Average stipend for Materials Science & Engineering

NewDex

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, would anyone know what the average stipend for Materials Science and Engineering PhD positions is? It turns out there's a somewhat large discrepancy between the offers I got. I'm more interested in some options that are paying less than others. I thought I could try to negotiate a better stipend if what they're offering is too much below the national average...

Thanks for the feedback!

I was offered RAships for two of the programs that accepted me and the difference between them is $400/month. Both are much below the national averages on the link you posted, though...

The link just had the average stipend for the University of Pennsylvania. I am not surprised that your offers are below that. I don't know why you are fixated on the "national average."

I don't know how much room you have to negotiate RA offers. The professor making the offer would have to be willing to boost your pay above what some his/her current and more senior students are making.