MBA/MA in Education

Hello,

I am currently considering applying to a handful of MBA/MA programs, and I was wondering if anyone else has knowledge of these kinds of programs, or if they are currently enrolled in one, particularly with regards to the field of education. If so, please let me know - I'd love to hear about your experiences! 

I'm also mulling over entering an MA program directly and applying to an MBA program after accepting an offer of admission from the school of education. Again, if there are any students with that kind of interdisciplinary interest or experience, please let me know! Thank you!

There was another poster here who did the MBA/MA combo. If I recall correctly,U

Michigan is well regarded for MA Education and MBA at Ross B-School. I would recommend to apply for the joint MBA/MA at the same time.

UVA: MBA/MEd Innovation in Education Refrom

Stanford MBA/MEd. The MBA is very selective

The MBA has lower acceptance rate and you want to have your funding sorted before enrollment. Most US B-Schools accept GRE, but quant requirement/average for MBA tends to be higher.

Good luck.

Thank you - I've already looked into all of those programs and am considering those options, but have essentially ruled out UVA due to its location (spouse's needs preclude my ability to pick up and move everywhere). I definitely need to look into more funding because that is the one area I haven't researched thoroughly. I will try to look for the previous post in the meantime, and keep contacting schools to weigh potential options.

These are national programs. I am sure there are other solid MBA/MEd joint programs at state or regional unis.

Stanford GSB MBA acceptance is the most selective among all B-Schools at 7%.

Michigan Ross MBA is less selective at 34% acceptance rate. In previous years it was even 40%.

• 1 month later...

The MBA/MA in education is popular for people who specifically want to enter the business of education: usually, this can take a few forms. Some of my Harvard Business School classmates who focused in education are now:

• Running "Innovation" for a major public school system
  • Have a consulting firm that provides business consulting services to charter schools
  • Creating "EdTech" startups (that's me!) 

The thing is, if you already have a strong background in education, you may not need the MA in education to achieve those goals. As far as I know, the two other people in my list above had done the MA in education, but I do believe they had worked extensively in education before b-school. 

It depends upon what you want to be doing. If you want to be teaching, the MBA probably isn't necessary, and if you want to open an education-related business, you might already have that experience elsewhere. 

Re; applying to the MA in education first and THEN trying to get into the MBA -- do check carefully with the individual schools you're targeting. As another poster mentioned, some programs require applying to BOTH simultaneously. 

On 5/22/2017 at 8:46 AM, ApplicantLab.com said:

The MBA/MA in education is popular for people who specifically want to enter the business of education: usually, this can take a few forms. Some of my Harvard Business School classmates who focused in education are now:

• Running "Innovation" for a major public school system
  • Have a consulting firm that provides business consulting services to charter schools
  • Creating "EdTech" startups (that's me!) 

The thing is, if you already have a strong background in education, you may not need the MA in education to achieve those goals. As far as I know, the two other people in my list above had done the MA in education, but I do believe they had worked extensively in education before b-school. 

It depends upon what you want to be doing. If you want to be teaching, the MBA probably isn't necessary, and if you want to open an education-related business, you might already have that experience elsewhere. 

Re; applying to the MA in education first and THEN trying to get into the MBA -- do check carefully with the individual schools you're targeting. As another poster mentioned, some programs require applying to BOTH simultaneously. 

Thank you, I've actually spoken to several programs and was just wondering if anyone on these boards might share their experiences. I'm pretty set with my path, and I do have quite a bit of experience in education but have absolutely no interest in teaching, which is why I have carefully selected my MA program in education 

I'm also fairly set on business school, though likely not planning on enrolling in both programs simultaneously because I am not sure that is the best path for me. Thanks for your response though!