Is it realistic considering a PhD with this profile?

Panthera Tigris

Hi everyone,

Just needed an opinion. I am considering applying for a PhD in Computer Engineering here in the US. So I just wanted to ask you if it would be even possible for me to get into a decent enough program with my current profile.

• Masters thesis in Biomedical Image Analysis (Image Processing and Computer Vision)
  • Thesis research resulted in a first author publication at a decent conference
  • Can probably get a good recommendation from thesis advisor
  • Did a separate independent study project under co-advisor that also resulted in news media coverage
  • Multiple other projects under various professors
  • Thesis based masters in Computer Engineering at a mid tier US university (GPA 3.0)
  • Bachelors in ECE from a foreign university (GPA 3.0)
  • GRE 319 (159V, 160Q, 4.5 AWA)
  • Currently work as a software engineer but do not enjoy my work and really want to get back into research before it is too late.

My current research interests are improving performance of imaging, computer vision and machine learning algorithms on high performance computer architecture, GPU computing. That is a fusion of my past research in image processing coupled with computer architecture or high performance / distributed computing / GPU / Grids.

Given my dismal profile, is there a chance that I could get to work with decent enough professors (I'm obviously not aiming for top tier programs with top professors). Or should I give up my PhD dreams ? I would love to hear you guys opinions.

13 minutes ago, Panthera Tigris said:

Hi everyone,

Just needed an opinion. I am considering applying for a PhD in Computer Engineering here in the US. So I just wanted to ask you if it would be even possible for me to get into a decent enough program with my current profile.

• Masters thesis in Biomedical Image Analysis (Image Processing and Computer Vision)
  • Thesis research resulted in a first author publication at a decent conference
  • Can probably get a good recommendation from thesis advisor
  • Did a separate independent study project under co-advisor that also resulted in news media coverage
  • Multiple other projects under various professors
  • Thesis based masters in Computer Engineering at a mid tier US university (GPA 3.0)
  • Bachelors in ECE from a foreign university (GPA 3.0)
  • GRE 319 (159V, 160Q, 4.5 AWA)
  • Currently work as a software engineer but do not enjoy my work and really want to get back into research before it is too late.

My current research interests are improving performance of imaging, computer vision and machine learning algorithms on high performance computer architecture, GPU computing. That is a fusion of my past research in image processing coupled with computer architecture or high performance / distributed computing / GPU / Grids.

Given my dismal profile, is there a chance that I could get to work with decent enough professors (I'm obviously not aiming for top tier programs with top professors). Or should I give up my PhD dreams ? I would love to hear you guys opinions.

You have an unusual enough profile that you should also directly contact programs/professors. I honestly have no clue how schools would view your profile and I doubt many others would either.