Columbia University Fall 2017

@CappucinnoEnthusiast: Anthropology, PhD.

Does anyone here know if there are any groups/communities based around figuring out housing, rent etc., with respect to NY? I'm an international student, so I won't be in the US until a little before term actually starts, so I was wondering if there was a way to figure this out online, and if so, how advisable that was. And otherwise, if anyone is taking housing provided by Columbia, are there any details on relative cost, availability etc. you would be willing to offer?

Edited by troikaparallel

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:11 AM, troikaparallel said:

Does anyone here know if there are any groups/communities based around figuring out housing, rent etc., with respect to NY? I'm an international student, so I won't be in the US until a little before term actually starts, so I was wondering if there was a way to figure this out online, and if so, how advisable that was. And otherwise, if anyone is taking housing provided by Columbia, are there any details on relative cost, availability etc. you would be willing to offer?

Hello there.

That's a very good question you have there. I can only speak to Engineering - but I know that Columbia provides housing to incoming engineering PhD's.. Through one of their portals, you can indicate your preferred price range and then they will evaluate your profile. Current grad students or advisors/administrators are very helpful and will be able to offer you good advice as well.

NYC is great because of its metro / bus / taxi system - you can get pretty much anywhere relatively quickly. And, of course, prices can vary greatly between the five Burroughs.

On 3/30/2017 at 5:11 AM, troikaparallel said:

@troikaparallel I am currently at Columbia, Teachers College. Columbia's office of Off-Campus Housing Assistance is pretty good. They have a webinar on apartment hunting and provide access to a database of listings. This is also a place where potential students looking for roommates can post. You can call them for additional help too. 

http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/intro-ocha-3

Alternatively, there are links to a number of websites on this page that Columbia University has organized. The websites include rental agencies, sites where individuals advertise their own properties/search for roommates and pages with statistics on average prices/cost of living in different parts of the city. 

https://gs.columbia.edu/apartment-hunting-resources#ocha

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. I'm not sure I can answer them all - personally, I live a little outside of NYC and commute in to save money - but I'm happy to give it a try! Congratulations on your acceptance to Columbia!