Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)

14 posts in this topic

Hello Friends, 

As this academic year is coming to a close, and MPH applications will be opening in just 6ish (months depending on where you're applying to of course!), I thought a thread for us to discuss, share our thoughts, feelings, fears, and the trials and tribulations of MPH applications would be helpful. I also find it helpful to know who's applying where I'm excited to start this journey and I'm hoping we all see acceptance letters/emails in under a year! 

Schools/programs I plan to apply to: 

UBC MPH

UBC MSc in PPH (still need to start looking for a supervisor, how soon is too soon?)

SFU MPH 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello ,

I am an international applicant from India with a bachelor's degree and 2 years of research experience.

I will be applying for 2018 MPH programs in Canada.

It will be really helpful if some one can help me knowing about the the admission requirement (which most of the universities require) :at least one undergraduate statistics course .

We didn't had any such course at UG level.

From where to get this?

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2017 at 7:02 PM, dentistdoc said:

Hello ,

I am an international applicant from India with a bachelor's degree and 2 years of research experience.

I will be applying for 2018 MPH programs in Canada.

It will be really helpful if some one can help me knowing about the the admission requirement (which most of the universities require) :at least one undergraduate statistics course .

We didn't had any such course at UG level.

From where to get this?

Thank you

I know that most schools require you have your undergraduate degree, submit a letter of intent, and 2-3 references who can speak to your academic ability. Most require a stats course that you took during your undergraduate degree but most have to be approved by the school so you may want to ask the schools that you're applying to. Becuase you're an international applicant you may also be required to write the GRE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi !

I have been trying to look for online courses that would fulfil the calculus requirements of the schools but with no success. Can anyone please help me by suggesting any, if available ?

The universities recommend courses which they teach but unfortunately i cannot attend them since I'm an international applicant. If anyone has any idea what i can do to earn those course requirement, please help.

Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2017 at 6:49 PM, jenniferkp said:

Hello Friends, 

As this academic year is coming to a close, and MPH applications will be opening in just 6ish (months depending on where you're applying to of course!), I thought a thread for us to discuss, share our thoughts, feelings, fears, and the trials and tribulations of MPH applications would be helpful. I also find it helpful to know who's applying where I'm excited to start this journey and I'm hoping we all see acceptance letters/emails in under a year! 

Schools/programs I plan to apply to: 

UBC MPH

UBC MSc in PPH (still need to start looking for a supervisor, how soon is too soon?)

SFU MPH 

 

Hi!

 

I am so happy you started this thread. I am applying to the following schools for 2018:

UBC MSN/MPH

UVIC MPH

SFU MPH

What is the major difference between the MPH and the MSc PPH at UBC? Seems the MSc is more data driven? Not sure. 

I have a BSN but only worked clinically for 2 months before starting fulltime as a research assistant through uvic. I also have side gigs writting curriculum for nurses as well. Hoping that my experience this year helps with my admissions. I didn't get in last year but after one year of extra experience, my CV has changed drastically and is more research orientated. What is your area of interest?

Excited!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

I am applying to Lakehead mph and Waterloo mph. 

Does anybody has any info about lakehead mph? Which mph program is more recognized Lakehead or Waterloo?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2017 at 6:31 AM, jenniferkp said:

I know that most schools require you have your undergraduate degree, submit a letter of intent, and 2-3 references who can speak to your academic ability. Most require a stats course that you took during your undergraduate degree but most have to be approved by the school so you may want to ask the schools that you're applying to. Becuase you're an international applicant you may also be required to write the GRE. 

Thank you.....i will definitely try contacting the schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-7-12 at 1:19 PM, AspiringDove said:

Hi !

I have been trying to look for online courses that would fulfil the calculus requirements of the schools but with no success. Can anyone please help me by suggesting any, if available ?

The universities recommend courses which they teach but unfortunately i cannot attend them since I'm an international applicant. If anyone has any idea what i can do to earn those course requirement, please help.

Thanks :)

Hi,

There are several online courses offered by Athabasca university. You can check their statistics courses and email the university you want to apply to ask them if it would meet their requirements

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi friends! 

I have the intention of applying for MPH in UBC but really need scholarship for the program. How do I get funding grants? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eche said:

Hi friends! 

I have the intention of applying for MPH in UBC but really need scholarship for the program. How do I get funding grants? 

