Online V. Live

a1156

Question

I've been accepted to SNHU for their master's in accounting program and I am trying to decide if I want to complete my degree online or in person. I would rather attend in person because I would like to relocate but it would be a lot easier for me to just attend online and stay where I am. The only concern I have with attending purely online is my ability to build a new network. My undergraduate degree and work experience are in a different field and I worry that a lack of human interaction for my studies will make it harder to connect with others. I'm not worried about how employers perceive an online degree- SNHU is an accredited university and online programs are becoming more common these days. 

Does anyone have any experience creating a network with an online degree? It is possible?

1 answer to this question

I'm not going to be able to provide the most concrete response, so take this with a grain of salt:

First, I would not imagine your accounting program would require in-depth networking as the types of positions this program would open up for you are posted all over job boards. If you're looking for more support-networking than career-networking, depending on how the professor sets the class up, most online courses will have discussion boards in which you would complete weekly coursework along with providing feedback on others students work. This would help you build a rapport with people in the class which you could develop further through e-mail, additional courses, etc.