Do I have a chance of gaining acceptance into these programs?

Hello, 

I am an undergraduate student in Canada and am planning on applying to UK graduate programs in International Relations in Fall (September) 2017. I wanted to ask what programs have the greatest prestige, best opportunities for careers in academia, careers in policy, and foreign service that I could receive entry into. I finished my third year with a CGPA of 3.78/4.00, have experience working in the Canadian embassy in D.C as a Trade Policy intern, worked in a Fortune 500 company, President of my university's Pre-Law Society, and was a Poli Sci instructional assistant at my university. I also have 3 solid reference letters. 

My top programs are: 

1. The London School of Economics & Political Science - International Relations

2. University of Oxford - International Relations

3. University of Cambridge - International Relations

4. Kings College London - International Relations (War Studies Department)

5. University of Edinburgh - International Relations

"Best opportunities for careers in academia, careers in policy, and foreign service that I could receive entry into."

Completely different things. What exactly are your goals? Why do you want to do programs in IR? What are you hoping to achieve?

That being said, generally these types of master's programs are not that difficult to get into.

I would note that Oxford's MsC in IR is significantly more difficult to get into than the other programs that you listed, and apparently among the most prestigious master's programs in political science. Aside from that, I'm not sure why you would be interested in a UK master's program when you have many good (and funded) options in Canada - it's often said that paying out of pocket for a non-professional master's is a really poor investment. Unless one of the programs that you listed has a clear pipeline to a public/private sector career that you are interested in, I would stay away.

1 hour ago, dagnabbit said:

I would note that Oxford's MsC in IR is significantly more difficult to get into than the other programs that you listed, and apparently among the most prestigious master's programs in political science. Aside from that, I'm not sure why you would be interested in a UK master's program when you have many good (and funded) options in Canada - it's often said that paying out of pocket for a non-professional master's is a really poor investment. Unless one of the programs that you listed has a clear pipeline to a public/private sector career that you are interested in, I would stay away.

I would give reputation but I'm capped at 5 a day. :(

@Nickman20 I'm also a Canadian undergrad and was recently accepted to the MSc Global Governance and Diplomacy (a taught degree in the IR field). I think that a big part of being competitive is your work experience and research interests. I'm doing my undergrad thesis in a topic similar to one being undertaken by the department to which I was accepted, and I applied with a clear statement of what I want to research at the masters level and why it is best suited to the program. Simply wanting to go to the most prestigious program will likely not be enough for admission. I also have several years of political experience that I used to my advantage because it explains my background and interest in the research I would like to undertake. In that regard you can use that experiences in the workplace and abroad to your advantage. One place you might struggle with (for Oxford at least) is the GPA requirement - I have a 4.0 and am required to maintain at least a 3.8 GPA after graduation to keep my offer. 

Hope this helps!

@Comparativist Apologies. As I just finished my third year I personally do not think it is wise to know exactly what I want to do, but I definitely have a track that I am currently anticipating. My goal is to finish a MSc in International Relations and begin working in Her Majesty's Foreign Service (I am duel British/Canadian). I have lived in five countries and have always dreamed of working as a policy officer/diplomat.  As a side note--if I am accepted on to the MPhil at either Oxford/Cambridge my research proposal will consist of diaspora politics and trends in political economy of Saharan states (very general). After gaining practical experience I plan on applying for a PhD. This is why I ask for all of the following. I hope that makes a little more sense :)  

@dagnabbit I am duel Canadian/British so a PhD in the UK can come with public funding. I am hoping to receive MSc funding and have been researching extensively on what can be afforded to Non-home students. My reasons for moving to the UK are personal: life-style and to be closer to family. Cheers :) 

@YYCapplicant Wow! Is that 4.0/4.0 G.P.A or 4.0/4.3 G.P.A (hello Queens student)? 4.0/4.3 would actually be lower then a 3.78/4.00 fyi. I just want to make sure that you are citing your GPA out of 4.0 not 4.3. This will give me a better idea where I personally stand. Also, congratulations on being accepted to the program! That is an incredible achievement. What are your goals post-MSc? I actually know someone whom was on that program and is now doing his PhD at Blavatnik School of Government! Cheers :) 

The one thing to bear in mind is that if your preference is to do a PhD, and you intend to apply to US programs after completing your MPhil, you might have a rough go of things. Top US PhD programs don't like that the Oxbridge system doesn't teach any (if at all) formal or statistical methods, especially in the applied sense. This isn't to say it's impossible, but you might find it a sharp adjustment to your research, with the requirement that you pick up a lot of math that Oxbridge won't require you to even glance at.

If your long term goal is to work in public service, an MPhil will likely suffice. You might want to look into MPA or MPP programs as well. Certain Canadian universities are well connected to many of the programs you applied in the sense that graduates from McGill, for instance, don't tend to have issues getting into LSE or Oxford. 

