Hello!

I am currently starting my search regarding mid-level to top tier sociology programs with an emphasis in immigration.  I am originally from the U.S. but am currently finishing an M.A. in sociology from a university in Mexico, and would prefer to begin a program that picks up where I left off (rather than having to redo all of the M.A. level class work).  From what I can tell, European and other international programs are better suited for this, rather than most U.S. programs that tend to not differentiate between Masters students and undergrad applicants.  I would ideally love to base my research project out of Oaxaca, Mexico, although I´m open to spending the first year abroad to meet requirements.  Any suggestions?  I am currently looking into Oxford´s new part-time sociology program.

I would love to hear any tips/ideas for narrowing down my search.  Thanks!

If you're exactly sure what you want to do your research on and are ready to write and commit to your proposal, the European way would be suitable. However by having to write your proposal and apply, reaching out to suitable supervisors ASAP who will help you in the application process is suggestible. I would recommend you only look at universities that are well recognized as they would have more funding. From my impression, funding is MUCH worse in Europe and in some places harder to live on. 

US universities will waive SOME of the classes and the thesis, but yes you'll still need to take the majority of the classes, at least the entire first year. Depending on the program you usually have the second or third year waved. 

Cant think of anything else, but verify they would have money for travel to the field site before you apply.

I would apply to several programs both in the U.S. and elsewhere and make your decision once you have more details about the actual opportunities offered to you than theoretical ones. I say this because I have worried so much about certain programs, and in the end it didn't matter because I wasn't accepted or was accepted to much better places.