Working out/going to the gym while in academia

Adelaide9216

2 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Do you have time to work out as a graduate student? 

You have time for what is important enough for you to make time for. Exercise, family, friends, sleep, household chores, hobbies, to name a few that you might need to actively set aside time for, or else they may fall by the wayside. 

2 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

If yes, what does your training consist of?

Why would there be a grad-student-specific answer to this one? There have to be a thousand websites and videos out there for your fitness level and level of engagement. That's what you need to worry about, as opposed to what random other people do. 

7 hours ago, fuzzylogician said:

You have time for what is important enough for you to make time for. Exercise, family, friends, sleep, household chores, hobbies, to name a few that you might need to actively set aside time for, or else they may fall by the wayside. 

Why would there be a grad-student-specific answer to this one? There have to be a thousand websites and videos out there for your fitness level and level of engagement. That's what you need to worry about, as opposed to what random other people do. 

I asked the question out of curiosity.

I love university gyms and their group fitness classes!! The school I did my master's at also had wonderful PE classes open to all students. I'd take four PE classes every term (about two hours a day, four days a week total).

I had been overweight since elementary school. I had never even been able to jog a single mile nonstop, and exercise of any kind made me feeling sick in ten minutes and would leave me winded and unable to function for the entire day. But by the end of my master's, I was deemed petite and muscular. I was able to run 10K races no problem and take military conditioning as a class (training with the cadets). I found a love for kickboxing and eventually found that even after an hour or two of intense exercise, I'd still be fully functional again within five minutes, as if nothing had happened, save the occasional bit of muscle fatigue.

I kinda stopped exercising again after moving to France, but I fully intend to get back into it when I start school again. Fortunately I didn't gain too much weight this year, from what I tell. My new school unfortunately won't have PE classes to take, but I will take advantage of gym membership and use it to participate in group exercise classes. I've never had a passion for exercise, so those classes really help with motivation.

Edited by ThousandsHardships

I haven't yet but I have a plan this summer that I would like to try out. Basically going to to gym in the middle of the afternoon on particularly hot days. I get too hot to focus pretty easily, I'm usually most sleepy that time of day anyway, and I assume the gym's air conditioned so I think it would work. Shouldn't be full of students over the summer either.

I just started jogging recently; the first time I've properly exercised in ten years. I'm having a great time and it's been really rewarding, but doing a morning run tends to leave me pretty exhausted and unmotivated to get my work done afterwards, which isn't ideal. I usually work best in the evening and I enjoy morning runs, so I don't want to swap my schedule around. I'm thinking of just prioritising my work for now and getting a bit fitter over the summer when there aren't so many deadlines.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...