1 week to decide! Humboldt State or San Jose Psychology!?

psych1987

Hello,

I need some advice, I have gone over the pros and cons for both schools numerous times. I ultimately want to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology (neuropsychcology). I have received offers from two programs. I am not sure which school has a better program, or are they similar in terms of quality? What will help my application when I apply for PhD programs?

Here are the two:

San Jose State University - MA Research and Experimental Psyhcology

Humboldt State University - MA Psychology, Academic Research 

They are both CSUs, but Humboldt is less known. San Jose has great ratings but their computer science, business and engineering programs are what make it such a desirable school. Is there a huge difference between psychology departments and their master's programs at either college?

Thank you! 

Guest joshw4288

Hi there, 

After looking at both programs, it isn't clear to me how either of these are going to position you for applying to PhD clinical psychology programs...

Perhaps more information on what you are trying to accomplish and what your circumstances are will assist other readers in providing useful feedback. What is your background?

49 minutes ago, joshw4288 said:

After looking at both programs, it isn't clear to me how either of these are going to position you for applying to PhD clinical psychology programs...

Judging from the focus of the programs, it seems OP probably needs more research experience before applying.

Thank you for your responses, I want to focus on clinical neuropsychology. I want to research and become a licensed clinician.  I have a BA psychology and I have 3 research experiences. My GPA was lacking due to personal issues, I feel I need to be a more competitive candidate. I am wondering if there is a huge difference between the programs themselves or if one has a better psychology department, if anyone had heard anything.

Edited by psych1987