Applying to MA vs. PhD Programs?

Inez_Only

I'm just looking for clarification... I'm very confused by "direct entry" PhD programs. I've seen a lot of people say that they will be applying to PhD programs after doing their undergrad, but most of the schools I looked at said you can only apply "directly to the PhD program" if you've completed a Masters degree. I only have my undergrad degree and will be applying to MA programs this year but I have full intentions of completing a PhD in clinical psych. If I can apply directly to do a PhD and skip the MA then that would be great! However, I also heard that this only really happens for exceptional students... My CV is stellar but my numbers (GPA/GRE) are not super competitive so in the end I'll probably still need to apply to MA programs anyways. Can someone clarify this for me just so I get a better understanding of it?

Guest joshw4288

The US system is direct entry. Generally, you are enrolled in the PhD program for 5 years and you receive a masters "in route", generally after the second year. As you are from Canada, you are familiar with the Canadian 2 + 4 system. 

14 hours ago, joshw4288 said:

The US system is direct entry. Generally, you are enrolled in the PhD program for 5 years and you receive a masters "in route", generally after the second year. As you are from Canada, you are familiar with the Canadian 2 + 4 system. 

Thank you for or the he clarification! I guess I'm not bypassing the Masters