advices needed PhD vs. another Master

Gillian1324

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for your reply!

I am completing my M.A in higher education administration right now. My current program has very little research or statistical analysis related coursework. I Personally, I have developed strong interest in policy analysis in the process. I want to apply for another EdM in education statistics or a PhD in education policy. Some of my instructors advice me not to pursue another master degree, but I do not feel confident to apply for a PhD due to my lack of statistical training. And my work experience is not policy oriented neither. I am currently working as a part-time career coach for international students, and I am also an international applicant. My capstone project topics are career coaching international students and academic advising first-year international students, which are not related to policy. I am certain that I want to learn more about education policy, just do not know if I should apply for a PhD or EdM. 

Often, masters funding is hard to come by, whereas PhDs have a greater chance of providing funding. I wonder if this is part of your instructors' advice. 

What are the profiles of the students going into the programs you want? Do they have master's degrees with significant statistical backgrounds? You might consider reaching out to students in those programs too.

If you're looking to get more research/stats experience, I'd consider taking courses for non-credit if you're hesitant to pursue a PhD. It'd strengthen your application down the line. Alternatively, depending on the doc programs you're interested in, some combine their masters and doc students for certain research methods courses and/or offer additional courses in the areas specified for those interested in expanding their skill-set.

As a personal note, I'm entering a doc program in the fall and have not completed any research/stats course since I was in my master's program YEARS ago. I even shared that as my worry about returning to school in my interviews, and the faculty never seem phased at all that I didn't feel prepared in this area. I don't know if this helps at all, but don't let one area hold you back from pursuing a degree/passion. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2017 at 11:59 AM, forgetful26 said:

I'd be curious to know what arguments your advisors have brought forward to tell you not to pursue another master's. Do you mind sharing, please? 

Their arguments are:

1. Waste of money, because master's programs usually cost a lot of money. 

2. Future employers may not think highly of my second master's degree. Her argument is second master's degree cannot substitute working experience. 

3. In my case, she assumes that getting another master's degree is a way for me to avoid tough job searching due to my visa status. 

4. Overall, some of my instructors believe a doctoral degree is a more sensible choice. 

On 3/31/2017 at 5:18 PM, Levon3 said:

Often, masters funding is hard to come by, whereas PhDs have a greater chance of providing funding. I wonder if this is part of your instructors' advice. 

What are the profiles of the students going into the programs you want? Do they have master's degrees with significant statistical backgrounds? You might consider reaching out to students in those programs too.

Thanks for your reply. It is a great idea to reach out student in programs that I am interested in. I am suck at math, so I am afraid my previous academic experience cannot help. 

On 4/1/2017 at 0:50 AM, emilb34 said:

If you're looking to get more research/stats experience, I'd consider taking courses for non-credit if you're hesitant to pursue a PhD. It'd strengthen your application down the line. Alternatively, depending on the doc programs you're interested in, some combine their masters and doc students for certain research methods courses and/or offer additional courses in the areas specified for those interested in expanding their skill-set.

As a personal note, I'm entering a doc program in the fall and have not completed any research/stats course since I was in my master's program YEARS ago. I even shared that as my worry about returning to school in my interviews, and the faculty never seem phased at all that I didn't feel prepared in this area. I don't know if this helps at all, but don't let one area hold you back from pursuing a degree/passion. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. My instructors also recommend me to take research courses or to attend a certificate program. It is no longer an option, due to my complicated visa status. After a careful consideration, I am trying to find a research related intern to expand my skill-set right now, after that, I will apply for fall18 PhD degree.