part-time vs. full-time

Does anyone have any pros/cons on attending a part-time (3 year) vs. a full-time (2 year) program? I know the most obvious advantage for part-time is being able to continue working, but at the same time I don't make all that much doing what I do now, and choosing the 3-year program would delay moving on to a more lucrative profession. I am slightly leaning toward the 3-year because I like other things about the program, but I'm not sure if adding that extra year is just a waste of time. 

Edited by angela4

I'm with you on starting a more lucrative career sooner. I don't know that any part-time work would be enough to make up for that extra year, if you're just looking at the financial aspects. You could also look into assistantships and work study. The program I am going into allows students to start in the full-time program and if students need to, they can drop down to the part time. They did stress that the part time program still makes it difficult to hold a job, it's just less intense if you are struggling with the full-time program. I would check with the program to see if that's an option, or even ask them about the pros/cons specific to their program. 

Do the two programs have the same classes and peer group, or would you you doing night and weekend classes for the part-time?

One of the nice things about doing a career-changing degree full-time is getting to know a lot of people in the same boat as you.  Also, sometimes recruiters may be more focused on the full-time people, under the assumption that part-timers may just be trying to advance where they are already.

20 hours ago, Alicia124 said:

I'm with you on starting a more lucrative career sooner. I don't know that any part-time work would be enough to make up for that extra year, if you're just looking at the financial aspects. You could also look into assistantships and work study. The program I am going into allows students to start in the full-time program and if students need to, they can drop down to the part time. They did stress that the part time program still makes it difficult to hold a job, it's just less intense if you are struggling with the full-time program. I would check with the program to see if that's an option, or even ask them about the pros/cons specific to their program. 

That's a great idea. Thank you!

19 hours ago, Concordia said:

Do the two programs have the same classes and peer group, or would you you doing night and weekend classes for the part-time?

One of the nice things about doing a career-changing degree full-time is getting to know a lot of people in the same boat as you.  Also, sometimes recruiters may be more focused on the full-time people, under the assumption that part-timers may just be trying to advance where they are already.

The programs are at two different schools. One offers more flexibility but most attend full-time. One is a 3-year cohort model so everyone is in the same group. 

Thanks!!