When to contact potential advisor

I am going to a STEM PhD program this fall. When is a good time to contact professors about joining their group? I am considering doing it early because it seems a lot of people are interested in the same professors that I am, but don't want to email too early and not receive a response.

Edited by Badger123
I can't grammar

Now is a fine time to start trying to initiate contact. In your email you can offer to contact them later in the summer if they wish, so that they know you're interested and then they can decide when they have time for you.

On 4/11/2017 at 7:27 PM, Badger123 said:

I am going to a STEM PhD program this fall. When is a good time to contact professors about joining their group? I am considering doing it early because it seems a lot of people are interested in the same professors that I am, but don't want to email too early and not receive a response.

I started contacting them around late summer (early-mid August). You can always start browsing professors' lab webpages and read their publications anytime - it's best to start this process early, especially since all that lab webpage browsing/paper reading can take time. Now is a good time to get started as well. Good luck!