GPA on CV?

abcmnolmn

Is there an accepted standard for whether one should put their GPA on their academic CV? I'm not applying for jobs- I'm recently ABD and using my CV for things like grants and conferences. I'm moderately proud of my 4.0 in my MA and PhD, but I also don't want to look tacky. If yes, should I put my PhD, MA, and undergrad GPAs, or just PhD?

Since this might vary by field, I'm in the humanities

My opinion is that you should not put the GPA on your academic CV unless you are specifically requested to include it on your CV. Usually things that care about your GPA will ask for it in a different form anyways. And if they are asking for a CV then they want to see that you are a good scholar as well, so the GPA isn't what they are looking for on a CV. In that vein, I would recommend that you look at CVs of your professors or post-docs in your field and emulate their format. I don't know about your field, in my field, the biggest difference between an undergrad/1st-3rd year grad student and a senior grad student / postdoc/ prof CV is the level of details for each entry. In the former, there are usually 3-4 bullet points for each entry. In the latter, we just list the entry with at most 1 bullet point and only in cases where extra clarification is absolutely necessary. So in my field, if you start adding GPA to your education entries (which would already have bullet points for thesis title and advisor) it might look a little tacky and give the impression that you're not as far along as you really are. But again, check what your field does and emulate those senior to you.

Finally, not to put down your 4.0 GPA, but my school recently released the distribution of GPAs for grad students. Basically everyone has a 4.0, prompting our school to consider eliminating grades from grad classes altogether in favour of just granting "Pass/Fail" or "A / Pass / Fail". But most of the faculty didn't like this idea. I could imagine this change happening in a decade or so though.

Yeah, take a look at senior grad students' and postdocs' CVs. Do they have grades listed? I would be surprised if that were the case (but then who knows, academic fields can vary quite a bit). I personally wouldn't put that information on my CV, both because grades don't matter for what you're applying to (if they did, they would ask for a transcript), and because frankly high grades and both expected and the norm at this stage. I think it's fine to have "summa/magna cum laude", but not an actual GPA, at this stage in your career. 

I think mine is different because I have a resume but not a CV. I do include my GPA because I am in a terminal masters degree and I feel like I've worked hard for my grades. Also I may be applying for different things. For example a lot of federal internships/jobs ask you about your GPA and if you are in an honor society. Its important for me to list both on my resume because it highlights my application to HR and increases my chances for an interview. But I'm not going strictly into academia.

Short answer: No.

Long Answer: No because as long as you're in good standing in your program, nobody cares.

And @akraticfanatic just, don't.  Nobody cares about the "upward trend" except for admissions committee.

10 hours ago, TMP said:

Short answer: No.

Long Answer: No because as long as you're in good standing in your program, nobody cares.

And @akraticfanatic just, don't.  Nobody cares about the "upward trend" except for admissions committee.

Hmm, I've been told to include it if the GPA is good. Is there any harm in including it?

1 hour ago, akraticfanatic said:

Hmm, I've been told to include it if the GPA is good. Is there any harm in including it?

Do you want to be viewed as an undergrad or a professional?