or not. 

Perhaps this is related? It's not from the same website, but I feel the content are connected.

"Fall 2017 MS Admissions Update as of May 2, 2017: MS in Data Science admissions offers and decisions have been sent out. If you are on the waitlist, please do not contact the Center for Data Science. You will hear from us when a final decision has been made. "(http://cds.nyu.edu/apply/)

Does NYU care about applicants' feelings at all? Apparently no.

Edited by coffeeAddictorr

I haven't heard from them ever since eternity. Is there anyone in the waitlist who has received an offer? Do you know any current students at NYU, can we ask them to get some information on the time frames probably?

The wait is just getting unrealistic. 

Guess all their seats have been filled? Otherwise it would not have taken so much time to make a decision. Not hoping for anything anymore.

@andromeda2706 I had checked with them about 15 days back where they said they'll update everyone when a decision is made. And as mentioned here: "You will hear from us when a final decision has been made. (http://cds.nyu.edu/apply/)". So I guess everyone of us will hear back when "the decision is made".

But your other idea to check with NYU students sounds like a good idea, not sure if they'll reveal anything about the waitlist or decisions date, but worth checking.

Edited by dementor
Clarifying a point

Can anyone ask them in person? I keep shooting them emails and emphasizing I am an international student and need to get my documents done, but all I hear is "we don't have a certain time frame for wl". LOL they certainly don't give a damn.