What are the best MA programs for political science?

If you go off the rankings, I would guess that the best programs are the top PhD programs that offer a terminal Masters (Duke, Columbia, UChicago). In terms of other schools, you can always look at MA programs placement records, see how many people ended up in PhD or top programs. Not knowing anything about your situation, I'd have no idea where to start to look. But MA programs vary a lot. Some are really good at preparing students for PhDs or the CC job market, others might exist more for the sake of the University than the students. Ultimately though, I think it's what you make of the program. Try to do some research there. Conference presentations or publications will really help you out, if your ultimate goal is a PhD.

Don't go to one where the MA students take different classes than the Ph.D. students.

Honestly, some of the best options are different fields. Economics MA or Statistics for the methods. Area studies at a top school if you do comparative, because there is funding for these types of programs.

Edited by Comparativist

• 2 weeks later...

If you do a little digging, you'll find some good advice from past years on how to approach the popular, top-tier MA programs. I have no experience with those schools, but the major concerns seemed to be over-crowding and the lack of time or resources to really distinguish oneself. In addition, the policy focus of the terminal students tends to undermine a culture that supports a long-term investment in the PhD skill set.

I'd like to plug smaller programs. When I became curious about social issues addressed in academic political science, I had no political science background and was almost a decade into a mostly unrelated professional career. I was rejected at every PhD program to which I applied, but happened to also apply for an MA at Marquette University (I think based on anonymous discussion board advice). I was accepted and offered a large scholarship with a stipend.

My file was probably rejected everywhere the first time because I lacked any social science training, didn't write a personal statement that made much sense in the academic language, and could offer no credible signal of my dedication to the field. Marquette's program helped me solve a lot of those issues. I focused on developing a theoretical understanding, getting strong letters of recommendation, and demonstrating my passion (read: I ignored the shit out of methods because that stuff was scary). I ended up getting a few acceptances to top schools after I finished.

Your MA decision should be tailored to address weaknesses in your current PhD application. If your weaknesses look at all like mine, consider a smaller program where you'll be focus of the faculty attention, and where you have time to develop relationships, skills, and perspective. Marquette was a home run for me, and I still feel very strongly about that program, but look more deeply at places that might fit well for you.

Edit: Note that Comparativist's advice to look outside the box addresses different potential areas for improvement. There are good reasons you might want to focus on method or area expertise, depending upon what you want to do in your PhD and what skills or signals your application might lack now.

Edited by GopherGrad