I second this inquiry. This may sound like a stupid question, but how (and where) can you apply for funding/bursaries/scholarships ahead of the program? Or are you automatically considered for one upon entry to certain programs? I have always wondered this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello future MPH buddies! I'll also be applying to MPH programs this fall/winter, and I think I have my choices narrowed to UBC (MPH), SFU (Population health science), UofA (Health promotion or health policy/management), and UofT (Health Promotion, possibly with a Collaborative Specialization in Community Development or Public Health Policy). 

As for funding, from my research I gather that it is possible to attain if your MPH has a significant research component (i.e. through the capstone project or the equivalent written paper component), such as through the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master's Program ($17,500 for 12 months). 

One also may be able to get funding during the practicum, depending on where you go. In terms of the schools I'm interested in, I know that UofT has a paid practicum (recommend stipend of $10,000… which is obviously attractive). For UBC particularly, their website states one can apply for up to $2500 in needs-based funding during the practicum (not sure the success rate of getting this though).

Many programs also offer merit-based entrance scholarships (which I believe you are automatically considered for… though double-check guidelines online), and some of these awards are contingent on receiving a competing award from another school (i.e. SFU Special Graduate Entrance Scholarship). 

It drives me crazy that all the funding and tuition info can't all be found in one place on these universities' respective websites… seems you have to go all over the place to find out! Does anyone have any interesting info on funding, tuition or pretty much anything else for UBC, SFU, UofA or UofT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 3:29 PM, vancouverrunner said:

I second this inquiry. This may sound like a stupid question, but how (and where) can you apply for funding/bursaries/scholarships ahead of the program? Or are you automatically considered for one upon entry to certain programs? I have always wondered this.

 

 

You and I are in similar positions in regards to our background and where we're applying! Do you mind if I ask where you applied last year? The MSc in PPH is more research oriented as opposed to practical. You have to complete a thesis/ research project where as in the MPH it's just a practicum. I would say the MSc would be more appealing if you're intending on pursuing a career in research/ academia as opposed to practicing as a public health professional, however, the MPH wouldn't completely discount you. In regards to funding, with the MSc, you would require a supervisor so therefore you can see if the supervisor can provide any form of funding. Funding for the MPH is similar to that of your undergrad, scholarships that would be considered need or merit based etc. You can also look at funding options for the NSERC or through CIHR however, these are largely based on your research proposal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2017 at 0:16 PM, AniSabi said:

Hi everyone,

I am applying to Lakehead mph and Waterloo mph. 

Does anybody has any info about lakehead mph? Which mph program is more recognized Lakehead or Waterloo?

Thanks

I had a prof in my undergrad who did the Lakehead MPH and she loved it! She said it was a really diverse group of people from all over the world with a wide array of backgrounds. I think that would be challenging to navigate through though. I'm uncertain of Waterloo's program! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2017 at 11:10 AM, emilywpg said:

Hello future MPH buddies! I'll also be applying to MPH programs this fall/winter, and I think I have my choices narrowed to UBC (MPH), SFU (Population health science), UofA (Health promotion or health policy/management), and UofT (Health Promotion, possibly with a Collaborative Specialization in Community Development or Public Health Policy). 

As for funding, from my research I gather that it is possible to attain if your MPH has a significant research component (i.e. through the capstone project or the equivalent written paper component), such as through the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master's Program ($17,500 for 12 months). 

One also may be able to get funding during the practicum, depending on where you go. In terms of the schools I'm interested in, I know that UofT has a paid practicum (recommend stipend of $10,000… which is obviously attractive). For UBC particularly, their website states one can apply for up to $2500 in needs-based funding during the practicum (not sure the success rate of getting this though).

Many programs also offer merit-based entrance scholarships (which I believe you are automatically considered for… though double-check guidelines online), and some of these awards are contingent on receiving a competing award from another school (i.e. SFU Special Graduate Entrance Scholarship). 

It drives me crazy that all the funding and tuition info can't all be found in one place on these universities' respective websites… seems you have to go all over the place to find out! Does anyone have any interesting info on funding, tuition or pretty much anything else for UBC, SFU, UofA or UofT?

I know UBC is a huge proponent of the practicum's being paid if this can be arranged with the agency that you're doing your practicum with. So I think that $2500 is largely there for students who don't get paid for their practicum work. $2500 is nothing though sadly especially if you stay in Vancouver! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now