University of Ottawa, Master of Information Studies Fall 2017

myrmidonqueen

Hi everyone!

I just officially accepted my offer from the University of Ottawa in Information Studies a few minutes ago and I'm very excited :)

I was wondering if anyone else on this website is also going to be a student in this program in the fall and would like to connect via Facebook group or something!

Also, if any Ottawa residents have any recommendations for finding housing (other than checking kijiji and the student housing billboard), please post them here! Gotta find a place to live soon...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, there! 

First of all @myrmidonqueen Congratulations on your admission to UOttawa! I am currently a prospective student and am waiting for a response from McGill and UOttawa respectively. I have been looking at the Ottawa housing market, and I would recommend waiting it out to find housing, the places being posted right now aren't the best. A friend of mine found her flat in July and moved in on September 1 so do not despair! I would recommend if you are sick of Kijiji and the billboard investigate WalkScore and PadMapper. Both are stellar in weeding out the frauds and are centralised systems that take into account all of the housing websites and their postings that are available! 

Did you ever hear back from McGill? And, if you don't mind my asking what was your GPA and proposed area of research. If I am not accepted at McGill, I hope to see you and others in Ottawa! 

Here are the links to PadMapper Ottawa and WalkScore Ottawa

https://www.padmapper.com/apartments/ottawa-on 

https://www.walkscore.com/apartments/search/CA-ON/Ottawa

Edited by caffienated

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-04-24 at 1:18 PM, caffienated said:

Hi, there! 

First of all @myrmidonqueen Congratulations on your admission to UOttawa! I am currently a prospective student and am waiting for a response from McGill and UOttawa respectively. I have been looking at the Ottawa housing market, and I would recommend waiting it out to find housing, the places being posted right now aren't the best. A friend of mine found her flat in July and moved in on September 1 so do not despair! I would recommend if you are sick of Kijiji and the billboard investigate WalkScore and PadMapper. Both are stellar in weeding out the frauds and are centralised systems that take into account all of the housing websites and their postings that are available! 

Did you ever hear back from McGill? And, if you don't mind my asking what was your GPA and proposed area of research. If I am not accepted at McGill, I hope to see you and others in Ottawa! 

Here are the links to PadMapper Ottawa and WalkScore Ottawa

https://www.padmapper.com/apartments/ottawa-on 

https://www.walkscore.com/apartments/search/CA-ON/Ottawa

Hi there! Actually it turns out I will be attending McGill! I got their offer a few days ago and accepted it, having to unfortunately rescind my acceptance at Ottawa which I felt very guilty about.

Have you heard back from the universities yet? :)

• 1 month later...

Congrats on your acceptance!

Just to answer your original question in case some future UOttawa students see this thread, there's a lot of good resources out there to help you find an affordable place to live. The website I used to find a place was rentals.ca which I believe has listings for a lot of cities besides Ottawa. It was convenient because unlike kijiji etc. they have a map view that lets you see the locations of places immediately so you can find somewhere that's commutable to campus. Rental websites in general also have less scams which is important to be careful of. Padmapper is okay, but it just aggregates results from other websites so they don't verify the authenticity of the listings on their site which can be frustrating. 

Good luck at McGill!