@CarefreeWritingsontheWall McGill and Oxford go hand-in-hand. Particularly on there MPhil International Politics course (they take in 1-2 every year and have there own scholarship within Hughes Hall !!!!). I am happy with my overall marks (most likely finish undergrad with 3.8+) but looking on LinkedIn and GPAs of 2016/2017 MPhil Oxbridge students I am simply no match (3.91 - 3.96 and co-curricular as good or better than mine). I have made it my goal to receive entry into the LSE MSc IR Politics Department and KCL's MSc IR in War Studies Department. I do not attend McGill, however, there is a track-record of 3-5 students from 2014-2017 from my undergrad program receiving entry into those aforementioned schools. One of my professors begged me to apply to his alma-matter, St. Andrews, but I heard that there Graduate IR program is not up to par.  

It is my ultimate goal to a receive a PhD, however, I know for a fact that I will be doing that in the United Kingdom and not in US/Canada. In the UK I am planning on receiving my MSc, working in some capacity for 1-2 years, and then applying to PhD programs (I will be able to pay home-fees by then). 

I have looked at MPA and MPP programs (hint: I go to school near Balsillie) but they are of no interest to me. My interests stem from dynamics of IR, not public policy degrees. In regards to statistics, all of the UK schools (MSc/MA) have for-credit modules on quantitative and qualitative research methods during the year. They are optional, but is understood to be imperative if you wish to pursue a PhD. 

In summary, dream path would be: 

LSE or KCL, MSc International Relations (9 months) 

Research officer/assistant (12 months)

LSE/KCL/Oxbridge, PhD, Politics (3-4 years)

21 hours ago, Nickman20 said:

@CarefreeWritingsontheWall McGill and Oxford go hand-in-hand. Particularly on there MPhil International Politics course (they take in 1-2 every year and have there own scholarship within Hughes Hall !!!!). I am happy with my overall marks (most likely finish undergrad with 3.8+) but looking on LinkedIn and GPAs of 2016/2017 MPhil Oxbridge students I am simply no match (3.91 - 3.96 and co-curricular as good or better than mine). I have made it my goal to receive entry into the LSE MSc IR Politics Department and KCL's MSc IR in War Studies Department. I do not attend McGill, however, there is a track-record of 3-5 students from 2014-2017 from my undergrad program receiving entry into those aforementioned schools. One of my professors begged me to apply to his alma-matter, St. Andrews, but I heard that there Graduate IR program is not up to par.  

It is my ultimate goal to a receive a PhD, however, I know for a fact that I will be doing that in the United Kingdom and not in US/Canada. In the UK I am planning on receiving my MSc, working in some capacity for 1-2 years, and then applying to PhD programs (I will be able to pay home-fees by then). 

I have looked at MPA and MPP programs (hint: I go to school near Balsillie) but they are of no interest to me. My interests stem from dynamics of IR, not public policy degrees. In regards to statistics, all of the UK schools (MSc/MA) have for-credit modules on quantitative and qualitative research methods during the year. They are optional, but is understood to be imperative if you wish to pursue a PhD. 

In summary, dream path would be: 

LSE or KCL, MSc International Relations (9 months) 

Research officer/assistant (12 months)

LSE/KCL/Oxbridge, PhD, Politics (3-4 years)

It sounds like you have your preferred trajectory worked out. Key now is to secure the relationships for good LORs and pull up your GPA as much as you can. MPPs are different but are certainly more practical when it comes to securing a job in public service. They'll give you the tools for policy memos, as well as networking. I wouldn't immediately shy away from them if you want to secure a job in government (UK or elsewhere). Be wary of what quantitative methods modules are at Oxbridge and LSE: most will give you the intuition or logic of statistics, but require very little by way of formal applications. I know many people who took "statistics" but never had to code a single thing...a far cry from the methods that make you marketable in the public section, or even the private. Not having done a thesis or independent research might be a hit to your record for a more academic oriented path. But these are just my opinions. I thought I wanted to go into policy myself, but I was very invested in the academic side - so much so, MPP programs rejected me because I had no external work experience upon applications because all my experience was in research, not policy so I landed in MA/PhD programs well. I think your case is a bit of the reverse. MPPs like the Balsillie school are good, but don't necessarily compare to policy programs in the US in terms of rigour or networking opportunities. That said, an MPP/MPA can be a bit more like an MBA in terms of value added. They also don't tend to take people straight out of undergrad.

Hi,

Wondering about my chances of acceptance into these programs (honestly):

1. Tufts Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy (MA in Law and Diplomacy)

2. JHU SAIS (MA in International Affairs).

3. Georgetown Walsh School of Foreign Service (MSFS).

4. GWU Elliott School (MA in International Affairs).

5. American SIS (MA in International Relations).

College GPA: 3.6 GPA, started at top 10 liberal arts college, finished at top 50 liberal arts college (didn't transfer because of academic difficulty but second school had better programs I wanted in both my majors). Majors: International Relations and Music. Minors: French and History.

