Masters in Comp. Ling, Fall 2017?!

linguist

Hey Fall 2017 applicants for Computational Linguistics!

How's everyone doing? Have you heard from the schools you applied?

Is anyone still waiting to hear from University of Washington, Brandeis University or University of Rochester?

Brandeis University emailed me saying they want to interview me about 2 weeks ago, but I still haven't heard anything about the appointment for the interview. I saw some people accepted to Brandeis University's Comp. Ling program in mid March. I hope this is not a sign for rejection..

Edited by linguist

Hey, I applied to each of those!

I just got my decision from UW about an hour ago (waitlisted).

Earlier this week I was admitted to Brandeis. They seem to be sending decisions throughout the month, so I wouldn't lose hope just yet.

Now I'm still waiting for a decision from Rochester...

Hey! I got into Brandeis and got waitlisted at UW. I also got into Syracuse and Colorado Boulder (for their new CLASIC program). Brandeis is still sending out decisions, so you should wait!

Any other Brandeis applicants out there? Does anyone have any idea what the costs and opportunities for assistantships are like?

Edited by gulabjamun

I got my decision from UW yesterday too.

Whoa, so many people got waitlisted from UW. I wish they just send out rejection emails to people rather than putting them on the waitlist. I need to turn down other schools soon, so I will ask UW where on the waitlist I am. 

15 hours ago, gulabjamun said:

Hey! I got into Brandeis and got waitlisted at UW. I also got into Syracuse and Colorado Boulder (for their new CLASIC program). Brandeis is still sending out decisions, so you should wait!

Any other Brandeis applicants out there? Does anyone have any idea what the costs and opportunities for assistantships are like?

I got accepted to University of Arizona, Syracuse University (scholarship), and University of Colorado. I will probably turn down UA first. How do you all make a decision? This is so hard for me.

17 hours ago, murasaki said:

Hey, I applied to each of those!

I just got my decision from UW about an hour ago (waitlisted).

Earlier this week I was admitted to Brandeis. They seem to be sending decisions throughout the month, so I wouldn't lose hope just yet.

Now I'm still waiting for a decision from Rochester...

When did you apply to Rochester? I submitted my application on March 1st. Could this be a reason why admission decision is taking so slow?

If anyone hasn't yet heard from Brandeis or has been waitlisted, I was accepted and will likely decline the offer. I just declined an offer from CUNY as well as they said they had many applicants on the waitlist. 

Edit: I also was not interviewed for either of these programs. 

Edited by gdala

On 4/1/2017 at 11:45 AM, scabbers said:

Waitlisted last night to UW, but not too surprised. Accepted to Edinburgh and waiting on Saarland. 

Anyone else headed to Scotland??

I got an acceptance from Saarland today. 

18 hours ago, zihei said:

I got an acceptance from Saarland today. 

Same! For the MS in Language Science and Tech.? The program looks interesting-- I really don't know much besides what's on the website though. I'll probably end up at Edinburgh but I need to research more. I'm curious about the differences w/ US vs UK vs German programs. 

@murasaki Brandeis asked me to do Skype interview tomorrow but I'm more leaning toward to U of R since Brandeis has been terrible at communicating.. Idk How are you going to make a decision? As I compared the two programs, Brandeis has more practical and specifically opt to CL class such as Machine Translation, Natural Language Annotation for Machine Learning, or two separate classes for Information Retrieval and Information Extraction, whereas U of Rochester has typical NLP classes from CS such as Data Mining. But at the same time, I feel like I can build more solid background in CS if I take classes in U of R..? Please correct me if my feelings are wrong!

Are you still waiting for UW though? I contacted one person at UW's CLMS program yesterday, and she said the deadline for admitted students to notify UW is April 30th, and UW Linguistics department didn't even ranked people on waitlist, so there is no way for me to find out what my chances to get in would be until May.

U of R said they admitted 9 students for their MS program in CL. Congrats those who are among these 9 students!

I declined my admission to Brandeis - hopefully someone will get my spot :)

@linguist From the research I've done on both programs, I get the same kind of feelings from them. One reason I chose Rochester over Brandeis was because it seems like I could get a better CS foundation there. A big deciding factor for me though was the cost of living in Rochester vs the Boston area.

Since Rochester's decision deadline isn't until May 10, I'm probably going to wait through April and see if I get accepted off UW's waitlist.

@murasaki: I have the same situation as yours. Do you know what are the job opportunities for CL students after graduating from the program? I'm asking for both Rochester and Washington. I couldn't find any alumni page for graduated students. I literally have no idea of the scope of this program after graduation. I applied because the subject really interests me and I want to gain expertise in computational linguistics. 

Any help would be appreciated.

@SidVash Rochester's MS in CL is a pretty new program (this is their second year). So they probably don't have any graduated students yet from the program.

I'm currently an undergrad student at UW. Among Linguistics undergraduates, it's being said that UW's CLMS program accepts quite a few people who's already working for Microsoft in Seattle. So looking at the job placement of UW's CLMS alumni might be a little bit biased. But don't just buy all of my words, maybe it's a rumor.. (Or maybe not?)

@linguist @sidvash26 @murasaki

Yes U of R Com Ling is a new program(they now offer three MA/MS programs, general linguistics, language documentation and computational linguistics). 

As far as I know, they currently have one MA student in this CL program.

Also, although it's a joint program, the linguistics department is the "host"/"home"  department. So, it's more linguistics directed.. I think.

FYI.

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted my application to Brandeis before the 2/15 deadline and I haven't heard back. Since many people have already received their acceptance email, I wonder what this indicates. Does this mean I am rejected for sure? I emailed the office, and they told me they definitely send results to all applicants and told me to wait. 

I withdrew my application from Brandeis University since things in Brandeis seemed disorganized to me. Their CS program coordinator came back to me 10 days after I emailed her, and it took a month for me to be in contact with the professor who wanted to interview me in March. Not sure if this happens because their MA CL program is hosted by two departments (Computer Science and Linguistics).

@sunnykingdom Why don't you call their office and ask them to re-send the admission result to you?

On 5/1/2017 at 7:51 AM, sidvash26 said:

Wait-listed students at Washington: Did anyone get a response from the Univ. yet? It's 1st May already!

Nothing. I have already accepted that I won't be Seattle bound this fall.

On 5/1/2017 at 4:51 AM, sidvash26 said:

Wait-listed students at Washington: Did anyone get a response from the Univ. yet? It's 1st May already!

Nothing here either. I put down a deposit at U of R today. I don't even know whether I am still waiting to get off from the waitlist at UW.

• 2 weeks later...

@linguist: No response from UW yet. I have decided to join U of Rochester. Are you also joining U of R then? I don't know anyone from my department. Would love to talk to my depmates. Let me know if you have taken your final decision :)