Visual anthropology in USC or Cinema Studies in NYU?

Chong0318

I have to make a decision between two programs: Master of Visual Anthropology in USC and Cinema Studies in Culture and Media at NYU. The first is a one-year program and based in Anthropology department to make ethnography movies, whereas the NYU's is a two-year program and more focusing on filming (the program is cooperated with anthropology department and have many courses in anthropology field)

I am interested in the crossing field of documentary filming and anthropology. After getting the master degree, I will seek a job in the USA in the related industry to gain experience to make documentary films.

Now I am more intended to USC because it is a one-year program which means the less financial burden on me ( both two programs has no any financial support so far ) and its courses' design seems very practical. NYU’s program has to learn three courses about film theories which I am not interested in so much. Actually, I need both anthropology theories study and documentary filming skills ( not cinema theories).

I also heard people say that "studying the independent and art films go New York and Commercial films go LA".  In my case, how should I choose? Anyone has experience in related field and can give some comments in this two schools or cities?

Thanks!

Edited by Chong0318