GRE: Taking in September. Very strong indicators in verbal and writing so far, math should be strong but need to bring up to same high percentage.

Work experience: 1 internship in international marketing, 1.5 years marketing assistant for concert series w/international focus, 1 Hill internship for congressman focusing on foreign policy research and writing, 1 NGO internship in microfinance in International business Development, 1 internship with DC think tank helping write book on Chinese and Russian military buildup, 8 months experience as research assistant in both French and Spanish (one focusing on music history research, the other on Latin American foreign policy research). Current job: 8 months and counting at a law firm as a legal assistant. All in all I will enter grad school with around 3.5 years professional experience (possibly more depending on how much my relevant jobs during school years count). 

Extracurriculars: President and Co-Founder of international business and politics society, Chair of Campus Executive Council for top 10 think tank, Competitor on both BP and NPDA Circuits on Debate Team and Research Captain (won numerous honors), Co-Founder of Undergraduate Law Review, Pi Sigma Alpha Poli Sci. honors society, Phi Alpha Theta History Honors Society. Did summer honors programs in NYC, Boston, and DC.public policy, international affairs, and entrepreneurship.

Publications: Write semi-regularly for nonprofits in the area of Middle East religious freedom, but for their blogs. I also wrote an article in the Washington Post once but haven't really contributed to any scholarly journals. :( 

Languages: Full professional working proficiency in French (14+ years), 6+ years conversational proficiency in Spanish, 1 year Mandarin, 3 years Arabic (that was high school, forgot a lot of it). Spanish and French are the ones I really keep up, and I am trying to learn German now and it is going well.

Volunteer experience: ESL Tutor for refugees through top NGO, Translator for International Music Education Organization, business skills teaching assistant for organization combatting homelessness and drug addiction in urban area, volunteer on a couple of mission trips to Central America and Eastern Europe. Longtime musician (violinist and pianist), have performed in many outreach settings nationally and internationally. 

Study abroad experience: 2 week study program in France in music and French after high school graduation, summer program in southern France (language immersion and history/culture of France), 4 week fully funded fellowship studying Middle East and traveling to Poland, Jordan, Israel, and Palestine, one semester fellowship/study abroad at Oxford after graduation studying political economy and philosophy. I've traveled a lot so I'm hoping to do overseas study for grad school and possibly PhD later.

Trajectory: Hoping to work in public service with an international focus, then start my own nonprofit focusing on conflict mediation and education in the MENA region. Would like to teach part time at a university as well. Definitely interested in going on to PhD later.

Edited by irmaestro2020

On 4/15/2017 at 7:10 PM, irmaestro2020 said:

Hi,

Wondering about my chances of acceptance into these programs (honestly)...

As you're applying to public policy programs, you should post this in the government affairs sub-forum (http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/11-government-affairs/). 

On 06/04/2017 at 7:04 PM, Nickman20 said:

Hello, 

I am an undergraduate student in Canada and am planning on applying to UK graduate programs in International Relations in Fall (September) 2017. I wanted to ask what programs have the greatest prestige, best opportunities for careers in academia, careers in policy, and foreign service that I could receive entry into. I finished my third year with a CGPA of 3.78/4.00, have experience working in the Canadian embassy in D.C as a Trade Policy intern, worked in a Fortune 500 company, President of my university's Pre-Law Society, and was a Poli Sci instructional assistant at my university. I also have 3 solid reference letters. 

My top programs are: 

1. The London School of Economics & Political Science - International Relations

2. University of Oxford - International Relations

3. University of Cambridge - International Relations

4. Kings College London - International Relations (War Studies Department)

5. University of Edinburgh - International Relations

I think you have a very good shot at all of them.

From the UK perpective. Obviosly Oxford and Cambridge are in a league of their own. LSE is the next best academically but it's famously bad for extra-curricular, sport and social life. Edinburgh is a great all round university. KCL has an inflated international reputation but it's not seen as a very good university dometically (it only ranks 21st).

I'm guessing these are the top 5 UK unis occoring to Global rankings?? Have you consided St. Andrews or Durham? They have better domestic reputations than LSE, Endiburgh or KCL. SOAS is well known for IR too. 

So yeah domestic reputation wise: Oxford, Cambridge,... (big gap)... Durham, St Andrews, LSE,... (small gap)... Edinburgh, SOAS... (big gap)... KCL

Thank you @StudentGA I will keep that in mind when I am applying. I am staggering my applications as well: Cambridge, LSE, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Durham from September - November. After January (if not accepted to 1st or 2nd choice) I will be applying to SOAS and KCL. 

Edited by Nickman20