Hi there! I came over from SDN forums. Need advice!

placebooooo

Hi everyone! 

Im kinda excited as this is my first post here. I just discovered these forums today! 

Anyway, like the title says. I come (in peace) from sdn. I am currently an undergraduate chem major (junior) with a 3.90 overall and 3.92 science gpa. All my undergrad years, I have been preparing for dental school admissions. Meaning, my rec letters, experiences and what not all pertain to dental.

Im thinking about doing a phd in Chem. I love chemistry, but I'm also interested in dentistry (but absolutely hate biology, which is a big part of dental. Not to mention I suck balls at bio). So I'm a bit conflicted as to what career I'm choosing. As such, I am keeping all options open for now. This summer, I'm gonna take the DAT, GRE, and chem GRE and see what doors open up from there. 

I'm posting to ask what I need to do to prepare for a phd application. I know I need new recommendation letters (how many though and from what types of professors? Just chem profs?)

aside from two two years of chemistry undergrad research in materials chemistry, I got no other chem experiences (everything is health related like volunteering at hospitals and stuff because of my initial dental track). 

Oh, I also have a first author publication to be submitted For review by the end of April ish (which according to My PI is a big deal?) I should have this paper out in time For phd applications but not in time for the dental application probably. 

How do phd phd applications work? When do they open? Is there one common app like dental school? What should I look out for?My chances at getting in to good schools? 

Basically, over the summer, what should I do to prep my grad application? Also, any career choice advice is welcome. 

I don't know anything about applying to dental school, so all my advice will be for applying to chemistry programs.

In terms of letters of recommendation, you will need at least three. One of these should obviously be from your PI, and the others should be from professors who know you well and speak to your abilities. Make sure when you ask them for a letter of rec that they feel they can write a strong letter, not just a generic letter.

PhD applications are mostly due in December or January, and they typically open in the late summer or early fall.

Your GPA is obviously very strong, and the fact that you have a couple years of research experience is also good. The most important aspects that you should focus on are your personal statement and making sure your letters of recommendation are strong.