Already questioning decision...

realclearfuture

I am going to start a PhD program in the fall at Yale's biochemistry, biophysics & structural biology program... but I'm having cold feet after committing to this program! Is anyone else out there already feeling worried about making the wrong decision? I chose Yale because I felt like I fit in with the student body, I was excited by how their basic science could be supplemented by more clinical/cancer biology exposure, the collaborations available for science students within the law school, and of course, I have a (fairly "serious") relationship where I currently live in Boston-- Yale wasn't too far away (about 2 hours) and location was extremely important to me. 

Now I'm feeling like I should have accepted at similar programs such as UW Madison's IPiB, UC San Diego, University of Washington, UNC... *sigh* How are you guys dealing with second guessing yourself now that it's all over?? 

Hey, I think it is pretty normal to feel like you left something better behind when you choose from a bunch of good options.  I know every time I get close to choosing a school, I start to feel like I'm not valuing my other options enough.  At least you made a decision!  I'm still pulling my hair out over here.  Anyway, Yale is obviously a fantastic institution.  In the end, it seems you had no bad options, and once you get to Yale you'll just have to put your best foot forward to make the experience as great as it can be!  Good luck! 

As someone who's going to UW-Madison for IPiB next year, I used the same metrics to make my decision. If you felt good about Yale and you're ready to give your best effort in the program/research area you chose, then I wouldn't worry. I wish you the very best of luck in the fall!

I'm married, so I had to go to the school that was the best fit for both my partner and I. I got into much better schools than the one I'm going to, so I am definitely feeling a little regret. I think what you're feeling is pretty normal. It's a big decision.