Hello!

I'm currently an undergrad living in Texas,  and am in the process of transferring to a 4 year University. I  I came here for advice because I'd like to get my Masters/Undergrad in the same place if possible, and I'd like to transfer somewhere that offers a 5 year MIA program. I understand this does limit my options, especially in Texas, because if I understand correctly the Bush School is the only school that offers a 5 year MIA program in Texas. I'm looking for an accelerated program because I am using the GI Bill, and there are only so many "months" on it that you can use before it is depleted. Therefore, a more condensed program is preferable! 

As the title states, my real question lies between deciding on transferring to American or Tamu. I've gleaned a lot of information from these boards on MIA programs in D.C and how powerful the networking/internships can be, although I'd like to contrast it with the Bush School's reach. Would it really be worth it to move all the way to D.C for the opportunities, if the Bush school could facilitate some solid internships/opportunities as well? I understand that the Bush School is young and is nowhere near the level of SIS yet, but what is their influence like in D.C? I know that just "being there" in D.C would be of huge value for the seminars, networking, etc. Also, if I understand correctly, the D.C schools run a "consortium" in which you can be enrolled at one campus such as AU but take some of your classes at Georgetown or GW for example. This is very attractive.

For what it's worth, I would be pursuing an MIA/NS&D at Tamu, and a MIR with a focus in either GGPS or USFP at AU.

Additional info: 4 years Army experience as an Intelligence Analyst. 5 years total with Reserves. Transferring job to Civil Affairs (Army's diplomatic personnel) in June. Currently learning Spanish. Pursuing ROTC/Commission as (most likely) a Reserve Officer. Current location: College Station. Applied to UT and TCU as well.

Side note: I'd love to go to school in DFW (TCU) but they do not offer a masters and honestly their program is not as good as A&M's. But, I'm older than most undergrads and College Station does not have as much appeal as I'm sure some of you can relate, lol.

I really look forward to your replies! 

David

Edited by dondave
Grammar

I can't really speak for the the Bush School's reach in DC, but one advantage to note with SIS and other schools located in DC is that as the classes are in the evening, most students spend at least some semesters (not just the summer) interning or working at government agencies, consulting firms, or think tanks during the day. Also, at AU you would be getting an MA in International Affairs (not MIR) with a concentration in GGPS or USFP (I'm in USFP). Happy to answer other questions!

Classes in the evening would be a good thing.. although how is the course load there level while working? Getting paid a little to offset the costs would be nice though

-How is the USFP program in general? Do you know how it compares to the GGPS program? 

-Did you do your undergrad at AU? Regardless, how do you like being there in general? What is it like? I've read it's very liberal

-How is living in D.C?

Thanks!

David

The USFP program in general is quite rigorous, with both practical and more theory-based classes. I want to work as a Foreign Service Officer, and there are two former ambassadors in the faculty, plus at least one former public diplomacy officer. One of the ambassadors and the public diplomacy officer helped me immensely with my personal narratives for the State Department after I passed the FSOT.

I like being here in general. If you haven't visited, the SIS building is a really inspirational place to study and take classes. AU is definitely very liberal, although I do know some conservatives. 

DC is great, but EXPENSIVE. But you can always meet people to network, see top government officials speak, go to conferences, etc. It's also just a beautiful city with lots of distractions from grad school.

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2017 at 0:36 AM, dondave said:

Hello!

I'm currently an undergrad living in Texas,  and am in the process of transferring to a 4 year University. I  I came here for advice because I'd like to get my Masters/Undergrad in the same place if possible, and I'd like to transfer somewhere that offers a 5 year MIA program. I understand this does limit my options, especially in Texas, because if I understand correctly the Bush School is the only school that offers a 5 year MIA program in Texas. I'm looking for an accelerated program because I am using the GI Bill, and there are only so many "months" on it that you can use before it is depleted. Therefore, a more condensed program is preferable! 

As the title states, my real question lies between deciding on transferring to American or Tamu. I've gleaned a lot of information from these boards on MIA programs in D.C and how powerful the networking/internships can be, although I'd like to contrast it with the Bush School's reach. Would it really be worth it to move all the way to D.C for the opportunities, if the Bush school could facilitate some solid internships/opportunities as well? I understand that the Bush School is young and is nowhere near the level of SIS yet, but what is their influence like in D.C? I know that just "being there" in D.C would be of huge value for the seminars, networking, etc. Also, if I understand correctly, the D.C schools run a "consortium" in which you can be enrolled at one campus such as AU but take some of your classes at Georgetown or GW for example. This is very attractive.

For what it's worth, I would be pursuing an MIA/NS&D at Tamu, and a MIR with a focus in either GGPS or USFP at AU.

Additional info: 4 years Army experience as an Intelligence Analyst. 5 years total with Reserves. Transferring job to Civil Affairs (Army's diplomatic personnel) in June. Currently learning Spanish. Pursuing ROTC/Commission as (most likely) a Reserve Officer. Current location: College Station. Applied to UT and TCU as well.

Side note: I'd love to go to school in DFW (TCU) but they do not offer a masters and honestly their program is not as good as A&M's. But, I'm older than most undergrads and College Station does not have as much appeal as I'm sure some of you can relate, lol.

I really look forward to your replies! 

David

You've got a PM David

The Bush School is far better than SIS and focuses on security vs development at American. The fact that you're a veteran with a clearance makes this even easier: Texas wins hands down.

Assuming to want to stick with intelligence/national security type work, I have to agree with went_away. Texas A&M is very well known for national security studies. And while SIS is in DC, it is more known for humanitarian assistance, international development, non-profits, aid agency work.