Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is doing amazing !!

I am sure this is probably not the right time to post my query when everyone seems to be grappled with the admissions. But I just wanted to throw my question in here so that you can just chime in whenever you find some time off from the hectic process and share your thoughts/opinions/suggestions. Anyway, my question pertains to the area international journals of IO psychology. Here it is...

I am currently enrolled in a master's program here in the USA and therefore doing a thesis to partially fulfill the requirements of my master's degree. I will be defending my thesis next week or so and there is a very high likelihood that it would be approved without any recommendation for corrections by the committee. My thesis involves a meta-analysis which investigates the relation between job involvement and job performance in collectivist cultures, non-western societies. Since the thesis is based on the literature from collectivist cultures, it cannot be published in journals from north America. Therefore I am looking for some credible international journals which can publish my research.

Not to mention that I have already googled it but could not find satisfactory results. Therefore, I thought to share my questions with you guys if you could share some insight. You're most welcome to share any kind of resources/thoughts/opinions/suggestions or comment which can aid me narrowing down my search for these journals.

I thank you guys for your help in advance :) have a good one !!

"Since the thesis is based on the literature from collectivist cultures, it cannot be published in journals from north America."

Is this the case? Did someone tell you this? There is a lot of research on collectivism and individualism in all types of journals. I don't think a journal would automatically reject an article about collectivist cultures if the journal was based in North America any more than if it was based in Europe or elsewhere.

Here is a list of top IO journals:

http://www.uh.edu/class/psychology/io-psych/about/about-io-psyc/journals/

I'm sure some of them are not based on North America (like the European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology.

It would also be a good idea to look up whether people have published on this topic in these journals (I believe they have).

Thanks for your response @eternallyephemeral. And yes, I had a word with my supervisor and although he didn't specifically say it but he did say that "this research is publishable in some international journals but I am not sure which journals specifically." But I take your suggestion of going though the list of related articles and see if they are published in journals from North America.

Thanks for the link though, it's very helpful :)

On 4/6/2017 at 3:08 PM, Saman said:

Thanks for your response @eternallyephemeral. And yes, I had a word with my supervisor and although he didn't specifically say it but he did say that "this research is publishable in some international journals but I am not sure which journals specifically." But I take your suggestion of going though the list of related articles and see if they are published in journals from North America.

Thanks for the link though, it's very helpful :)

No problem! I understand if you want to target those journals anyways, you can look at where the people are located that publish in those journals. If they are from top international schools studying these topics, or from top IO schools anywhere, then you are in a good league! It's not always the best metric, but people do consider the impact factor (basically how many times their articles have been cited) as a measure of whether people are writing about the research done in those journals.

Google scholar has some great tools to look for rankings of journals and other metrics.

Yes I have looked into it..I am basically trying to look for journals where the prior research on this particular topic has been published. And as you said earlier, it includes both domestic as well as international journals. Thank you for your input though. It was very helpful :)

I think it may be time to do two things: 

- Look where the literature you are citing in your work was published. Go to those journals and see how often they publish work like yours. Come up with a list. (Or a chosen candidate, if that becomes clear.)

- Go back to your advisor with that list, and talk it through. It's a bit strange that your advisor said they don't know what journal would be a good venue. I would believe that they can't tell you which journal is necessarily the "best" because that might be hard, but they should at least have thoughts about where work like yours is published, if they are advising you. Presumably that should mean that they should have some expertise in the area, and that would include knowing where relevant work is published. Maybe they wanted you to do more of the legwork yourself instead of just giving you the answer, and that's fair. So do it, and go back with the results and have another chat.