Fall 2010 Admitted/Rejected Thread

agh423

Program Applied To: MIA/MPA

Schools Applied To: Columbia SIPA, NYU Wagner, Fordham IPED, Monterey Institute of International Studies, American University, George Washington University, Georgetown University, Johns Hopkins SAIS

Schools Admitted To: Columbia SIPA, NYU Wagner, Monterey Institute of International Studies, George Washington University, American University

Schools Rejected From: Fordham University, Johns Hopkins SAIS, Georgetown University

Undergraduate institution: City University of New York

Undergraduate GPA: 3.584

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.5

Undergraduate Major: Political Science and French (double major)

GRE Quantitative Score: 500

GRE Verbal Score: 580

GRE AW Score: 4.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2.5 years

Years of Work Experience: 3

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 27 Months Peace Corps service (NGO Development), Congressional Internship, State Department Internship, Administrative Assistant at Middle East Cultural Center, various volunteer work

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Fairly strong SOP and rather personal (got a lot of positive feedback). Wrote about childhood ambitions, Peace Corps, extensive travels, learning five languages, grad school research objectives, and long-term career goals.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): I assume they were very strong. My undergraduate professor wrote one (has PhD), plus a supervisor in the academic world (PhD as well), plus my APCD from Peace Corps.

Other: Never underestimate yourself! I was terrified that I would be rejected from all my schools, but I got into my dream school, plus four other excellent programs, PLUS got a prestigious fellowship to pay for it all! At the time, I looked back at previous posts in this forum and decided to give myself a shot at my dreams after assessing that many of these programs take a holistic approach to their application process. Focus on your strengths--I emphasized my languages for instance. Be specific about your goals, and try and weave your SOP together like an inspiring memoir! Attend informational sessions--you may end up having a one-on-one meeting with the director of admissions! It may be an exhausting six months, but trust me, it’s well worth it in the end!cool.gif

Edited by Nesotte

I notice that many are getting rejected from GSPP Berkeley from people who have fairly brag-worthy applications such as yours. Does anyone know exactly what then, this program is looking for?

I've read previously that the program seeks diversity but I'm also interested to find out if there's something the program is NOT looking for as well as what they are looking for.

Program Applied To: MPP

Schools Applied To: Sanford Duke, Michigan Ford, Georgetown GPPI, Berkeley GSPP, Harvard Kennedy School

Schools Admitted To: Sanford Duke, Michigan Ford, Georgetown GPPI

Schools Rejected From: GSPP, HKS

Decision: Ford School, because I was getting more $ from them

Undergraduate institution: Top research university

Undergraduate GPA: 3.49

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.6

Undergraduate Major: Sociology

GRE Quantitative Score: 650

GRE Verbal Score: 730

GRE AW Score: 5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3 years

Years of Work Experience: 3

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 2 years working in city government

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think this was pretty good, though I could have spent more time on it. I especially could have spent more time on my HKS statements--I was being lazy and didn't really take too much time on it. My advice is that if you're going to spend around $75-$100 to apply somewhere, give it your absolute best shot.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think they were all very strong--one was from a professor who was my advisor, teacher, and employer. One was from my current supervisor, and another was from a woman I had done advocacy work with.

Other: When you apply, keep the strength of possible funding a consideration.

Edited by stucktomyshoe

• 3 months later...